Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Is YFWD the same as YO?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:32:35 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I know that sometimes American patterns use different terms from Canadian and European patterns and I know that somewhere in some book somewhere on a shelf somewhere in the vast wilderness of books strewn about my house there's a conversion chart but it's faster to ask here!

I'm about to start the Eros shawl and the pattern is K1, *yfwd, k2tog to last stitch, k1 and repeat til you're all out of Eros! A Google search hasn't really turned up anything helpful. Thanks everyone!! ( gotta finish by thursday to wear it out!!)

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:39:57 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hello Knitty: From the pattern you give I would say that yfwd (yarn forward) is the same as yo (yarn over). What you are doing is making up for the stitch you decrease by the k2tog. Hope this helps and that you get your shawl done in time. Take care. Beverley

"Be kind to you neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:39:57 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hello Knitty: From the pattern you give I would say that yfwd (yarn forward) is the same as yo (yarn over). What you are doing is making up for the stitch you decrease by the k2tog. Hope this helps and that you get your shawl done in time. Take care. Beverley

"Be kind to you neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:41:54 AM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
According to this http://knitting.about.com/library/bllearnyo.htm , yes it's the same. I had a pattern recently that had a repeating pattern. What was weird was the 1st pattern said to YO, the 2nd repeat of the pattern said to YFwd. It looked like I was doing the same thing and the repeat of the pattern didn't look any different in the picture, so I had to look this up myself to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  10:41:54 AM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
According to this http://knitting.about.com/library/bllearnyo.htm , yes it's the same. I had a pattern recently that had a repeating pattern. What was weird was the 1st pattern said to YO, the 2nd repeat of the pattern said to YFwd. It looked like I was doing the same thing and the repeat of the pattern didn't look any different in the picture, so I had to look this up myself to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:32:33 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Thank you! I'll try to dig up my conversion chart this weekend and double check and I'll post the "translations"!!

Shouldn't take long on 8mm needles! (famous last words??)!

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  11:32:33 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Thank you! I'll try to dig up my conversion chart this weekend and double check and I'll post the "translations"!!

Shouldn't take long on 8mm needles! (famous last words??)!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe