Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Ever trashed a project?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  5:17:43 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message
New to this forum but not to online fora generally - just stumbled on it a few days ago, and it looks like a great site.

I've been knitting all my life. I only threw out one thing. I have a Christmas stocking pattern that my mom had used to knit stockings for me & my two sisters when we were little. She recently found it and gave it to me so that I could knit a stocking for my daughter.

It is knit flat and sewed up the back and is an intarsia pattern from Hell. My mom's was a kit and came with a wee bit of mohair for a beard on a cute little Santa's face. I couldn't find mohair so used some white eyelash yarn.

I mis-read the pattern at first and tried to knit it on four dpns. Yikes!! What a disaster. I kept dropping stitches, trying to carry rather than do the intarsia (because how do you do that in the round anyway?) the white eyelash was nearly invisible on the needles, etc etc etc. I think I dropped more stitches than I actually knit on Santa's face! My husband never heard me swear like that ever in our then-15 years of marriage!

The first attempt ended up in the trash, after I realized I was supposed to have knit it flat. I just couldn't bother to frog it. The second attempt came out OK and then I made one for my husband, too - and even adapted it to a smaller version with my cat's face on it for the cat. (I know, crazy - but it was getting kind of fun by then.)

My mom recently gave me a half-finished sweater that she started in 1983 or thereabouts. Nobody in our family fits into this size any more, and needless to say the design & color are both way out of style. Plus it reeks of cigarette smoke - my mom had stored it in her garage, where she keeps all her craft stuff, but also where she & my dad go to sneak smokes when the grandkids are around. I don't smoke and can't stand the smell. I really should just chuck the whole thing but don't have the heart.

So, any size 6s out there who like antique-rose early in early 80s styles??

I have a pure-white DK-weight half-finished sweater in an 8 or 6 from around the same time, maybe more like 1988. The gauge was screwed up and it was never going to fit me even then, still less now when I wear a 14. It's been sitting in my stash all these 20 years .... this one I'm going to frog, as it's great yarn - when I get to it. I just haven't found the perfect project for it. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

abt1950
Permanent Resident

3019 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  09:15:14 AM  Show Profile Send abt1950 a Private Message
I've never thrown anything out but I've got lots of antique WIPs--the cute dinosaur sweater for my 4 year old son (he's 20 now); the baby blanket for my niece (she's married and has a daughter); the Mobius Scarf made out of Lion Brand chenille (need I say more?); a sweater that I ran out of yarn for 10 years ago (found a bag of it on eBay last year--same dye lot--so there's hope), plus a couple more frogged or to be frogged.

I've given away a few finished disasters, but I've never trashed yarn. Years ago I saw an obscure Swedish movie based on fairy tales. In one part, there were 3 brothers who couldn't figure out what was causing their apartment to smell. Then they remembered that they had bought a fish and misplaced it (how you misplace a dead fish, I don't know). At any rate, while they were looking for it, they found a stash of gold pieces sewn into the couch cusions. The moral of the story--"Even a dead fish can be useful some day." So maybe all that dead yarn will be too.

Anne

Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  10:24:06 AM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message
I havent had to trash anything for a long time. There is one sweater that I gave away to someone else because it was a beige that turned me a rather surprisingly delacate green. She finished it and wears it and glows in it. I have given project yarn away when I knew it would never be used by me. and I almost never frog anything. what I will do instead is keep the project in whatever form until I am ready to deal with it and then I will take the loose end and knit directly from one project to the other. That way I have the satisfaction of watching the botched mess dissapear and the yarn does not have to be handled more than once.
That way it doesn't become any more radioactive than it was when I stopped and looked and saw whatever made me say oh S#$@. I am really careful about what I knit and for who, so I havent dropped anything in the goodwill pile for a long time. hwever that isn't to say it doesn't happen or won't. what a releif, someone else does this too.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  11:08:18 AM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
I usually don't regard it as a disaster if I don't like the way something is coming out. I'll just frog and rewind and go on to something else. But I've got a couple that'll stand up to this thread.
Way back, waaaaaay bacl when I was 12 or so we were on vacation and I wanted something more to do than Barbie clothes. Me and Ma were shopping in an old Grants and saw a big sale in the yarn department. Wandered over and there was this lovely mohair, just yummy and soft on sale for $1 per ball. Course this is 1962 or 63 and $1 then was about $7 now-not exactly cheap. There's also a new Coats and Clark leaflet with a model wearing a sleeveless shell (big collar though) in ---ta da--blue mohair.
I pout, Ma caves in on the condition that I FINISH the sweater and we get 10 balls of yarn (it calls for 9 but we buy an extra), 2 pairs of needles and the pattern book ($.50).
Back to the vacation house we go. I spend 2 days trying desperately to understand what "knit in the row below" means and screwing it up royally. She can't figure it out either. Back we go across the river to Portsmouth and find a real yarn shop where the ladies are nice enough to help a pair of idiots who bought everything at the 5&10. Oh, so that's what it means. No one thought to tell me that brioche rib uses nearly twice as much yarn as any other stitch.
I started and I plugged away at it steadily and watched those skeins evaporate. Used more than 6 balls in the back. I have 10 to start. Okay, I KNOW I'm going to run out, but I don't want to face reality so I keep hoping it will miraculously work out somehow right up until I knit the last inch of the last ball and I'm still 3 inches from the shoulder on the front.
Now we're back home in NJ. Got Grants here too. They don't got the mohair. Check all stores that sell yarn within about 25 miles. No robin's egg/turquoise kid mohair. Annoy father seriously by calling yarn company long distance. Yarn has been discontinued.
Throw finished back and 90%finished front into footlocker, kick same and sulk for about 10 years.
Frog sweater---you know that was fun.
Wind into hanks and wash to reset twist.
Fondle beautiful, soft, baby blue mohair that created so much grief.
Throw it away.
Lin
Go to Top of Page

