Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Berroco Cotton Twist
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  09:38:49 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
I am about to start a sweater using Berroco Cotton Twist and I noticed during swatching that it seems to split easily. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with this yarn? How nervous should I be?

Carin

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  10:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Hi Carin, you shouldn't be nervous about using Berroco Cotton Twist. I am knitting a boat neck shell with it right now and it's turning out beautiful. The yarn can split if you're not careful, but I havn't had any problems. The biggest thing to remember with this yarn is to knit tightly.....very tightly. If you don't, it looks like holes. When you knit tightly with this yarn, it turns out gorgeous and looks very expensive. What color are you using? I'm using the Masala Mix right now and the colors are GORGEOUS, and I have Jaipur Aqua waiting to be knitted

Teresa
Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  10:33:58 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
I don't know the name of the color I am using but it is a dark gray-green, with an almost gunmetal gray cast to it. It's #8316. I will be using size 7 needles to get my gauge of 18.5 stitches to 4 inches.

What size needles are you using? I did think my swatch using 8s looked too loose for me.

Carin

I just checked the shade card at the Berroco site and my color is called Blue Gaberdine! I had not thought of it as blue at all!
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  10:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Carin, your yarn is a beautiful color too. My gauge is 20 stitches = 4" with my Berroco Cotton Twist yarn. I have one half of the top finished and it is really pretty. I was thinking..... if I were you.... I would not use wooden needles with this yarn because then it might split. My needles are gliding through it very easily.

Teresa
Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  05:32:13 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
Theresa, thanks for the tip. I am using addi turbos and they are working very well. I am having some trouble with the sweater and have posted another topic (Remembering Honey) hoping that someone else may have made this pattern. The lace edging looks funny to me.

What size needles are you using to get 5 st/inch? I looked at the shade card, but couldn't find the Masala Mix. What color is that? The aqua is beautiful!

I'm glad you are enjoying the Cotton Twist. I am, too. I am not having as much trouble as I anticipated. Thanks for the encouragement!

Carin

Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  03:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Carin, I'm using size 7 needles and I'm knitting the Boatneck Shell from Knitty.com with the Knitalong group. You can see the Masala Mix on the site where I ordered it at www.yarnware.com. They have two areas with the Berroco Cotton Twist, so if you don't see it on the first one, scroll down to where it says Berroco Cotton Twist again. I'm glad you looked at the aqua.... it is even more gorgeous in person!

Teresa
Go to Top of Page

wendy
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2003 :  12:21:54 PM  Show Profile Send wendy a Private Message
Hi caren I am new to the website. I too am working with the cotton twist in a peach color. I am using berroco 217 pattern book I am making a long sleeve sweater with lots of yarnovers. I too find that the twist splits and can be difficult to work with. I mixed twist with another yarn last spring to make a long sleeved pullover and I found that the entire sweater stretched to a new size and I can no longer wear it. Good luck with the twist hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

Go to Top of Page

wendy
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Hi caren I am new to the website. I too am working with the cotton twist in a peach color. I am using berroco 217 pattern book I am making a long sleeve sweater with lots of yarnovers. I too find that the twist splits and can be difficult to work with. I mixed twist with another yarn last spring to make a long sleeved pullover and I found that the entire sweater stretched to a new size and I can no longer wear it. Good luck with the twist hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

Go to Top of Page

wendy
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Go to Top of Page

wendy
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Go to Top of Page

wendy
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2003 :  1:53:31 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I've made hats with it and it's only splitty if you poke your needle through it. it doesn't get splitty from handling (now Patons Astra on my current project grrrrr) It doesn't unravel and re-knit very nicely as I discovered. Once okay but any more than that and it looks crappy. I used 7mm bamboo circulars and didn't knit tightly, just my usual. It's very soft and drapey and has worn and washed well.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2003 :  1:53:31 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I've made hats with it and it's only splitty if you poke your needle through it. it doesn't get splitty from handling (now Patons Astra on my current project grrrrr) It doesn't unravel and re-knit very nicely as I discovered. Once okay but any more than that and it looks crappy. I used 7mm bamboo circulars and didn't knit tightly, just my usual. It's very soft and drapey and has worn and washed well.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe