Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 The sleeve grew!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janice
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  12:35:37 PM  Show Profile Send Janice a Private Message
I made a white cardigan for my mother. She washed it carefully by hand in Woolite, but spun it out in the washer. Now one sleeve is about four inches longer than the other and there's a row that looks like a snag's been pulled on, but there's no snag anywhere. I've never had this happen in 10 years of knitting. Is there anything I can do, or will I have to knit a whole new sleeve?

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  2:58:38 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
My first question is what is the fiber of the yarn? If it is one of the acrylics it may have to be dried in a dryer to go back to its original shape. I would definietely try washing it again. Woolens will stretch amazingly when blocked and can be pulled out of shape by the weight of the water while washing. Some use a strainer to put the washable in while lifting it from the sink to prevent this. A salad spinner works well too and will also spin excess water out before blocking. I would definitely try rewashing and blocking before reknitting.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  2:58:38 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
My first question is what is the fiber of the yarn? If it is one of the acrylics it may have to be dried in a dryer to go back to its original shape. I would definietely try washing it again. Woolens will stretch amazingly when blocked and can be pulled out of shape by the weight of the water while washing. Some use a strainer to put the washable in while lifting it from the sink to prevent this. A salad spinner works well too and will also spin excess water out before blocking. I would definitely try rewashing and blocking before reknitting.

fran

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?