ana
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  04:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit ana's Homepage Send ana a Private Message
A couple of years ago, I was making a very simple, very cute baby sweater out of one skein of the Fiesta Gelato Ribbon. It was a spendy skein, but it was only one, so I felt ok about it. Half way through finishing the front, with the back already complete, I realized that the size/gauge was completely wrong. I have the tendency to be a tight knitter, so this shouldn't be a surprise. Sure enough, after careful measurements, I was off by quite a lot. I started to frogged and was shocked when it just became a tangled mess. Everything knotted up and I grew more and more frustrated. So much so, that I threw the entire thing in the trash. I felt a tiny bit of satisfaction, but, mostly frustration with the yarn.

ana purls
Go to Top of Page

wizzer11
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  1:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Send wizzer11 a Yahoo! Message Send wizzer11 a Private Message
I'm a realitively new knitter. I don't know how to frog properly so that i can continue knitting. So if I make a mistake or drop a stitch it either gets frogged completely or the trash can inherits whatever it was that I am working on.

I have plans on taking some classes for learning to how fix mistakes.
~Ana
Go to Top of Page

wizzer11
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  1:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Send wizzer11 a Yahoo! Message Send wizzer11 a Private Message
I have also enjoyed reading everyone's stories of woe. Now I won't feel guilting about throwing out any projects that just don't quite cut the cheese...ha ha.
~Ana
Go to Top of Page

yiknit
New Pal

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  2:43:03 PM  Show Profile Send yiknit a Private Message
My best friend won't let me throw projects out. She waits until I'm really frustrated then she takes it from me. I don't know what she does with them as I tell I never want to see it again.

Shirley

"If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible lesson!" - Gwen Goodnight
Go to Top of Page

Dspen89
Chatty Knitter

330 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  8:19:33 PM  Show Profile Send Dspen89 a Private Message
It tugs at my heart (and I guess my guilty conscious when I think of how much I spend on yarn) to think of just throwing something away. I try to talk myself into frogging it to re-use the yarn (or it just sits in my closet until the end of time).

I agree though, sometimes it's really better for our sanity and knitting vibes to just let something go. I've put a few things into the Goodwill bag if they just didn't come out right, I figured maybe somebody could salvage it!

Although... I've just started experimenting with a mohair blend and have learned it doesn't rip out, therefore I've been cutting and tossing more than I've been knitting with. [**]

This may be the one for me that the whole darn ball ends up in the trash.

Dawn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawnzknits/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  05:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
As much as I hate to waste yarn, sometimes I cave and just throw something away. This happens after I have been so frustrated that I'm ready to scream.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

kidbiz6@comcast.net
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  06:12:54 AM  Show Profile Send kidbiz6@comcast.net a Private Message
I have a few UFO's that I have completely given up on. I can't stand to look at them but can't bring myself to toss either.

I am a Catholic school teacher and the guilt of waste KILLS me! So, I deal with the clutter in my "at home" basket and move on to the next thing. I have thrown out the beginnings of things that did not work and are too much trouble to frog.

