Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Rowan's Summer Tweed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  01:20:29 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I was working with the Summer Tweed in Smolder(a gorgeous wine color) and notifced that the dye was rubbing off onto my bamboo needles. I brought it back and was told that I could return all the yarn for another color and got new needles too. I thought that was very nice. At first I was going to take my chances and finish the garment(I love the color) and have it dry cleaned before wearing but then I thought why invest more time in something that might end up disappointing? Has anyone ever had this happen before? Were you able to wear the garment and have the dye stop bleeding? I'd like to hear your stories!

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  06:04:05 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
I am using Rowan Summer Tweed with addi turbo circulars so I haven't noticed any color coming off but I am not enjoying knitting with the yarn because it feels so stiff and it doesn't slide well against itself so each stitch feels like an effort to pull through. It slides fine on the needles, though.

I will keep going because I foolishly already rolled a third of the yarn into balls and can't return it. But I have started another project so that I don't have to work on the Summer Tweed all the time.

Oh well. Live and learn.

Carin

Go to Top of Page

OKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  07:14:25 AM  Show Profile Send OKnitter a Private Message
happyneedles,

I made a sweater using Summer Tweed Smolder. I have washed it (by hand) 4 or 5 times and it is still bleeding dye. It doesn't really bother me much because I really like the sweater and the yarn does seem to get softer after each wash.

Ana
Oklahoma City

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  2:22:38 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Ana,how interesting. I wonder if it's just with this particular color. When you wore the sweater did the dye rub off on you? Or did it rub off onto upholstery, etc.? Anything else I should know? I'm thinking about going back and getting my yarn again. Thanks for your response.

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  9:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

Ana,how interesting. I wonder if it's just with this particular color.

If it means anything, I know that quilters are always wary of reds and blacks re: bleeding, and even if they don't pre-wash any other colours, they tend to pre-wash reds and blacks (and often purples)...

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

OKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  06:40:01 AM  Show Profile Send OKnitter a Private Message
happyneedles,

I got a little bit of dye on my white bra the very first time I wore the sweater. Never thought about the dye coming off on upholstery! I have two little ones so I don't have light colored furnishings. Dye coming off on a nice white couch would NOT have been a good thing. I'm glad you brought this up. Next time I go visit my folks in Florida, I think I'll leave my Summer Tweed sweater at home!

Ana
Oklahoma City

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  2:53:19 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Ha, your folks are thanking me! Well, I do have some regrets cause that color was so special but on the other hand I wouldn't want to have a problem later. Marge, I love quilts and even thought about learning to quilt at one time. How terrible to put together all that fabric and have some patches bleed. I would think that's a quilter's nightmare.

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2003 :  3:57:40 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I made a sweater out of a turqoise Summer Tweed...it came off on my bra and also, still bleeds a lot when I wash it. You just have to wash it separately, I guess....the sweater is still bright.

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  4:36:55 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I was wondering, Shirley, if it would fade. Have you noticed any fading, Ana?

Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  7:11:35 PM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
I am using three shades of the summer tweed in alternating rows. I wonder if they will all bleed on each other and look really weird...

Carin

Go to Top of Page

OKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  05:59:03 AM  Show Profile Send OKnitter a Private Message
happyneedles,

The color is still vibrant, but I'm sure it has faded some with washing. I wish you could see my sink when I'm washing this sweater! My 3 year-old son thinks it is funny - he thinks I spilled finger paints on my clothes and I'm trying to wash out the evidence!

Carin, are you using 3 dark shades of Summer Tweed in your sweater? I just recently finished a sweater using Angel (pale pinkish sort of color) and had no problem with the dye bleeding in the wash.

Ana

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  3:51:38 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
No, the sweater doesn't look at all faded. The color is still bright. I don't know what will happen with 3 different colors tho...better test a swatch first.

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  3:51:38 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
No, the sweater doesn't look at all faded. The color is still bright. I don't know what will happen with 3 different colors tho...better test a swatch first.

