Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Hooray! I'm a homeowner!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamesedwinsneed
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  11:17:11 AM  Show Profile Send jamesedwinsneed a Private Message
I have a new address!!!
Now I need some patterns!
I walked into A.C. Moore yesterday and was handed a 50% off coupon (one regular priced item). WELLLL...My youngest son and I made a beeline over to the dollhouses. I'd seen a 'Real Good Toys' Quickbuild Colonial that I loved, but it was $229. Son #2 was an excellent 'yes man' for his mammy (I've got him trained right for the DIL someday). When the cashier rang me up, she announced that I'd probably made the biggest savings purchase of the day!
My family and I have had a great time putting it together (I was up till 2:30 a.m rehanging wallpaper and painting the inside of the front door (green didn't look right with the decor I plan for)...we have no plans for additional children, so the teddy bear wallpaper HAD to go. This is such a nice kit! Easy to put together, prefinished outside and in (though, like I said, some of the wallpaper had to be replaced).Hardwood floors, 7 rooms (including 3 in the attic). I prefer to work on homefurnishings, rather than installing windows and siding, so this is Perfect!!! I love it.
Anyway, now I need knitting paterns for small stuff (maybe some afghans and tablecloths. Has anyone done the mini knitting before? I think this is 1:1 scale. I seen a few books at the library, but haven't been impressed with most of the projects. I like doing fine lace, so I'm not afraid to tackle some stuff.
Gayle

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  12:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I want the $700 dollhouse they have, but even with the 50% off it's still a bit much for me.

But congratulations anyway, even if that stems from a place of slight jealousy.

Try http://www.bugknits.com/ - I go there sometimes to daydream.

(you probably mean that it's 1:12? That's a standard dollhouse ratio, I believe)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

The Crafty One
Chatty Knitter

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  1:25:43 PM  Show Profile Send The Crafty One a Private Message
There is a site online called "Buttercup Miniatures" that specializes in knitted and crocheted items for dollhouses. They are located in the U.K. but they have an online store and a newsletter. Following is their address:

http://www.buttercupminiatures.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  1:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Oooh. That's a great site, Leslie! Just added it to my blog sidebar!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  2:27:18 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I've never understood the attraction of doll houses and miniatures.
I'm not knocking them, I just don't get it.

Why do those of you who enjoy collecting them like them so much?

Trish
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  3:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I don't have one, because I can't justify the cost/enjoyment ratio with my income and limited space in my home. If my income/space increase, I'd like one.

I grew up visiting the Bradford dollhouse in Washington DC (http://www.smithsonianlegacies.si.edu/objectdescription.cfm?ID=192 ) and always loved it, and begged for one of my own, and my parents couldn't afford it...

So for me it's a bit of childhood lost. I like the creativity and artistry involved in those tiny tiny replicas, and I'm fascinated by the detail in the Bradford house specifically... it's like a tiny fantasy world set in any era I choose...

Go to Top of Page

jamesedwinsneed
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  3:49:00 PM  Show Profile Send jamesedwinsneed a Private Message
Thanks for the links.
Yep, I probably meant 1":1', or some kinda lingo as that.

I wasn't a prissy child growing up, but I did have a fascination with 'miniatures'. Barbies and all did not charm me except how tiny the accessories were. I only had brothers, so it wasn't a glamourous 'pink' upbringing. I think the charm has always simply been scale models of things. My new house won't have people, though have already found a cat to go by a window. I'm planning that little hidden upstairs 'mommy' room with a secret squirrel code to get in. If I can't have it in real life, maybe I can have it in mini.
One of my favorite books at my library is on Queen Mary's dollhouse.

Least you think I'm the only one with this interest in our house, my hubby collects model trains...boxes and boxes of them (with the idea of some sort of choo choo Utopia in our basement someday.Think again, Big Boy! I need some space, too).

Hey, we can all obsess over certain things. I'm amazed at the obsession over cell phones.
I think I'll start a little mini ripple afghan tonight.
Gayle
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  3:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Hey! Look what I just found!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0715313584/ref=reg_hu-wl_mrai-recs/103-2024807-5023017?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Go to Top of Page

DeAnn
Seriously Hooked

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  7:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit DeAnn's Homepage Send DeAnn a Private Message
This is a fascinating thread.
Those teeny tiny knitted things, oh my!!! They are exquisite. I wonder what she sells them for.
And the books look good too.
I think I would ruin my eyes knitting something sooo teeny.
I love dolls and dollhouses. Awesome!

DeAnn
Ms.D's Knitting Knotebook

When the chips are down.....
The Buffalo is empty.
Go to Top of Page

jamesedwinsneed
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  6:46:20 PM  Show Profile Send jamesedwinsneed a Private Message
I've strained my eyes starting a knitted coverlet in the same lace pattern I'm doing a full size shawl in. You knit and knit and knit on size #0 needles...to make a very little bit (yeah, Duh...but it is kind of pretty so far).
Gayle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?