Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 Watergarden Shrug Knitalong
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Karen K
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  07:55:44 AM  Show Profile Send Karen K a Private Message
Maybe it's me but I can't seem to find the pattern on Jane's website. Is the the "Two Shrugs" pattern?
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  11:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Yes, it is, Karen. Here's the link:http://www.janethornley.com/patterns_sale.html and 'Two is Shrugs' the last pattern on the page.

Jane Thornley
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  03:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
I love MJB's comment about "seaweed" colorway.

I find I need to weave ends in as I go along, with so many slippery yarns, tapes, and ribbons. Any other advice from others or Jane?

==Mary
Go to Top of Page

vcmcd@aol.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  11:34:45 AM  Show Profile Send vcmcd@aol.com a Private Message
Hi Everyone,
I am loving the Shoreline shrug so far, and would like to know how to post my photos.
Thanks,
Gina

http://knittinggems.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  8:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Jane, you've said that in previous versions of the pattern you said 60 sts, etc. If we bought when it first came out would there be a way to update the pattern now? Would we be able to download again or just make notes? What do you suggest? I'm just asking because if I make it now (I am making it now) then decide down the road to do another I won't remember the changes.

Thanks!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  02:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hi everybody. I posted more pictures and info on my Knitalong site yesterday and I have an exciting announcement for knitalongers coming later this week.
Meantime, on to answering your questions: Mary, with my shrugs, I always knit in the ends as I go along, too. When you're working drop stitches, in particuliar, those frisky ends need to be restrained early or they could misbehave even before you're finished the sleeve,
Gina, send your phots to me at jane@janethornley.com and I'll post them to my site. Are you the Gina from the blog KNITTING GEMS? If so, everyone should go see Gina's posting of her sleeve. It's gorgeous.
Jamye, I'll email you a copy with the changes. I think I can find your email but if you could just email me at jane@janethornley.com, it'll be faster, I'm sure.
Go to Top of Page

Golden29
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  4:52:21 PM  Show Profile Send Golden29 a Private Message
Got my yarn today !! I'm very excited - I was going to order some yarns from a referral Jane gave me but the woman that owned the yarn shop was going to be away until next week and since it was being shipped from the U.S. I thought knowing my luck it would get stuck at the border forever and I was anxious to get going! SO I went to my teeny tiny local knitting shop - to see what they had - not a lot of choices but the lady was very helpful. This is what I got - I'm hoping this yarn will work with the pattern - Jane can you comment on that or do you think I should change one of two of the yarns - ? By the way - you'll notice the yarns are more pink/fushia/yellow/gold - I had intended on going with blues/greens (Watergarden colors) but when I looked at them compared to the other bright ones........I couldn't resist them.

Sari - color 702 - http://www.kertzer.com/products/yarns/yarn-SRK-sari.html
It's Kool - color 7005 - (SHOWS ON THE SCREEN AS GREENISH - IT'S ACTUALLY VERY YELLOW/GOLD) http://www.handknitting.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.4/it.A/id.3357/.f
KORALLO - COLOR 205 - http://www.needfulyarnsinc.com/yarns.php
Manos del Uruguay - color 202 - http://www.darnityarn.com/index.php?item=129
Sinflex Filati Lame - color 004 - http://www.needfulyarnsinc.com/yarns.php?manufId=2&seasonId=12&yarnId=191

The last two yarns I'm thinking of knitting together....does anyone have any comments. Anyone think I should replace one of the yarns with something else that would work/look better? I spoke to an online yarn retailer here in Canada and she suggested for this kind of project I really should see the yarns and pick them out myself rather than order them online. And for me to do this, as I said I had to work with my local yarn store. Lovely lady in the store but not much of a selection of luxury yarns.

Once this first shrug is finished and I'm feeling more confident with the pattern I will definitely order from that lady that is currently away that Jane referred me to.

