Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Help! A knitting slump!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  06:57:26 AM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
I just realized I haven't knit since...March 2nd!
Granted, I was dealing with sick kids and sick self for two weeks, and I'm still really, really tired from that virus, but I think that's the longest I've not knit since I learned how 5 years ago! Nothing appeals to me from the stash...I've even bought a couple new skeins of fun stuff and have them out in a basket - nothing. No urge to cast on, no twitchy fingers. I've flipped through mags and thought through a lace project, a fair isle, plain and easy...still nothing.
Eeek! Anyone else in a spring slump? I'm going to spring clean and then treat myself to some SocksThatRock and hope for the best.

Kipster
Seriously Hooked

730 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  07:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kipster's Homepage Send Kipster a Private Message
STR yarn is truly inspirational! To get those knitting juices flowing again, I like to flip through a stitch guide and work a stich pattern that I may not be familiar with on a small square.
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  07:27:00 AM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
Don't force it, it will come back.
I don't think its ever happened to me. I always want to knit or crochet, time for it isn't always there, but I'm getting better at making it a priority.

Hang in there, maybe Spring will give you the jump start!

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  08:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I haven't knit since March 12. We must be addicted if we know the exact date of the last stitch, something like the last drink or the last ciggy.
Last night I thought about winding some Lorna's and starting the Pomatomus socks but it never happened. This morning I thought about winding some Silky Wool and starting a Flower Basket Shawl but I READ THE NEWSPAPER instead.
I have no UFO's to fall back on so right now I'm not knitting.

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  08:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I'm at a slump, too.

I want to do something challenging, since my last few projects have been pleasant but simple - no color or complicated texture work. And for ages I've had a design in my mind for a vest, but I'm too impatient right now to get the numbers to work out. And I really shouldn't start anything that big because I do have some time limits on two more smaller projects, one of which is lace, but is nearly a month after the stocking stitch one....

I'm just feeling overly fickle, a tendency I have anyway....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  08:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
When I finish something, and I don't want to work on something else on the needles, I whine.

I am pretty sure this is why Mr. Aerospace started listing projects on my white board above my desk for me--he was sick of my whining, "I don't have anything to do."

I've got 13 projects on the list, so when I'm done with a project, I've always got something to turn to.

At least that's the theory.

Amanda,
who
Knits

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  08:21:46 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
I've had a few slumps along the way.

Sometimes you just need that down-time of not having to concentrate on a pattern or fight with yarn.
I like to think of it as my body telling me to relax. :)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

pixiepurls
Gabber Extraordinaire

373 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  08:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit pixiepurls's Homepage Send pixiepurls a Private Message
yeah just let it be, i would look at something else. Ever try to make a quilt? I took a 6 month break from knitting and learned to quilt, it was on purpose just happenbd that way. I got the urge to knit again and I have been knitting like crazy ever sense.

http://www.pixiepurls.com
Go to Top of Page

kidknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  08:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit kidknits's Homepage Send kidknits a Private Message
When I'm in a slump (can't think of what to make next, none of my stash yarn is talking to me), I fall back on Sally Melville's Baby Einstein coat or baby socks. I earmark these for a charity so I have to feel good about what I'm knitting. And doing kind of "unfocused" knitting usually gets my brain going again.

http://www.kidknits.biz
Go to Top of Page

The Literate Knitter
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  09:08:51 AM  Show Profile Send The Literate Knitter a Private Message
I was feeling a little slumpy myself. I just finished a non-stop knitting binge on a Clapotis and took a week off before casting on the Shoalwater Shawl. I am determined not to let this project rule my life. So slow and steady wins the race and also lets me do other things I need and want to do.

Cindy from Tennessee
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  09:36:14 AM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
Sometimes when I'm feeling a little uninspired I kinda do what pixiepurls said and just do some non-knitting stuff.I'll crochet a little something (I'm not so good at that I just finished a pair of slippers but can't get doilies quite right) I also sometimes delve into a little macramé. After a few days of not holding my sticks I'm always ready to go back and do something.
It also probably helps me out that my DH comes up with a bunch of projects for me. And my friend Kat always has an idea for something. If I didn't love to knit so much I just may feel like they were exploiting my skills for their own imagination!

