Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Weaning off of meds
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  2:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Hey there. With DD coming up on a year, I am weaning off my prophylactic course of meds for PPD. Could not have been the worse time, since I had PMS and then Aunt Flo visiting, and I am just exhausted. Also dizzy, my eyes hurt and I don't seem to be sleeping well.

Could be worse I suppose but really looking forward to being off them entirely so that I can TRY to lose all the excess weight.

Starting to feel like I want to take the next two weeks off of work though just to be able to sleep through all of this.

Anyway, hugs and prayers would be lovely from all my KR buds.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  2:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
Good luck Kelly. Some of those meds can be horrible to come off of. I am sure you are tapering according to dr's instructions

Try to take it easy, get plenty of rest and some light exercise (maybe walks in the sunlight)

hugs

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Kim
I have a blog! Kim Knits
Snowflakes and Arrows Vest KAL
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3461 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  2:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. (I felt the same whenever I was getting off a medication I had been on for a long time) Get some nice tea and curl up in front of a good movie. Sleep in this weekend!

<<BIG HUGS>>

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  3:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message
It WILL get better. The times I've gone off of meds, I sleep really lightly and have really strange dreams. I would also recommend exercise since it helped tire me out and likewise I slept better.

Hugs,

-Erin

I wear fur - My cats leave it all over my clothes for me to wear.
http://musicknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  3:53:06 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Depression meds affect people differently, but the general rule is to reduce the amount of med gradually over a long period of time.

Follow your doctor's advice and keep him/her informed of any problems.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  3:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
That's what I am doing, mokey. But I am just beat!

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  5:25:29 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Does your employer offer sick leave/ Perhaps you could take a week or two off work. That's what I did when coming off and I think it made a difference.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  5:41:38 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Erin, that is so funny that you mentioned sleeping lightly and having weird dreams. I have a terrible time with insomnia. I try not to take my beloved Ambien every night, but we have a place in the mountains that's 2 miles above sea level and I think because of the thin air sleeping is a real issue. Anyway, I take my Ambien every night when we're there. I'm back home now and trying to avoid taking them and the last 2 nights, I have had the weirdest dreams. I never thought about making the connection till you made your comment.
Go to Top of Page

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  6:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by COgirl

Erin, that is so funny that you mentioned sleeping lightly and having weird dreams.

I think it has to do with waking up while you're dreaming. I usually remember dreams that I'm having when the alarm goes off and I've read somewhere that you usually only remember dreams that you wake up in the middle of. So it figures that if you wake up lots in the night, you remember more dreams and have a higher chance of remembering some really weird ones.
I had my wisdom teeth out back in Jan. and had some pretty strange dreams the first few nights after surgery, probably because I slept really poorly.

-Erin

I wear fur - My cats leave it all over my clothes for me to wear.
http://musicknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  10:37:22 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I dropped my meds cold turkey once - ran out of prescription and foolishly didn't think a week off before my appointment would make a difference. Whew! It made me so dizzy I was afraid to drive. Also sick to my stomach. Very weird. Hang in there, Kelley, it'll get better!

Lin, High Priestess of Liberal Color Usage
"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/teenyberet.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2388 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  12:35:14 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I'm not sure what kind of meds you're talking about, but does anyone have to use Fentanyl?

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time cause I'm in a hurry...
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  4:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Hang in there, listen to the docs and try to use knitting to keep your mind off things.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

tribalfyber
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  5:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit tribalfyber's Homepage Send tribalfyber a Private Message
i always try to drink lots of water to flush out my system.

and if your body is crying for sleep, try to indulge as much as you can for now, even cat naps when you can. this is a time that you should pamper yourself, and to h**l with the housework.
Go to Top of Page

MsTarzan
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  9:54:26 PM  Show Profile Send MsTarzan a Private Message
What can I say - been there, done that, didn't like it much either! When I was on Zoloft after DD was born (and ex dumped me) weaning off was the WORST! Doc put me on the one day on one day off weaning thing and every day I took them it was like starting the course ALL over again, the side effects were so bad.

Just a sugestion (that you should obviously check with your doc) but if things are going this badly, maybe you need to stay on them a bit longer?

For sleeping better, without meds, try a cup of warm milk mixed with honey just before bedtime. Alternatively (or in addition) a nice relaxing bath with some scented stuff in might help.

Of course, with a little one, the best thing is to ignore the house and sleep whenever they do and then to get somebody to do night shift (assuming they're still not sleeping through).

Jayne

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  3:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Thanks all for the hugs and good thoughts. Funny thing is that I am halfway there and now feel somewhat bettewr w/out than with......just need to get thru it....2 more weeks

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  09:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Today I am off altogether. Yesterday I called due to the vertigo...and they said just go off altogether since I was down low already. This morning so far so good, no vertigo yet, and hoping the rest of the day is good as well.

Wish me luck!

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2388 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  12:26:10 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Fantastic! You give me hope.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time cause I'm in a hurry...
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  02:30:31 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Kelley,

I hope you will start to feel better soon.

Hugs and prayers go without saying.

I will also light a candle for you when I'm next at church.

Does meditation help at all?

I used to get really weird dreams when I had those nicotine patches on - the 24 hours jobs, they were horrendous.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  10:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Rose, thanks so much for your thoughts, and wecome back!

Have not tried meditation, but I did clear everyone out of the house Sunday, took a long nap and advantage of a quiet house.

Things seem on the upswing now, thank goodness, but I was knitting like a fiend this weekend, and very very fast to come down from the irritation....

Dreams are definitely weird but very nice. And the libido is back, which is kind of nice.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?