Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting without needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nubian knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  4:55:43 PM  Show Profile Send Nubian knitter a Private Message
Hey all,

Just wondering how many of us here use knitting looms, knitting rakes and knitting knobbies?

Sheila

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
I use a knitting machine to make last-minute quickie gifts (like baby items) or for intarsia.

--Kristin

"A little nonsense now & then is relished by the wisest men." --Roald Dahl
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
I use a knitting machine to make last-minute quickie gifts (like baby items) or for intarsia.

--Kristin

"A little nonsense now & then is relished by the wisest men." --Roald Dahl
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I have not - yet. You never know what the future holds.....

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I have not - yet. You never know what the future holds.....

Go to Top of Page

jess1626
Chatty Knitter

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  8:18:36 PM  Show Profile Send jess1626 a Private Message
I have one of the "knobbies." I started making a rug with it forever ago, but havn't touched it since last July. Ooops. It's pretty neat and fast, but it twists really badly. I also can't remember how to bind it off.

Go to Top of Page

jess1626
Chatty Knitter

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  8:18:36 PM  Show Profile Send jess1626 a Private Message
I have one of the "knobbies." I started making a rug with it forever ago, but havn't touched it since last July. Ooops. It's pretty neat and fast, but it twists really badly. I also can't remember how to bind it off.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  9:11:28 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
One thing I love is when they "name" something, i.e., a knitting knobbie. Back in the olden days when I was a kid we not only didn't call them anything, sewing thread came on wooden spools and if your mother got the big size as opposed to the small size spool of thread you were in business. What happened with the big size is you brought that to my father who hammered in four nails properly placed and you went home with what is now known as a "knitting knobbie!" We never thought of it as knitting as we already knew how to knit. This was all done at a time when you made you own fun--it as called the depression--well we were little kids and at that time no one thought kids needed to know everything that was going on and as long as we had food, a nice bed, clean clothes and a bath we didn't care. We were cared for and that's all that mattered. I have thought long and hard about putting this in but I think I should as so many people think kids need to know everything happening. I don't. End of dissertation. Take care. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  9:11:28 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
One thing I love is when they "name" something, i.e., a knitting knobbie. Back in the olden days when I was a kid we not only didn't call them anything, sewing thread came on wooden spools and if your mother got the big size as opposed to the small size spool of thread you were in business. What happened with the big size is you brought that to my father who hammered in four nails properly placed and you went home with what is now known as a "knitting knobbie!" We never thought of it as knitting as we already knew how to knit. This was all done at a time when you made you own fun--it as called the depression--well we were little kids and at that time no one thought kids needed to know everything that was going on and as long as we had food, a nice bed, clean clothes and a bath we didn't care. We were cared for and that's all that mattered. I have thought long and hard about putting this in but I think I should as so many people think kids need to know everything happening. I don't. End of dissertation. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  2:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Being a Kiwi, I don't know what those things are! But I have just come back from three days at the New Zealand Creative Fibre Festivall in Queenstown where we have learned that there seems to be a move to change the name of machine knitting to loom knitting! We think it is to attract more people to our society - which was originally for hand spinners, knitters and weavers. I hope the name doesn't catch on. I feel that it sounds clumsy, possibly because it is unfamiliar. But, I guess, if it attracts members...

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  2:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Being a Kiwi, I don't know what those things are! But I have just come back from three days at the New Zealand Creative Fibre Festivall in Queenstown where we have learned that there seems to be a move to change the name of machine knitting to loom knitting! We think it is to attract more people to our society - which was originally for hand spinners, knitters and weavers. I hope the name doesn't catch on. I feel that it sounds clumsy, possibly because it is unfamiliar. But, I guess, if it attracts members...

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  3:38:13 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, KathyR: I agree with you about changing the name. It conjurs up something to me but it has nothing to do with knitting, hand or machine, but weaving. I wonder why everyone seems to think you have to change the names of things. Once we had the unemployment office. Now we have the department of human resources which says something altogether different than a place to look for a job. Sanitary engineer is another one--this one covers two things, janitors and garbage men. Enough of my babbling. I am going to look for a picture of a knitting knobby on-line so you can see what it is. Take care. Beverley

PS: If you go into www.patternworks.com and click on tools then type in birch knitting knobbie it will show you a picture of one. It looks just like the ones my father made for us from empty wooden thread spools and four nails.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  3:38:13 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, KathyR: I agree with you about changing the name. It conjurs up something to me but it has nothing to do with knitting, hand or machine, but weaving. I wonder why everyone seems to think you have to change the names of things. Once we had the unemployment office. Now we have the department of human resources which says something altogether different than a place to look for a job. Sanitary engineer is another one--this one covers two things, janitors and garbage men. Enough of my babbling. I am going to look for a picture of a knitting knobby on-line so you can see what it is. Take care. Beverley

PS: If you go into www.patternworks.com and click on tools then type in birch knitting knobbie it will show you a picture of one. It looks just like the ones my father made for us from empty wooden thread spools and four nails.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  4:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

Back in the olden days when I was a kid we not only didn't call them anything, sewing thread came on wooden spools and if your mother got the big size as opposed to the small size spool of thread you were in business. What happened with the big size is you brought that to my father who hammered in four nails properly placed and you went home with what is now known as a "knitting knobbie!" We never thought of it as knitting as we already knew how to knit.
[\quote]

I too had a "knobbie" when I was a kid. Only we called it a corking spool, and didn't associate it with knitting (or even "pre-knitting"). I got bored with it because the resulting tube only went so far in usefulness (to my mind!).