Di,the cross country knitter

http://photobucket.com/albums/f348/switchbladeknitter/
(insert something witty)
Go to Top of Page

rainyrivergirl
Chatty Knitter

Canada
212 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  09:42:44 AM  Show Profile Send rainyrivergirl a Private Message
Me too. I have just checked my Lady Eleanor that I am blocking. It's dry and now ready for finishing...and yet here I sit feeling a bit lethargic. It could be that the sun is shining ( finally after months of grey skies) and my garden is calling. So I would join the others and advise you to 'chill' for now...No harm done if you rest up for awhile.
Go to Top of Page

klingklang77
Chatty Knitter

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  09:58:26 AM  Show Profile Send klingklang77 a Private Message
I am just getting out of a slump. I was doing a project that I wasnt interested in for a while, so I stalled in finishing it. I have now picked the needles back up.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  10:19:11 AM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message
Last time I was on a knitting slump I went on vacation. After a winter of snow & feeling trapped, I needed to get out in the sun & walk a bit.

Boy, did that help to get me going!

Nicole
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  6:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message
I was in a slump most of last year. Then for whatever reason, when 2006 started, I started a knitting binge. The only days I've ended without knitting were when I was just too exhausted to pick up the needles. *shrugs* I say enjoy the break; you'll probably feel the urge to knit something before you know it.

cozy's place

Knitting addict since November '03

Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  6:49:20 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Good advice...I think I'll get the sewing machine out. I have two sundresses and three 3-seam pillow cases already cut out, pinned, and ready to go, so I should see a ton of progress after even an hour of sewing. Also, it's supposed to be really nice this week, so I can go walk off some of this anxiousness!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  7:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
I'm in a slump as well... nothing really appeals.

I think it's spring fever!

I tend to either be doing a lot of fiberarts or a lot of piano (doing both hurts my wrists), right now I'm in a piano phase.

I have been doing some sewing though.

~Sarah Elizabeth
 Spinners make the world go round.
Keep on knitting on!
http://knitonespintoo.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  11:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
When feeling indecisive about the next project, I knit socks. Partly because I really like starting socks. I work from the toe up, and even now after I have knit dozens and dozens of toes, I still feel a little thrill. This thrill is sufficient to carry me along to the heel, which is also engrossing. And then I am half done, which motivates the seven inches of knitting for the cuff. Plus, I use EZ's cast-on, cast-off for an elastic sock cast off, and this is something I always look forward to, since I mostly only use it for socks. The other reason is that they are pretty fast and fit in my purse. Sarah.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  1:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I finally decided it's time to start something. Since I knit socks so often I figured I would do something else. I have Baby Cashmerino to make a baby fair isle sweater from a Debbie Bliss book. The largest size may or may not fit my niece but I'm going to make it anyway since it will fit someone at some time.

First I checked the errata page, everything OK. I got out all the needles necessary, 3 circs and 2 sets of straights. Straightened the circs in hot water, made a copy of the fair isle chart, and sat down to cast on. There are 157 stitches (cardigan knit flat on circs, back & 2 fronts) so I figured cable cast on was the way to go. After about 50 stitches I didn't like it so I pulled it off and cast on again with long tail cast on. Of course I got as far as 147 sts and ran out of yarn. So, I finished the last 10 stitches with knitted cast on and who could tell? I knit 3 rows of 1x1 rib and those 10 cable cast on stitches glared at me like neon. Off came the whole thing, yarn rewound into the skein, and I AM STILL NOT KNITTING!

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  3:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message
Oh GFTC, I feel your pain! Seems I seem to swing between knitting obsessively or not at all. Right now I am in obsessive mode, sigh.

Chelle, when I sew I love to make little tote bags for my knitting projects. They're fun and kind of knitting related.
Go to Top of Page

margeaa
Chatty Knitter

USA
318 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  06:59:31 AM  Show Profile Send margeaa a Private Message
I'm also in a slump now. I think it's because I messed up with the guage on my last 2 projects and I abandoned both. What I'm doing now is trying to finish my unfinished projects. Like weaving in the ends of yarn in some scarves; putting together a poncho. Yesterday I finally pieced together a felted bag I knit months ago and last night I finally tried to felt it (my first attempt at felting). However, since I have a front loader machine, it didn't felt up too well. But I'm going to my daughter's today and I'll try it in her top loader machine.

I seem to be having trouble trying to decide what to knit for the spring or summer. Can't seem to focus on anything in particular.

Marge
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.