Beverly, Ontario, Cda
Go to Top of Page

marybk
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  04:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit marybk's Homepage Send marybk a Private Message
Certainly Jane will give a more knowledgeable response but now that I'm on the body of mine, I think a variety of yarns, especially since you have the Sari, is really fine. I'm at the point where I'm knitting textures and vignettes randomly and the shrug seems to look just fine. I don't mean I'm using a wide ribbon for a drop stitch. I'm using the recommended yarn for the vignette but mixing the sequence. Hope that makes sense. The point is, the basic directions allow lots of freedom of choice.

==Mary, who may need a second cup of tea before she tries to explain anything else!
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  02:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
I agree with MAry, Beverly. From what I can tell, you have a good range of goldy colors there and the Sari ribbon will work really well as will the other two main yarns. I'd knit the Lame together with either the cotton or the Manos but, really, there aren't too may yarns that won't work with this pattern. Have you started yet? Do you have pictures???
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  09:01:49 AM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
I just started my shrug a couple of days ago and I am loving this project. It is really fun and it's very rewarding to see the color combos take shape. I'm already planning my next shrug. I would love to see some sort of longer, kimono style jacket pattern that incorporates the same style of combination knitting. I love this look and I think it would be great in a very loose, unconstructed jacket. Jane???
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  02:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
JGOLOSO, I'm on to it! In fact, I'm planning two jacket patterns for fall-- a longish one and another which will be pretty much as you describe it and knit side to side to make those vertical lines. Also, I have one loosely constructed top/wrap combo (neither one nor the other--NOT a poncho and with sleeves)designed and two vests!

Jane http://www.janethornley.com/journal_knitalong.php
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  11:09:04 AM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
I was getting ready to cast on a scarf in various novelty yarns today when I saw a picture of the Wategarden Shrug on Jane's site. I guess I am impaired in some way but I was unable to locate a link to purchase the pattern. Can someone post a link here? Thanks much.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  11:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tangled Jane

Yes, it is, Karen. Here's the link:http://www.janethornley.com/patterns_sale.html and 'Two is Shrugs' the last pattern on the page.

Jane Thornley

Linda,
Check here. I told you it was pretty, didn't I?

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  11:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hi, Linda. Just click on the maple leaf and it will take you to the pattern purchase page. Here's the link: http://www.janethornley.com/portfolio_shrugs.html

Go to Top of Page

MJB
Chatty Knitter

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  02:48:31 AM  Show Profile Send MJB a Private Message
Hi All,

I posted a photo of my 'seaweed' shrug on Jane's wwww. I am into the back and will do a few (2?) rows of drop stitch as Jane suggests.
this project moves! But I did wake up this morning and note that I have a birthday present and another shrug to finish for dates in June...
It is perfect 'shrug' weather here. I may need to make another for myself! (seaweed is a B-day gift in July)

Happy knitting!
mjb
Go to Top of Page

Golden29
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  09:35:42 AM  Show Profile Send Golden29 a Private Message
Hi - thanks for the comments on my yarn choices - I now feel comfortable going ahead with the knitting . I just wanted to wait for some feedback in case I needed to change one of my yarns.

Now - first question - when doing the cuff - Jane has written size 4.5 needles - is that 4.5mm or US sizing - on the next part of the directions it indicates both U.S. and mm sizing (9mm and US13). Just want to make sure I'm using the right size - can someone comment on that for me. I'll probably start tonight, when I get home from work.

Beverly, Ontario, Cda
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  10:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Hi, Beverly. The cuffs directions refer to 4.5 mm needles for the cuffs. Earlier on in the materials list, I gave both the 4.5 mm as well as the US Size 7 but, after that, referred to the millimeters size only in the directions. If you gave a pair of 4.5 needles for the cuff plus a pair of size 9mm for the sleeves and body, you're armed and ready to go!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  1:28:14 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
Is is too late to join the watergarden shrug KAL? I will be casting on this week.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  2:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
No, Linda. It definately isn't too late! Join in and you can scroll through the first postings on my knitalong site for tips. Jane
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  2:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I'm on the back...about halfway through. Mine's pinks so I guess it's not exactly a watergarden...more like a Southwestern sunset!

~~~~Jamye

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?