Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 Finger in the Center
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sweatpea
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  8:01:41 PM  Show Profile Send sweatpea a Private Message
Oh no! When I was first reading these posts, I thought I don't have a habit when I look at yarn, not me! Then I was at the LYS and I found myself doing something really silly, and sure enough I find myself doing it all the time I am looking and I know I have been doing this for a long time. So what is it you ask, I stick my finger in the center of the ball of yarn, hmmmm, so soft. Am I wierd? Don't answer that please.

Ev

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  8:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
I have to say, I do it too.

Though I wonder what Freud might have to say about it.

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  07:30:59 AM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message
What do you do when it is in a skein and not a ball?

I don't have any terribly wierd habits but I can wander around a small shop for an hour or more making decisions. Damn that budget.

-CAE
Go to Top of Page

Pat in east Texas
Chatty Knitter

314 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  10:15:30 AM  Show Profile Send Pat in east Texas a Private Message
When nobody's looking, I do, too.
Go to Top of Page

gibsongirl
Seriously Hooked

965 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  1:19:49 PM  Show Profile Send gibsongirl a Private Message
Haha--I read your post topic and knew immediately what you were talking about. And I agree with autumns' daughter about the Freudian implications of that sort of yarn admiration...yet I still do it. Especially with Kidsilk Haze or cashmerino.

-gibsongirl
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  1:30:11 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
Yup. I do that too. :-) And sometimes when I've brought home the yarn and pulled out the "yarn vomit" from the center, I stick my whole hand in (if it's a big ball like Paton's Classic Wool). Yum.

Freud must not have been a yarnaholic. LOL.

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurelflower
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  2:22:15 PM  Show Profile Send laurelflower a Private Message
Ha! i do this too..... you're not the only one. :)

"Always do right. This will gratify some and astonish the rest." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

midnightskyfibers
Gabber Extraordinaire

579 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  8:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit midnightskyfibers's Homepage Send midnightskyfibers a Private Message
I do too, especially once Ive wound the yarn into a center pull ball as the yarn is collapsing into the center.

-----
http://www.midnightskyfibers.etsy.com Handspun and handpainted yarns, fibers, and kits. Vegetarian and environmentally friendly!
--SALE going on now--
Go to Top of Page

stlstricken
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  06:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Send stlstricken a Yahoo! Message Send stlstricken a Private Message
I read this before and laughed out loud, and told my SO about it. To which of course I got the strangest look. Then he joined me for a trip to the LYS and had to laugh again when I caught myself doing just that. So I had him do it too. He just smiled and gave me that sidways "Did I always know she was this crazy?"

Steph

http://photos.yahoo.com/greeny327
Go to Top of Page

Frustrated Gramma
New Pal

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  7:20:29 PM  Show Profile Send Frustrated Gramma a Private Message
I can't believe how many of us do that very same thing! My DH actually tells me that the yarn department is one place he will not follow me because I get a faraway look in my eyes when I get my finger into the middle of a ball/skein/roll of yarn and "wiggle". I keep telling him I'm checking for knots, but he says I'm enjoying it just FAR too much and refuses to stand around lest he be associated with a "yarn mauler".

Oh, what would Freud say about all this? I honestly don't care, hee hee hee.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!! - unknown
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  7:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Frustrated Gramma
Oh, what would Freud say about all this? I honestly don't care, hee hee hee.

He'd probably be more interested in your handle, "Frustrated Gramma!" [:00][:00]

Amanda,
who
Knits

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

knittingkeri
Chatty Knitter

197 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:08:48 PM  Show Profile Send knittingkeri a Private Message
Now I don't do this, but my non-knitter DH does it with almost every ball I get.... He says he's seeing if its soft, but I think he has a secret desire to knit like no tommorrow!!!!

Month 2 of the no - new - yarn diet!!!! Plus month 2 of the no more soda diet, guess which one is going better?
Go to Top of Page

Brooke
Warming Up

89 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  2:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brooke's Homepage Send Brooke a Private Message
I do that too! I never thought it was wierd just enjoyable. HMMMMMM

Brooke
http://oklahomaknitwit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  3:39:45 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
I don't think it is weird so much as worrying. What would Freud say? Something to do with beach envy, probably. Or, you might be a female to male transexual in denial who has a yarn fetish.

What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way?
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  4:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
You are all just too kinky for words.

Well words that will make it past the filters and not produce some VERY interesting ad results anyway. I shall leave it to your considerable imaginations.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

iluvdeftones
Chatty Knitter

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  4:47:06 PM  Show Profile Send iluvdeftones a Private Message
Hee hee! I do that too! My BF does it too because he appreciates how soft the yarn is. We never considered Freud while yarn shopping, though. Now I am going to think of that everytime![:00]

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
-Lewis Carroll
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  03:53:54 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Evelyn,

You think that is bad, everytime I go to buy an iceberg lettuce I only stick my finger in the middle, I actually got caught doing it yesterday.

The man at the supermarket asked me what I was doing and I said "well if my finger goes right through it, its not much of a lettuce is it" and bought the one my finger didn't go through.

He was not impressed, I will have to send my daughter and husband up the street for a while, as they know how to behave and not go over the top.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

NuttyKnitter101
Chatty Knitter

338 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  7:19:24 PM  Show Profile Send NuttyKnitter101 a Private Message
I never really thought about it, but I do it too. I also roll a strand between my fingers. Whenever I stop to look at yarn, I have to be given a time limit. Otherwise I would spend hours looking at the single side of an aisle![:00]

If I am me,
and you are you,
then who is he?
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  3:34:02 PM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
Oh KnittingKeri,

your DH's desire is not to knit, my dear.

My habit is that I squeeze the ball/skein of yarn. Yes a squeezer and proud of it. Its definitely a sensory hobby...touch being tops with sight a close second.

happy "admiring"
Go to Top of Page

mwedzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  08:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit mwedzi's Homepage Send mwedzi a Private Message
Ah FreudSchmoid! Who DOESN'T stick their finger in the middle? And like NuttyKnitter, I roll a strand between my fingers too. It's perfectly reasonable, since if I would be working with it it would be running over my fingers the whole time and I need to know whether that is going to be a soft smooth experience or a harsh grating one. And like StitchingFool said, working with fiber is very sensual, touch AND sight. No one thinks it's weird if you look at a ball of yarn real carefully on all sides (right?), so why should it be weird if you touch it thoroughly?

I will not be shamed!

--Nikki, momentarily self-empowered yarn lover.
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  09:51:43 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
You HAVE to touch it, and stroke it, and put your finger in the middle. How else are you going to know that the pretty yarn on sale that looks like Trendsetter Dune feels just like steel wool and therefore isn't worth buying?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?