Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 why do i have such a hard time with 2x2 rib?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lauren
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  10:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit lauren's Homepage Send lauren a Private Message

i am not an inexperienced knitter -- i mean, i'm not great, but i should be able to do this -- but every time i try to do 2x2 rib i get messed up if i am doing ANYTHING else at all. even sitting at the coffee shop with my friend, or listening to the radio. why is this so hard for me? i only need an inch and a half of it but i keep having to frog after about half an inch. arg!

trixie2020
Chatty Knitter

206 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit trixie2020's Homepage Send trixie2020 a Private Message
Do you have trouble with ribbing in general, or just 2x2? Personally, I hate doing ribbing. I am doing a K3, P1 ribbing right now and I got through about an inch and a half before I realized that there was a K4 in there... Frog, Frog Frog. I like the way ribbing looks, but I hate doing it. I guess it's a necessary evil!

Jen M

"Me, ambivalent? Well, yes and no..."

www.monkeyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

trixie2020
Chatty Knitter

206 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit trixie2020's Homepage Send trixie2020 a Private Message
Do you have trouble with ribbing in general, or just 2x2? Personally, I hate doing ribbing. I am doing a K3, P1 ribbing right now and I got through about an inch and a half before I realized that there was a K4 in there... Frog, Frog Frog. I like the way ribbing looks, but I hate doing it. I guess it's a necessary evil!

Jen M

"Me, ambivalent? Well, yes and no..."

www.monkeyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lauren
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit lauren's Homepage Send lauren a Private Message

well, 1x1 is ok, but probably because it requires less thinking. the only other thing i've done was a 4x2, but it was a very small square, and i used stitch markers 'cos it was my first rib, so it turned out fine. maybe the problem is just ribbing in general. gr.

Go to Top of Page

lauren
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  11:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit lauren's Homepage Send lauren a Private Message

well, 1x1 is ok, but probably because it requires less thinking. the only other thing i've done was a 4x2, but it was a very small square, and i used stitch markers 'cos it was my first rib, so it turned out fine. maybe the problem is just ribbing in general. gr.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  3:14:19 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
This is just a guess but it might be the way the stitches are turned on the needle. With stockinette stitch, they are all turned the same way and with garter stitch they are all turned the same way too. With ribbing one stitch is one way and the next one another and that is confusing. All I can say is keep doing them and it does get easier. Instead of frogging a lot of rows, try learning to drop a stitch down and picking it up with a crochet hook. It may save you time

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  3:14:19 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
This is just a guess but it might be the way the stitches are turned on the needle. With stockinette stitch, they are all turned the same way and with garter stitch they are all turned the same way too. With ribbing one stitch is one way and the next one another and that is confusing. All I can say is keep doing them and it does get easier. Instead of frogging a lot of rows, try learning to drop a stitch down and picking it up with a crochet hook. It may save you time

fran

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?