Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What's your favorite knitting magazine?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

delaram
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  11:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit delaram's Homepage Send delaram a Private Message
Hi all-

I started knitting the beginning of this year. In that time, I have bought the following:

Interweave Knits Speing 2003
Family Circle Easy Knitting Spring/Summer 2003
Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2003
Knitter's Magazine #69

Are there other great knitting magazines out there that I am missing and should definitely consider buying?

I'm not a subscriber to any of these...yet.

Thanks!
~Rose

jjnargan
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  12:13:42 PM  Show Profile Send jjnargan a Private Message
I love the Interweave Knits magazines. I find them to be the most inspirational of all the big knitting magazines. They have challenging patterns and great articles with wonderful photography. Some of the back issues might be worth investing in if you like their style.

You might also want to check out Cast On, the magazine put out by the Knitting Guild of America. They often have some good articles about techniques.

There are some other knitting magazines, too. INKnitters is a newer magazine that I subscribed to at Stitches last year, but I'm not crazy about it. It focuses on increasing skills, but I find many of their descriptions confusing and it doesn't look as professional as the others. Knit 'n Style is also widely available, but I don't tend to like their patterns. Just not my style.

I'd like to hear what other people have to say, though!

Jenna

Go to Top of Page

Loren T
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  12:36:31 PM  Show Profile Send Loren T a Private Message
It's not strictly a knitting magazine, obviously, but I love Spin-Off. There are always some beautiful and inspiring knitting projects in the magazine. Although I do spin, I don't think the magazine is limited to spinners.

Loren, in Northern Virginia :)
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
There's one put out by Better Homes in conjunction with Lion Brand yarn, that comes out once or twice a year on an irregular basis; the last one came out right after Christmas (Knit it!). There's one that I've seen called Ultimate Knitting (both machine and handknitting but I'm not impressed so far with any of their stuff). Also Piecework, which includes knitting and other needle-ish arts like cross-stitch, with an emphasis on the historical. Every once in a while I pick up a Piecework if there's an article about something knitting that intrigues me. If you have "niche" interests (I just made that up but it sounds really good, doesn't it?), how about Socks Digest, Heels & Toes Gazette (for sock=knitters), Stranded (fair-isle-type colorwork), and there's one for cable-lovers but I forget the name since I don't do cables. Also, Martha Stewart Living occasionally throws in an article about knitting with some patterns.

There are internet knitting "zines", like knitty.com (free) and Knitnet.com (used to be free, but I think is now subscription with a few freebies).

My current favorite is definitely Interweave Knits but since they just switched editors, we'll have to see if that continues....

Also, you can subscribe to some designer publications, like Rowan magazines and Rebecca.

Carol (am I obsessed or what??)

Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  5:40:45 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Knitty has been my favourite lately, and it's free!

Interweave Knits is the only one I have a subscription to and I consistently like these days. I haven't been thrilled with Knitters or Family Circle as of late.

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  5:58:08 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I subscibe to most of them....but I like Knitters and Interweave Knits the best. I wasn't going to renew my subscription to Knit 'N Style, but the last issue came, and I said..."maybe I will try it a little longer!" . I like the MK conversions in it.
And, I have subscribed to Vogue knitting for years. I guess I am a knitting magazineaholic!

I just love it when a new issue of any of them comes and I can sit down and browse through it.

Didn't really care for Spin Off and INK...or Machine Knitter's Source, the sister mag to INK.

I LOVE knitty.com...the online magazine.

Have I covered them all?

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  6:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I enjoy all the ones you've bought -- at different times. I also enjoy "Knit It!" and just love "Spin Off" (even though it is spinning focused and I don't know how to spin -- yet!).

There's "Knitter's Digest", which you can find in hard copy or on line, and I subscribe to "KnitNet" -- an online knitting magazine located at http://www.knitnet.com. You can go on as a visitor and sample!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  2:19:54 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I think you should look at as many as you can because you'll always learn something, even if you learn you don't like something! I regularly buy VK and I look at the others on the newstands but rarely buy anything else. I'm addicted to designer publications and always buy Phildar and Rebecca, and look at all the others and occasionally buy something else. I'm lucky that I can borrow a lot of knitting magazines and books at my library.

Go to Top of Page

craftcrazy
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  06:49:28 AM  Show Profile Send craftcrazy a Private Message
Hi,
My favorites are FAMILY CIRCLE EASY KNITTING
and KNIT'n'STYLE. The one that Lion yarn puts out
called KNIT IT is good...but they only produce 1
issue a year.

Go to Top of Page

Anahita
Chatty Knitter

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  10:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anahita's Homepage Send Anahita a Private Message
I have recently bought a few back issues of INKnitters, and I enjoyed them very much. There were lots of technique articles, and the patterns are not routine. I think it's a relatively new magazine, and a whole lot of fun.

Anne

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?