Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 Penetrating the Jungle of Love with Needles...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  04:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Once upon a time, when the world of love was newly-minted, a certain young (obsessed with knitting) bride decided to knit her luvy a sweater but, because said bride couldn't do anything simple, straight-forward and angst-free, she decided to embark on a map of Africa. He was asking for something in plain blue tweed. Tightly-knitted, the way mom knit. Getting a feel for where the story's headed? Now, in the world of novel-writing, this is called foreshadowing so I figure by now you have a big dark storm cloud hovering on the horizon.

Right. Africa. I chose a nice parchmenty tweed for the background and a set of size 4mm needles plus piles of different colors for the land masses along with a little gilty yarn for the compass rose and launched my expedition. Ahem...somewhere to the left of Madagasgar, Dr. Livingstone leaned over my shoulder, somewhat admiringly (or trying to be though perplexed might be more accurate), and said 'Hmm, interesting but that's pretty loosely knit, isn't it?' Bride infers: THAT'S NOT HOW MOM WOULD KNIT. Of course, mom didn't knit continents, did she? I was instantly hurt, being a sensitive child. I explained how the knitting would tighten considerably once I hit land because that would be all intarsia with embroidery overlay (for the jungly outcrops I pictured rising from the hills. And the foilage. Maybe a lion or two. Certainly an elephant (I had a gorgous collection of embroidery flosses in elephantine grey).

This story is getting way to long, isn't it? Guess I'd better bring it to a close with a few picture scapes: Picture one: bride is slobberating, wounded, while baffled husband stands nearby unsure of what crime he's committed now. Picture two: Africa is tossed into a grocery bag to remain undiscovered to this very day, half a continent completed too loosely (tuetonic plates threatening to break off and float off to sea). Picture Three: mother-in-law, now sadly deceased but a wonderful, pioneering soul in real life and so wise in her knitting treks, knit her son the sweater he really wanted, tightly. In blue tweed.

Confession: to this day, though every friend of mine has received both jewelry and knitting gifts from me, the love of my life has never received a single piece of knitting from his wife. Nor does he ask for one, though he is enthusiastic and supportive in all my enterprises. Now, I'm wondering, would he wear a knitted tie? With the Mars Lander (his favorite icon) intarsia-knit across the front???

http://www.janethornley.com/journal_knitters.php

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4004 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  3:07:08 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
LOL -- O Henry would died for such a story.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

PollyS
Warming Up

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  08:11:16 AM  Show Profile Send PollyS a Private Message
Wonderful story! Are you a writer? If not, you should be!

---
"Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans
When thatís where you left your heart ..."
Go to Top of Page

knitting_physicist
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  09:18:20 AM  Show Profile Send knitting_physicist a Private Message
Jane...wow! Sounds like a good reason to stick to scarves and hats for hubbys!

-Sarah
No...gravitational physics makes the world go round.
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  5:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
Do it. Keep it a secret. And when you give it to him, put your pride in your pocket. Remember that he's been revealed as a tweed guy. He may remain a tweed guy, even in the face of fabulous intarsia.
Most of all, try to have fun.

-susi
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  7:42:42 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Jane, why not just knit a tweed vest?

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  03:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Ditzy, a tweed vest? But I can't. I seem to be wired wrong for knitting anything in just one yarn. This is a certified phemonenon I'm calling AKD (Attention Knitting Deficit). My husband understands.

Jane Thornley
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  05:28:54 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Knit the man what he wants, even though it bores you to tears doing it. That`s true love. Or don`t knit him anything at all. Knitting him what YOU want and he doesn`t is a total waste of everyones time.

Val.

http://spinningfishwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  08:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
I agree so I show him my love in other ways. Believe me, there ARE other ways...
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:06:24 AM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message
There's a similar ongoing discussion in the Random Knitting section, "Who won't you knit for?" and the essence of it is, When you knit for someone else, knit what they want.

Still, my idea of infinity is knitting an adult man's sweater in fingering yarn on Size 1 needles.

"You can be patriotic and still believe some things cost more than they're worth."
Go to Top of Page

Dakota122503
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  6:00:00 PM  Show Profile Send Dakota122503 a Private Message
Good to know Africa didn't end you marriage (goodness knows they've had enough needless bloodshed!!)

Wife to Brandon 7/8/00 Mommy to Mathias 11/12/05
[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/qp2zhi.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

sachis2112
Warming Up

54 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  2:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit sachis2112's Homepage Send sachis2112 a Private Message
Aha! I have an idea! Sock weight yarn in varying shades of blue and grey. For you, it's an intarsia project with randomly place stitches of subtle difference in color. For him, it's mock-tweed.

-Sachi
http://sachis2112.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.