[quote]
This was all done at a time when you made you own fun--it as called the depression--well we were little kids and at that time no one thought kids needed to know everything that was going on and as long as we had food, a nice bed, clean clothes and a bath we didn't care. We were cared for and that's all that mattered. I have thought long and hard about putting this in but I think I should as so many people think kids need to know everything happening. I don't. End of dissertation. Take care. Beverley

Bev,
I appreciated your "dissertation", but that "time" went beyond the Depression. I grew up in rural SW Quebec in the 50's and early 60's, when life was a *lot* simpler and kids were expected to be kids. We would have been horrified if our parents had wanted to "play" with us. Quality time with them meant learning to swim or skate (that done, leave us alone to do it ourselves, thanks!), or being taken to the zoo, or on a picnic or some other excursion. However, most of the time, we made our own fun, and a lot of that was outdoors.

We were allowed to do things like fall off bikes (two-wheelers were not constructed for anyone much under the age of 8 or 10), fall down while roller-skating or ice-skating, skin our knees, bang our noggins etc. It was not idyllic, but we grew up less quickly and with more commonsense than kids these days. (Note: my daughter is 22 and living out on her own (room-mate) and working and not coming to me for every little thing. My son will be doing this soon too...).

End of my "dissertation"!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  4:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

Back in the olden days when I was a kid we not only didn't call them anything, sewing thread came on wooden spools and if your mother got the big size as opposed to the small size spool of thread you were in business. What happened with the big size is you brought that to my father who hammered in four nails properly placed and you went home with what is now known as a "knitting knobbie!" We never thought of it as knitting as we already knew how to knit.
[\quote]

I too had a "knobbie" when I was a kid. Only we called it a corking spool, and didn't associate it with knitting (or even "pre-knitting"). I got bored with it because the resulting tube only went so far in usefulness (to my mind!).

[quote]
This was all done at a time when you made you own fun--it as called the depression--well we were little kids and at that time no one thought kids needed to know everything that was going on and as long as we had food, a nice bed, clean clothes and a bath we didn't care. We were cared for and that's all that mattered. I have thought long and hard about putting this in but I think I should as so many people think kids need to know everything happening. I don't. End of dissertation. Take care. Beverley

Bev,
I appreciated your "dissertation", but that "time" went beyond the Depression. I grew up in rural SW Quebec in the 50's and early 60's, when life was a *lot* simpler and kids were expected to be kids. We would have been horrified if our parents had wanted to "play" with us. Quality time with them meant learning to swim or skate (that done, leave us alone to do it ourselves, thanks!), or being taken to the zoo, or on a picnic or some other excursion. However, most of the time, we made our own fun, and a lot of that was outdoors.

We were allowed to do things like fall off bikes (two-wheelers were not constructed for anyone much under the age of 8 or 10), fall down while roller-skating or ice-skating, skin our knees, bang our noggins etc. It was not idyllic, but we grew up less quickly and with more commonsense than kids these days. (Note: my daughter is 22 and living out on her own (room-mate) and working and not coming to me for every little thing. My son will be doing this soon too...).

End of my "dissertation"!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

ride&knit
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  12:53:12 PM  Show Profile Send ride&knit a Private Message
I remember using the sewing spools also. I kepted my wooden spools to teach my daughter. I found a kit for children not so long ago and bought for a granddaughter, that is lost now. I still have a few wooden spools left. But, right now I cannot remember what we called it!

Doreen Catoe
Go to Top of Page

ride&knit
New Pal

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  12:53:12 PM  Show Profile Send ride&knit a Private Message
I remember using the sewing spools also. I kepted my wooden spools to teach my daughter. I found a kit for children not so long ago and bought for a granddaughter, that is lost now. I still have a few wooden spools left. But, right now I cannot remember what we called it!

Doreen Catoe
Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
Spool knitting, and we did it with a Dad made one in the 40's too.

Angel

Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
Spool knitting, and we did it with a Dad made one in the 40's too.

Angel

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  1:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I know what you mean by "knitting knobbie"! We just didn't call them that. I can't remember what we did call them, but I had one too! In fact I have some wooden cotton reels somewhere to make some! My spinners and weavers group had a couple of huge ones made to demonstrate this to some schoolkids a couple of years ago. Unfortunately they weren't as easy to handle as the little ones we had when we were younger. But if you use thick wool the "snakes" can be stuffed as you make them, then can be made into things like pot mats etc.

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  1:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I know what you mean by "knitting knobbie"! We just didn't call them that. I can't remember what we did call them, but I had one too! In fact I have some wooden cotton reels somewhere to make some! My spinners and weavers group had a couple of huge ones made to demonstrate this to some schoolkids a couple of years ago. Unfortunately they weren't as easy to handle as the little ones we had when we were younger. But if you use thick wool the "snakes" can be stuffed as you make them, then can be made into things like pot mats etc.

KathyR
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.