Thanks for sharing all of your stories. Now I feel that I have the courage to take that 'knit in the round' tank and toss it.
Go to Top of Page

Dances with Needles
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  8:34:50 PM  Show Profile Send Dances with Needles a Private Message
I just pulled a sock top off my needles. I found something I didn't know existed, a varigated yarn that knits up just plain ugly. It will go to the SnB tomorrow night and be given to whoever wants it.

DWN
Go to Top of Page

hillstreetmama
Permanent Resident

USA
3448 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  6:37:21 PM  Show Profile Send hillstreetmama a Private Message
I have a 3/4 done baby sweater in the attic with matching booties and mittens....the recipient is almost 30 now and has two kids of her own! I still like the yarn, but never liked the pattern...I think it's time to go. I threw away my very first project last winter. It was a cream-colored wool vest with double rows of cables front and back. It was my first sweater, and the class ended before I got the arm and neck edgings added. I tried to figure it out myself, and finally set it aside....in 1976. I found it when I was emptying a bedroom after my third child moved out. We oohed and ahhed, and then I tossed it in the trash, plastic needles and all!
Go to Top of Page

Isis Rising
Chatty Knitter

320 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  7:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isis Rising's Homepage Send Isis Rising a Private Message
I recently ripped back a lace shawl, that I was over a 1000-yards into, when I saw a GLARING mistake in the the lace pattern which went all the way up the back of the shawl.
The mistake was so ugly, I couldn't even claim it to be a design feature.

Why didn't I notice it sooner? With the varigated pattern, it wasn't noticable, until I moved it to a longer needle cable-- and spread it out. UGH! I wanted to cry. . .

http://isisrising.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
Permanent Resident

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  01:33:38 AM  Show Profile Send Mickey a Private Message
Isis,
OUCH!! We feel for you!
Hugs coming your way
Go to Top of Page

csutliff
Chatty Knitter

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  05:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit csutliff's Homepage Send csutliff a Private Message
wavy boucle. Haven't figured out a good reason for it to exist. It tempts you like a siren and is the most hideous yarn to knit with. I did actually finish the stupid slippers I was making for a friend with the yarn, and I use the term yarn loosely, but I have several skiens of this crap left and it just feels too yukky foisting it off on someone else. Problem, can't bear to throw out what looks to me like the money. Also baby yarn that had knots every few rows...tiny rows, I was making a baby hat. Still have it all, half finished hat and yarn, just sitting around reminding me how hateful it is.
I needed some intervention to oust these foul fiends and I think I found it after five pages here. LOL!
Crystal

"Get your Knit On" http://www.freewebs.com/csutliff/
My Yahoo Knit Group!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/michiganknitters/
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  09:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
Crystal, how about donating it to a group or even to the goodwill type places. Then it out of your hair and someone else can use it if they want to .

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  12:02:57 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Boucle's generally are a pain to knit for most people. Especially loop boucle's because it's so easy to stick your needle in there. But the worst problem, usually, is that the way they're wrapped, they have no stretch and it screws up your tension something wicked.
If it's a fairly light boucle, sometimes the easiest answer is to strand in another yarn with stretch--like a plain sock yarn or sport weight. Some people find it easier to work if they double the boucle and some are able to adjust to the lack of give, just by knitting with almost no tension at all--loosy goosy.

Some people develop a passionate hatred for boucle. They can often be found lurking around the fuzzy yarns and muttering incantations about loops and lumps.

Deep, cleansing breath. Shoulders back and push that yarn right out of your life.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

baldocchi
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2006 :  02:14:40 AM  Show Profile Send baldocchi a Private Message
Hi all

I've been reading all about the wonderful ways you get rid of the projects that bit you. It's getting to be autumn, even here in California and I am reminded of a thread I came across last winter here on KR. For some of you who want to throw the yarn away, please consider this. You can even send some mohair that "can't be frogged" and these folks will take the time to frog it. They have nothing but time. Please take a look. I sent them a whole bunch of yarn last winter and whenever I think about it I think of all the hats the guys were able to make.

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48288

Thanks so much.

Nicole

If we don't get there together, we won't get there at all.
Go to Top of Page

lucylocket
Permanent Resident

4172 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  8:45:19 PM  Show Profile Send lucylocket a Private Message
Yes indeed I have but had little choice at the time. It was a few years ago - we had a mad siamese cat called George who used to chew anything knitted (or being knitted) lying around . I was making a jumper for my daughter who was about 6 at the time and yes! George gotone of the sleeves and just about ate it. I was so annoyed that I binned the whole thing and used what was left of the wool for something else.I tried to be more careful after that !!Lucylocket.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?