Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 Ever trashed a project?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

liberryqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  11:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit liberryqueen's Homepage Send liberryqueen a Private Message
I hear of many knitters exiling projects to the nether regions of closets, even under furniture...but have any of you actually thrown one into the trash? I have an evil project that even caused me intense fits when I tried to reclaim the yarn. The fibers clung together in the stitches and the knots that it tended to form, making de-tangling and winding a two-glasses-of-wine ordeal. I realized how much time I was wasting that I could be using to knit and in a fury I threw the whole thing in a bag and stuffed it into the trash. It felt so good.

this librarian knits...

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  11:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
When Rowan first came out with Denim yarn (10, 12, 15 years ago?) I bought it and kept trying to make a sweater for DS with it. The blue got all over whatever I was wearing and whatever I was sitting on. I finally tried to knit it outside by the pool (mmmm, summer house at the time) and the blue dye got all over me. I finally threw the whole bag of yarn and the book in the trash. I felt so much better.

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Yes here too. I can't remember the yarn it was a sweater for my gd. I had finished the sweater and while sewing it up found I had dropped a couple of sts. I couldn't get rip out so I finally threw it in the trash. So far the only thing. It was a uplifting experience. I have another sweater I am thinking of ripping out as I know I will never finish it, but haven't really decided yet.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  12:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Oh, yes! I tried to make a sweater out of cotton cone yarn about 10 years ago. Man - it was sorry looking! I tried it on halfway through and discovered that it was not going to flatter me at all! I looked like a pink cotton egg. Dropped the darn thing in a drawer for 2 years, until one day, spring-cleaning and gathering stuff for goodwill, I decided to drop it, the needles it was on, and all the rest into the charity bag.

I hope it found someone who it would suit!

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

slaggyc
Permanent Resident

USA
1216 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  12:35:42 PM  Show Profile Send slaggyc a Private Message
I"ve probably done it more than I should. I had three unfinished projects than had been sitting in my closet since last summer, and one day I just pulled out the needles and tossed them. It does actually feel good!
Go to Top of Page

Dottie Mae
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  2:46:46 PM  Show Profile Send Dottie Mae a Private Message
I am about to trash my faded partially finished Berroco Chinchilla afghan. (See related post) but I may want to save it for a lawsuit.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  3:57:01 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I understand chucking the project, but why throw away the needles?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  4:23:01 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

Yeah, I've never actually thrown needles away, I've given them away, but never chucked them out.

I remember trying to knit a jacket out of Chenille, I don't know what possessed me, as I hated the wool on sight, but I kept perservering, until I tried to frog a row and that was it, in an absolute fury, I ripped it off the needles and threw the lot in the fire.

My DH and kids crept around for the rest of the day, giving me anxious looks every now and then.

I've never done it since.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

DeAnn
Seriously Hooked

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  4:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit DeAnn's Homepage Send DeAnn a Private Message
I've trashed at least three projects. Things that were so frustrating to make that I knew I could never bear looking at them again, not even to rip the yarn out for re-use. It's been a few years since I've had anything more to "round file" thank goodness.

DeAnn
Ms.D's Knitting Knotebook

When the chips are down.....
The Buffalo is empty.
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  4:46:50 PM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
No I've never thrown away kniting or yarn.

There's a sweater that was my downfall last time I tried to knit, not sure how many years ago. I will sometime fix that neckline and give that sweater to a friend who will give it a nice new home. Without the history it has here.

And there are the socks with the too tight cast off that won't frog. I'm just tried to frog the ribbing but they weren't cooperative so they are hiding in their bag. Dang socks are finished I think except for the top on one.

Jeri
Go to Top of Page

liberryqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  5:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit liberryqueen's Homepage Send liberryqueen a Private Message
I'm impressed, ozknitter--into the fire!

I did not throw my needles away with this project, but if they had been un-detachble for any reason, or if I thought of the project whenever I looked at them...I might have tossed them too. I don't think it helped that part of my frustration with the pattern and yarn came from trying to work on it during the first month of my separation. So, intensely bad feelings were associated with it.

this librarian knits...
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  6:53:05 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message
I have donated three sweaters as they turned out way too large for me. I have also ripped back a cardigan and tossed part of the yarn as it was not salvageable. Felt great.
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  6:57:47 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I have thrown away half finished projects, and I feel like doing it now with my current project. It's just not going to work the way I envisioned it and I'm afraid there's no modification to it that would satisfy me.

Ultimately, my time is worth more than the money I'm essentially throwing out with the yarn. I don't even want to frog it all and rewind the yarn for later use.

I don't think there's anything wrong with throwing out an unloved project. Guilt is a waste of precious time.

Move on to something you really love. You're time is too valuable to do anything else.

Trish
Go to Top of Page

liberryqueen
Chatty Knitter

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  7:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit liberryqueen's Homepage Send liberryqueen a Private Message
Amen.

this librarian knits...
Go to Top of Page

boboknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  7:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit boboknits's Homepage Send boboknits a Private Message
Yep, count me in. I had bought 2 skeins of a tiny loopy boucle and had finished the hat and was closing off the top few stitches when I realized and had dropped some stitches. No problem, right? Yeah... I couldn't find the stitches for the life of me but I figured I could rip out the yarn and start again. Wrong. The frickin yarn was IMPOSSIBLE to rip because of all the loops so I got so ticked I literally ripped the hat in two and threw it in the trash. And yes, I felt SO much better after that!
Beth
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  09:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
I donated the needles with the sweater for two reasons. 1) In case the eventual donat-ee wanted to actually finish the d*** thing, and 2) because they were part of a Denise set that I HATED. And yes, I was nice enough to throw the whole set in the bag.

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  11:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
This thread is hilarious because I believe I can actually see the frustration....the march to the trash can....and the DUMP![:00]

I have one project that is BEGGING to be trashed. It's a bobble baby blanket...I made a mistake about 20 rows back ....but I am SOOO bad at ripping back to fix something that I just put it down and haven't looked at it in over 9 months.

I would just TRASH it....but I fear an hour afterward I'd be "dumpster diving" to save it. I think I need to consider the fireplace option and just be done with it!

~Wendy

"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." - Sidney J. Harris

... My Knitting Blog.... My Other Nonsense
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  12:24:33 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Yes, I just threw out 2 bags of alpaca this morning...trashman took it away. Lovely fleece...complete with bugs...BAH!!! As for projects, yes, but I frog if I don't like something and the yarn has yet to be created that I'd throw out...well, maybe some acrylic, but just as I plan to throw I think up a use for it and don't do it! Yeah, some potholders are needed and you won't be noticing that they're grey acrylic for long anyway! So what, embroider them with a bit of red and bright blue and yellow and the grey is used up but only a background so all is well!

Andy-wommon
http://shuvani11.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  12:33:40 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
I trashed a project made out of some random acrylic once. I can't actually remember what the project was.. just that the yarn got so tangled when I was frogging it that I just chucked the whole thing.

Maria

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

orangina
Seriously Hooked

821 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  1:46:54 PM  Show Profile Send orangina a Private Message
This reminds me of my sewing days and the time I "accidentally on purpose" let the scissors slip on the sewing project from hell. Snip! Whoops! Gee! a big hole right in the middle of the blouse! I guess it's unfixable! Yay, I'm free! I'm free!
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  1:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
LOL @ Orangina!! (no, I never did that - really - you can believe me...)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?