Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Jury duty summons!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Chemcats
Permanent Resident

3337 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  05:19:46 AM  Show Profile Send Chemcats a Private Message
A couple of years ago, I was called for jury duty in the Federal Court. Took some crohet with me, and I had no problem, although they did give it a second look when it went throught the scanner.

I was picked, and it was facinating and we were treated very well. And very interesting! Would do it again.
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  8:12:43 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
A pox on whoever started this thread - I got a summons for the June docket in today's mail. The power of suggestion!!!
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  7:25:05 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Sorry!

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

relaxcris
Chatty Knitter

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  12:41:59 PM  Show Profile Send relaxcris a Private Message
I had jury duty 2 weeks ago and when I called the night before they specifically say on the recording "no knitting needles"! I was furious! I had been dreaming about a day off from work , in a room with nothing to do but knit...
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  8:33:52 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message

The only time I was summmoned I was in school. This was ... years ago. They apologized profusely to me and I've never been called again.

Maybe because I don't drive? Now I sincerely doubt they would want me as I have very little hearing.

This, of course, does not interfere with knitting and/or reading <grin, smile, enjoy>

Margie of Silly Cone Valley, CA
Go to Top of Page

Beverly the Bronx Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  05:43:17 AM  Show Profile Send Beverly the Bronx Girl a Private Message
I expect to be called sometime this year. Have to ask my physician about my status for that since I have Diabetes now. I'm going to bring my knitting or crocheting anyway if I have to serve. Beats sitting there twiddling one's thumbs. Served several times over the years at the Bronx Supreme Court near Yankee Stadium. The Bronx County Courthouse is the most dreary place in the city. One time we were on a case that amounted to your typical bar brawl. We aquitted the defendent because all the people involved could not remember who was hitting who. Blessings, Beverly
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  03:46:30 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I called the night before as instructed and got a recording saying not to come! This is annoyng because it costs my business money for no reason. I don't object to serving, but to make me not schedlue for myself and lose that business is just irritating. Oh well.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Old Knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
790 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2006 :  04:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Old Knitter's Homepage Send Old Knitter a Private Message
I suppose some of the rules depend on where you live. I was called for jury duty last summer and was able to knit in the jury waiting room, just not in the court room.

Float through life with a smile in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

Steph7
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  5:20:15 PM  Show Profile Send Steph7 a Private Message
I'm an attorney, so I'm usually the one PICKING the juries. I've noticed a number of times in the past year that there have been knitters on the jury venir. They knitted during breaks, then put their needles away while the attorneys were speaking to the. No one told them to do that, and it really wouldn't have bothered me if they had kept on knitting. I know I do some of my best listening while my fingers are busy knitting! I suspect that if a knitter ended up on the actual jury, the judge would ask them not to knit during evidence. But again, it would be fine with me!

Steph
Go to Top of Page

scubagirl1966
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  5:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit scubagirl1966's Homepage Send scubagirl1966 a Private Message
not being a US citizen I`m not allowed to sit on a jury - but dispite me sending in proof of this 3 times now I still get forms calling me - I just throw them away now

----------------------------------=----------------------------------------

i blog .. http://scubagirlsknitting.blogspot.com/

if it`s worth doing .. it`s worth doing over the top - Freddie Mercury
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  7:20:59 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi Scuba Girl: Having worked in the courts for more years than I care to talk about, I suggest you don't throw them away, citizen or not because you just might get a visit from a deputy sheriff and I don't think you want to get into that. It can be very dicey to say the least. Having said that when you get the next notice take it and your green card in with a copy of it for them. Be sure to keep a copy of the notice for you. Also, I think everyone should know they don't just get the names from the voters registration lists but but the Department of Motor Vehicles. Everyone with a driver's license as well as property owners get called. Don't yell at me its not my system. Take care. Beverley [:((]

Bev
Go to Top of Page

scubagirl1966
Chatty Knitter

105 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  7:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit scubagirl1966's Homepage Send scubagirl1966 a Private Message
Bev - I have sent copies of my green card twice and actually taken it with a copy to the cout house once aswell - Seems to make no differance - clearly they do not actually keep records of who responds.

