Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Here's one for you!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Joyce in chicago
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  04:45:58 AM  Show Profile Send Joyce in chicago a Private Message
In the final analysis, most anything that we use in a classroom could be considered a potential weapon. Let;s consider the thumb tack that has terrorized unsuspecting youngsters for ages! When left on a chair pointy side up, it has been known to get attention from the opposite sex. The stapler is another lethal candidate. When opened flat, it can, with perfect aim ,inflict great pain. With both the stapler and the thumb tack, teachers have had their lives transformed when assembling papers or displaying the beautiful work of students. It is most unfortunate that knitting needles have been relagated in SOME schools to the banned list. Without my knitting, my students would wonder what has happened to their dear teacher. I knit while we lunch. When in an assembly, my most hyper students sit near me and each hold a ball of the softest yarn in my stash. They unwind and rewind while all the time displaying a sense of calm and utter relaxation. Knitting club is before school on Fridays for both students and parents. Knitting needles are dsiplayed in my many bud vases throughout the room. Let's not let our classrooms become a prison community where all objects are considered suspect! The one who wants to hurt another will do so without the assistance of a thumb tack, a stapler or God forbid, a knitting needle.

J in Chicago
Go to Top of Page

craftybernie
Gabber Extraordinaire

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  06:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit craftybernie's Homepage Send craftybernie a Private Message
@ RatherBKnittig - I started reading this article thinking what a lovely story, you taught your daughter and she spread the knowledge. I wasn't expecting the last paragraph where the principal banned knitting! What a shock. This is definitely one for the board of governors at your daughter's school. Such a shame that their creativity is being dealt with in such a negative manner.

www.craftybernie.blogspot.com (my knitting blog)
www.fairystuff.blogspot.com (my handmade flower fairies)
www.beadingbernie.blogspot.com (my beaded stuff)
Go to Top of Page

KnittAR
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  7:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittAR's Homepage Send KnittAR a Private Message
We have many knit groups at our small school. I teach knitting at our afterschool program, and some of the teachers let the kids knit during free time, or when the teacher is reading out loud. I really hope they don't take this away from the kids. Someone needs to start a petition or something to fix this. We need lots of new knitters!!

Later....AR
Come visit my blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.49 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by