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  6:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Carin, good luck with your sweater. What colors are you using? I'm wondering if anyone has used the color reed- that's the color I changed smolder for. It's a golden brown. Are there any stories about reed?

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  6:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Carin, good luck with your sweater. What colors are you using? I'm wondering if anyone has used the color reed- that's the color I changed smolder for. It's a golden brown. Are there any stories about reed?

Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2003 :  7:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
I am really surprised to read about how much some colorways of Rowan Summer Tweed bleed. I made two sweaters with this yarn last year: a turquoise blue v-neck for myself and an Oatmeal laced up top for my teen daughter. Both get washed in the machine (cold water, gentle cycle) and I lay them flat to dry. I only washed them by hand the first time around and didn't encounter any bleeding, which is good since I am thinking of knitting a striped sleeveless top with the few skeins leftover.

For the knitter with the bright red garment: have you tried adding a bit of white vinegar to the final rinse water? It's an old-wives trick that has really worked for me with other bright red, bleeding yarns...if you don't mind a slight smell of vinegar afterwards, that is ;->

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2003 :  7:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
I am really surprised to read about how much some colorways of Rowan Summer Tweed bleed. I made two sweaters with this yarn last year: a turquoise blue v-neck for myself and an Oatmeal laced up top for my teen daughter. Both get washed in the machine (cold water, gentle cycle) and I lay them flat to dry. I only washed them by hand the first time around and didn't encounter any bleeding, which is good since I am thinking of knitting a striped sleeveless top with the few skeins leftover.

For the knitter with the bright red garment: have you tried adding a bit of white vinegar to the final rinse water? It's an old-wives trick that has really worked for me with other bright red, bleeding yarns...if you don't mind a slight smell of vinegar afterwards, that is ;->

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Laura
Go to Top of Page

WGWC

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  9:22:29 PM  Show Profile Send WGWC a Private Message
Hello everyone!
I am new to the knitting world as well as this board. I just found summer tweed and I love the look of the colors and the smell and feel of the yarn. I want to make a spring/summer top for me and something coorodinatiing for my girls (twin girls almost 3). I purchaced the yarn, looked for a pattern for the girls and found the perfect one. THEN I noticed that the pattern for the girls called for a size 3 needle. Fine I thought and bought the size three needle (does anyone see a problem yet [ :( ] because being a novice, I did not. Well I just got it all home and just now decided to reed the summer tweed label. It sais a gage that matches the pattern that I want...but it does not match the pattern for the girls. AHHHHH!!!! NOw the big question. DOes anyone know of a good book ( or a free pattern ) that would have something cute and springy/summery for little girls? I found a cute skirt with a bib attachment (size 3 needles on cotton yarn) and a cute jumper ( I have no earthly idea of the gage). Please please help me before I go nuts and either ruin a perfectly good idea, or just return it all to the store and try something normal...like cotton. THanks so much!

WGWC
Go to Top of Page

WGWC

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  9:22:29 PM  Show Profile Send WGWC a Private Message
Hello everyone!
I am new to the knitting world as well as this board. I just found summer tweed and I love the look of the colors and the smell and feel of the yarn. I want to make a spring/summer top for me and something coorodinatiing for my girls (twin girls almost 3). I purchaced the yarn, looked for a pattern for the girls and found the perfect one. THEN I noticed that the pattern for the girls called for a size 3 needle. Fine I thought and bought the size three needle (does anyone see a problem yet [ :( ] because being a novice, I did not. Well I just got it all home and just now decided to reed the summer tweed label. It sais a gage that matches the pattern that I want...but it does not match the pattern for the girls. AHHHHH!!!! NOw the big question. DOes anyone know of a good book ( or a free pattern ) that would have something cute and springy/summery for little girls? I found a cute skirt with a bib attachment (size 3 needles on cotton yarn) and a cute jumper ( I have no earthly idea of the gage). Please please help me before I go nuts and either ruin a perfectly good idea, or just return it all to the store and try something normal...like cotton. THanks so much!

WGWC
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.