As for where they get the lists from I have no drivers licence nor was i property owner when first called and as an alien - not on any voters registration- so i suspect that the lists come from tax returns.

I fully support the court system and would serve if I could

----------------------------------=----------------------------------------

i blog .. http://scubagirlsknitting.blogspot.com/

if it`s worth doing .. it`s worth doing over the top - Freddie Mercury
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  7:39:59 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Scubagirl: Wasn't putting you down. Just didn't know what you had done in the past. I know, only too well, how bureaucracy works. I had my identity stolen in the early 1990's and it took me almost a year to get my driver's license number changed. It was being used as identification for a lot of fraud. I finally did get it changed. How? That is for me to know. I am so sorry for you having to go through this and to me you are not an alien you are an immigrant. There is a difference. Huge difference. Have you gone in personally? Sometimes that helps but I don't guarantee it. Take care, Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  6:15:14 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

Just a question, when you do Jury duty in the USA do you get paid for how many days you have to do, in lieu of missing work?

I'm pretty sure they have to pay you here.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  03:36:39 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ozknitter

Hi,

Just a question, when you do Jury duty in the USA do you get paid for how many days you have to do, in lieu of missing work?

I'm pretty sure they have to pay you here.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.

Here they give you a token amount. Last time I think it was a whopping $25. Whoopee!

Can anyone explain why some people get called regularly and some people never get called?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Beverly the Bronx Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  05:24:15 AM  Show Profile Send Beverly the Bronx Girl a Private Message
In New York State, jurors don't get paid for their service unless they are not being paid at their jobs. The Federal Court in Foley Square(New York City) may have the same rules. Blessings, Beverly
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  2:57:18 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
The last time I was on jury duty and I have to tell you it was a long time ago, many years, I got paid a huge $6 or was it $5 a day and had to give it back because I was paid by my employer who just happened to be the Civil Court system in San Francisco. Take care. Beverley

PS: Its a rare occasion that State and Federal courts have the same system.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  06:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I had jury duty yesterday. I was allowed to bring in both my knitting (a snood on bamboo circs) and my drop spindle. The deputy came out to the waiting line to give us instructions, and when she was done I showed her the spindle and asked if it could come in, or should I take it to the car. She replied, "It's not metal, bring it in."

In LA County, you do not get paid for your first day of service, but if they call you back you get $15 and 31 cents one-way mileage for each day you serve after the first one.

The Clerk also told us what happens (in LA County, at least) if you ignore your summons. First you get another summons. Then you get a certified letter. Then you get a notice to appear before a judge to explain why you didn't come in, and risk a fine of up to $1,300. If you don't come in, you get a notice letting you know that the $1,300 fine is now on your credit report as an unpaid debt. The Clerk said that's when most people come in. Oh, and paying the fine will NOT get you out of serving if you are eligible to serve.

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  06:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
The last time I was called --- it was the first day without my sling after shoulder surgery and the first time I drove - and it was 45 min. away. AND my voice was in a bad period (when that happens I sound like a cross between Betty Boop and Marilyn Monroe being strangled when I talk) By the time I was called in for the question period I had been sitting in those hard chairs for 6 hours and I was in agony on top of everything else - so there I sat (or fidgeted since I couldn't get in a comfortable position no matter what I tried) trying not to cry I hurt so bad and when they asked me questions they couldn't hear or understand me - Gee I wonder why I was released.

I actually think I could get out of it because I have Ulcerative Colitis that means I tend to run to the bathroom quite a bit - and it seems to me if I am stressed it is much worse - I don't think they would want me stopping everything each time I had to go.

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Greyling
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  3:14:06 PM  Show Profile Send Greyling a Private Message
I have jury duty at the end of this month. I think I'll call and ask if I can bring needles or crochet hooks.

Thanks for the reminder!!

(The last time I was called, late 90's, I was downtown Chicago, and I had no problem with my crochet. Might be different now, though.)

[meow][meow]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.