Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 Can you crochet with 2 different strands of yarn?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandrasingh
Seriously Hooked

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  06:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandrasingh's Homepage Send sandrasingh a Private Message
I knit, but don't crochet....it is common to knit with 2 strands of different yarn, but can you crochet like this too?

Thanks!

Sandra Singh
www.sandrasingh.com
sandrasingh@sandrasingh.com
877/519-1693

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  06:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Sure. It works the same way, you just catch two strands with the hook.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  08:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I've used the big hook, like a Q maybe, and crocheted with 3 or 4 strands before. It's kind of fun! You just have to make sure you get all the strands...just like in knitting.

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  12:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message
Crocheting with two is the same as crocheting with one, just make sure to keep bothe loops on the hook and remember you are using two strands, sometimes you can forget and you end up droping one strand...Thankfully it is easier to frog and pick up where you left off in crocheting.

[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/yarncollecter.gif[/IMG]
~Courtney [IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/knitting.gif[/IMG]
A Full Stash is a Happy Stash!!
http://crzyboutcrochet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sandrasingh
Seriously Hooked

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  05:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandrasingh's Homepage Send sandrasingh a Private Message
Thanks everyone for all of your help!!!
Sandra

Sandra Singh
www.sandrasingh.com
sandrasingh@sandrasingh.com
877/519-1693
Go to Top of Page

Knitlin
Warming Up

95 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  5:06:51 PM  Show Profile Send Knitlin a Private Message
It's also a way to use a yarn that is hard to use by itself, but if you team it with a worsted weight or something, it goes much smoother. I am currently working a round ripple with Lion's Pound of Love, and also Bernat's Self striping baby yarn. It is giving it a very unique look. I am using a light pink with a purple/pink self striping yarn.

Good luck with using two yarns. I love the effects.

LInda

knitlin
Go to Top of Page

LoneKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  12:03:12 PM  Show Profile Send LoneKnitter a Private Message
You can also do color work by running the colored yarn along the top of the last row, and crocheting over it with the current color. (I hope this makes sense) This eliminates the stranding we get with knitting. I would not try this with yarn that is dramatically different in color though. For that I would use bobbins.

Go to Top of Page

Knitasha
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
355 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  3:24:08 PM  Show Profile Send Knitasha a Private Message
I think what Lone Knitter is talking about is called Tapestry Crochet. It is sort of analagous to stranding or Fair Isle in knitting, and very easy to do. Actually, I think it's easier than Fair Isle. There are a couple of very good instruction books by Carol Ventura on the subject.

"Where so many hours have been spent in convincing myself that I am right, is there not some reason to fear I may be wrong?"
--Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?