Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting at the Dentist's
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gururamdas
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:54:27 PM  Show Profile Send gururamdas a Private Message
What a difference! I take easy garter only scarf to knit & we laugh about how it calms me down; it's wonderful! Just lay back in the chair while he works on me (unfortunately needed lots work) & knit away. A few times he has asked me to momentarily stop while he works an odd angle. I dont get uptight with the drilling sound, etc, any more & the entire staff loves my stuff! Am now a favorite patient instead of uptight wreck! Highly recommend it!

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  07:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I do the same thing! My dentist is a nice lady who crochets as a stress reliever, and we enjoy comparing patterns and seeing the different ways to do the same thing (decrease, increase, etc.). Now when I go in the first question isn't "Are you having any problems?" but "What have you been knitting lately?" And I think being memorable results in somewhat better care, as well - there's no rush to get on to the next patient!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  08:30:32 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Dentist, who is rather cool and non-communicative, came in while I was working on a sock, and became very interested in how it was constructed. He talks a little more now when I come in!

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  2:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
My husband's dental office has a subscription to Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits for the office magazine rack. Up there right next to National Fisherman. Sarah
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  4:10:14 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
My office uses this ultrasound/water thing to de-tartar (instead of the dreaded *scrape-scrape* ::shudder::) so water and ... debris ... go all over. I'd have to wash my knitting, LOL! I love the idea, though, as I'm a really dental-phobe.
Go to Top of Page

Teresa_G
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  09:27:14 AM  Show Profile Send Teresa_G a Private Message
I brought my knitting to the dentist and knitted in the waiting room when I needed a root canal, but it never even occured to me to bring it in. Maybe I'll do that next time.

chellethinques, I'm a dental-phobe too.

---------------
I'm currently working on a pair of striped mittens. After that I'm going to make a different pair of mittens, a scarf, and three pairs of socks.
Go to Top of Page

KAMAOR
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  07:14:04 AM  Show Profile Send KAMAOR a Private Message
We have people knitting in the waiting room fairly often but I can't say I have ever seen anyone knit in the clincal rooms. I always get side tracked going to greet my patient if someone is knitting I have to go see what they are working on.
Karen
Go to Top of Page

knitting_physicist
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  09:54:13 AM  Show Profile Send knitting_physicist a Private Message
Wow...I know I need some super dental work when I go in soon, but I am still not sure I could pull this trick off. I can garter stitch blind, but eek...with all that other stuff going on! How lucky you are to be able to work this one out!

-Sarah
No...gravitational physics makes the world go round.
Go to Top of Page

silfert
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  10:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit silfert's Homepage Send silfert a Private Message
YES!! I am not alone! I worked on a huge-needle-garter-stitch-shawl-project during my last appointment, which startled the bejeebers out of the RDH. Kept me from freaking out and kept her talking the whole time. My only worry about knitting during appointments is this: will the dentist get so carried away watching me that he drags the drill around my teeth? Shudder.
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  1:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
I am in awe of you all -- I just got home from the dentist and I grip the armrest so hard my hands hurt and my neck hurst from holding it so still - I can't imagine what I would do with knitting needles. And that was just a matter of a little drilling and redoing a filling I had lost. I admit I have a real phobia about dentists - I was better about having shoulder surgery while awake than going to the dentist.

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  1:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
I am in awe of you all -- I just got home from the dentist and I grip the armrest so hard my hands hurt and my neck hurst from holding it so still - I can't imagine what I would do with knitting needles. And that was just a matter of a little drilling and redoing a filling I had lost. I admit I have a real phobia about dentists - I was better about having shoulder surgery while awake than going to the dentist.

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

silfert
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  8:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit silfert's Homepage Send silfert a Private Message
I am in complete sympathy! Until I thought to bring knitting along, I left grooves in the armrests of the chair! Now just having a nice, squishy ball of yarn in my hand helps a lot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe