Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Attaching purse handles?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jenniferquinn
Warming Up

56 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  11:34:46 AM  Show Profile Send jenniferquinn a Private Message
Hi everyone...I want to make the "cable knit purse" found here: http://spytastic.blogspot.com/2005/07/cable-knit-purse.html

(there are also photos of finished purses in the "Share your photo albums" section)

I need some advice as to how you attach the handles to the knit fabric....I have also never done lining, but at least I have an idea about this.

Any suggestions on attaching the purse handles?

careynev
Chatty Knitter

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  11:49:50 AM  Show Profile Send careynev a Private Message
Ooh, I'll be watching for replies--I've always wondered how to do that!

http://nerdyknitter.blogspot.com

Judy, the Nerdy Knitter
Go to Top of Page

Sandra C
Gabber Extraordinaire

403 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  12:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra C's Homepage Send Sandra C a Private Message
I love these chunky knit bags. When I saw Suss Cousins on the Carol Duvall show a while ago, she was demonstrating how to make one of these (except that hers didn't have cables). Here's the link to the instructions -- with pictures -- that even show how to attach the handle. It looks easy enough to me. I don't know how to do the tiny link thing; hope this works for you:

<http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_knitting/article/0,1789,HGTV_3263_4026487,00.html>

Sandra in NY
Knitter for Life
Go to Top of Page

jenniferquinn
Warming Up

56 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  5:03:50 PM  Show Profile Send jenniferquinn a Private Message
Thank you Sandra! That does help, excpet that in the link, it just has you wrap the knitted fabric around the handles and sewing it in place.

However, from the pictures in the photo album, you can see that is not what was done. It just looks like loops around the handles somehow.

Does anyone know another way to do it? I can try the way from the link, but it may be too bulky. Has anyone attached handles and want to share?

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

msanford
New Pal

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  12:59:07 PM  Show Profile Send msanford a Private Message
In the picture she posted, she said she just sewed on the handles. I think she may have cast off the rectangle then sewed it onto the handles by looping the yarn around the handle then into the purse fabric.
It's really cute!
Michelle in AL
Go to Top of Page

LILynn
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  5:48:18 PM  Show Profile Send LILynn a Private Message
I made a similar bag - I did it in 3 separate pieces - the front, back and a gusset. I cast on directly to the handles and then sewed the 3 pieces together at the end. It took a few minutes to get the hang of casting on directly to the handle - but once I figured it out - it was not hard and my bag looks great. I kind of used this link to figure out how to do it :http://www.diynet.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_4231124,00.html
Go to Top of Page

KrazyKim
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  9:31:07 PM  Show Profile Send KrazyKim a Private Message
Maybe you could cast off at the top of the purse, then crochet over the handle with single crochet stitches, picking up through your cast off loops?

Kim, Playa del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  08:03:54 AM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
I've made one like that. I grafted my handles on -- left a very long yarn tail, and then used my tapestry needle and went around the handle, then through the loops of the last row of knitting in the appropriate manner for the type of stitch it was (this is pretty easy to see, by looking at how the yarn goes in and out of the stitch below), and then tightened everything up so the knitting was snugged up against the bottom of the handle.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe