Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 boy in my class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  9:46:45 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I am giving a free learn to knit class at my library.

One woman arrives with her 2 kids, a boy and a girl. He got it much faster than sis did. Mom just told me that he loves to show off at school where the whole class is learning to knit. As I hear it, he's the best in his class.

Margie

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  11:15:46 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Knitting is such a mathematical and mechanical function, I'm not at all surprised that the boy got it quicker. I keep trying to convince my husband of this, but all he sees is women knitting, so his macho Italian upbringing comes to the fore and says "men don't knit". Sigh. Good for your young man and good for you!

hugs,
chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  3:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message
It's like saying men don't sew but we have "tailors". Men are not suppose to be in the kitchen, and yet we have "chefs". My husband and male friends did not approve of my son, who's 8, of knitting. Saying that "he is going to be soooo picked on."

My son does very well in picking up the methods of knitting. He likes it because of the math aspect, and the puzzle/mystery of figuring out patterns. We're both advid rock climbers and he loves learning to make all kinds of knots, and problem solving situations. Knitting to him is another form of knot making but flatter and wearable; he likes the challenge of correcting his mistakes.
Elsie W
Go to Top of Page

yarnspeaktome
Chatty Knitter

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  3:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnspeaktome a Yahoo! Message Send yarnspeaktome a Private Message
It's like saying men don't sew but we have "tailors". Men are not suppose to be in the kitchen, and yet we have "chefs". My husband and male friends did not approve of my son, who's 8, of knitting. Saying that "he is going to be soooo picked on."

My son does very well in picking up the methods of knitting. He likes it because of the math aspect, and the puzzle/mystery of figuring out patterns. We're both advid rock climbers and he loves learning to make all kinds of knots, and problem solving situations. Knitting to him is another form of knot making but flatter and wearable; he likes the challenge of correcting his mistakes.
Elsie W
Go to Top of Page

inigomontoya
Chatty Knitter

133 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  8:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit inigomontoya's Homepage Send inigomontoya a Private Message
Actually, girls are just as mathematically oriented... it's society that makes them think they aren't as good at math as boys. studies/research has shown that girls actually do better in math up to a certain point, and then develop anxiety about fitting societal expectations of girls.

sorry. i'll step off my soapbox now.
Go to Top of Page

inigomontoya
Chatty Knitter

133 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  8:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit inigomontoya's Homepage Send inigomontoya a Private Message
Actually, girls are just as mathematically oriented... it's society that makes them think they aren't as good at math as boys. studies/research has shown that girls actually do better in math up to a certain point, and then develop anxiety about fitting societal expectations of girls.

sorry. i'll step off my soapbox now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?