Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting without needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Wow, Naomi! We must have been pretty dumb as kids over here! I can't remember seeing anyone doing fourstitches at a time with finger knitting. We only ever had a loop on our index finger, laid the yarn in front of that and brought the loop over. This resulted in a chain just like crochet. But I don't remember getting bored with this - at least at the beginning. I think this sort of thing is new to kids and they just don't get bored with new things, however simple. Until, of course, they are introduced to TVs and computer-type games etc! Then everything else is boring!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Wow, Naomi! We must have been pretty dumb as kids over here! I can't remember seeing anyone doing fourstitches at a time with finger knitting. We only ever had a loop on our index finger, laid the yarn in front of that and brought the loop over. This resulted in a chain just like crochet. But I don't remember getting bored with this - at least at the beginning. I think this sort of thing is new to kids and they just don't get bored with new things, however simple. Until, of course, they are introduced to TVs and computer-type games etc! Then everything else is boring!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

ejdunn
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  08:58:04 AM  Show Profile Send ejdunn a Private Message
Regarding the 4-finger knitting, my 4th grader learned to do this at Colonial Day at school, only they used pot-holder loops. Knowing those wouldn't have been historically accurate, I asked her if she learned how to do it with yarn. She hadn't, but enjoyed using the loops, and made me a multicolored belt. Apparently, all the kids liked it, because both super Wal-Marts in town were sold out of the loops. The Colonial Day volunteer moms called it "finger weaving." I'll be sure to give them the instructions for using yarn for next year's event.
Go to Top of Page

gypsygirl
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  4:32:03 PM  Show Profile Send gypsygirl a Private Message
quote:

Hello Sheila, I machine knit. Also I had a cotton-reel-thingy, we called it french knitting or corking. I also have a windey handle one made by Bond. Last Christmas my husband made me a knitting frame, I have made some hats on it and a scarf. It is basically two pieces of wood with nails evenly spaced down each piece and a bolt through each end to hold it together.You can make them as short or long as you want and space the nails as you wish.But you can buy ready made knitting boards and looms.(same thing)
No I do not like calling knitting machines 'looms', they are not looms or frames.But maybe some people are scared of the word 'machine' and it doesn't sound very arty/crafty.
Shirley

Go to Top of Page

Nubian knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  12:51:43 AM  Show Profile Send Nubian knitter a Private Message
Hey All!

I've so enjoyed reading everyones responses, many nostalgic and fond recollections. Yes, I've heard of these little gadgets by their other names, French knitters as it is said that the French brought the spool knitter to colonial America. Corking is another name I am familiar with too. There are still others that have come to call the round peg loom sock knitters and they can be found in different sizes. I have just been intrigued by the simplicity of these knitting machines. Their simplicity has inspired me to make them for my children. I also didn't want them to get bored with knitting with needles so the alternative methods of knitting became a way for me to help keep them interested. They are not exposed to everything, they too are pretty sheltered, home educated, not watching T.V, or listening to the radio. Every little bit of creative exposure goes a long way in boredum busting. I am 30 and never had I seen the likes of these toys as a child. I am sure glad to know about them now.

Sheila

Go to Top of Page

gypsygirl
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  5:09:33 PM  Show Profile Send gypsygirl a Private Message
quote:

Being a Kiwi, I don't know what those things are! But I have just come back from three days at the New Zealand Creative Fibre Festivall in Queenstown where we have learned that there seems to be a move to change the name of machine knitting to loom knitting! We think it is to attract more people to our society - which was originally for hand spinners, knitters and weavers. I hope the name doesn't catch on. I feel that it sounds clumsy, possibly because it is unfamiliar. But, I guess, if it attracts members...

KathyR

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.