Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 chemo caps
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

talkinator
New Pal

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  12:14:11 AM  Show Profile Send talkinator a Private Message
Hello Mari,

You are my Mummy's angel and you made her better.

I wish I could find an angel for you, so you would be better too.

Thank you for giving me my Mummy back.

I love you.

Sophie.
Go to Top of Page

talkinator
New Pal

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  12:14:11 AM  Show Profile Send talkinator a Private Message
Hello Mari,

You are my Mummy's angel and you made her better.

I wish I could find an angel for you, so you would be better too.

Thank you for giving me my Mummy back.

I love you.

Sophie.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  08:07:12 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
If she is interested in warmth, try alpaca. It is the softest yarn and the warmest. For sleeping, I suggest a mop cap, for wearing around the house a bucket hat or a baseball hat. I have patterns for all of those styles, let me know if you want one. I wrote them so there is no problem with copywrite.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  08:07:12 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
If she is interested in warmth, try alpaca. It is the softest yarn and the warmest. For sleeping, I suggest a mop cap, for wearing around the house a bucket hat or a baseball hat. I have patterns for all of those styles, let me know if you want one. I wrote them so there is no problem with copywrite.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  3:34:41 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Fran, your bucket hat and newsboy caps are fantastic! I'd wear those, bald head or not!!

Sophie, I think YOU are Mummy's angel! And you're my little angel, too! Your kind words make me feel much better!! Love to you and Mum!

Mari

WIP: Estonian Lullaby blanket in Plymouth Encore

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  3:34:41 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
Fran, your bucket hat and newsboy caps are fantastic! I'd wear those, bald head or not!!

Sophie, I think YOU are Mummy's angel! And you're my little angel, too! Your kind words make me feel much better!! Love to you and Mum!

Mari

WIP: Estonian Lullaby blanket in Plymouth Encore

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

talkinator
New Pal

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  02:31:54 AM  Show Profile Send talkinator a Private Message
Dear Mari,

Thank you, we'll both me Mummy's Angels and then she will be better for ever.

I love you.

Sophie x x x
Go to Top of Page

talkinator
New Pal

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  02:31:54 AM  Show Profile Send talkinator a Private Message
Dear Mari,

Thank you, we'll both me Mummy's Angels and then she will be better for ever.

I love you.

Sophie x x x
Go to Top of Page

bsharp2
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  6:32:48 PM  Show Profile Send bsharp2 a Private Message
As another person who has gone through chemo, I also recommend the Chinchilla. I hand washed my Chinchilla caps and just loved how soft they were. I also made myself a couple of caps from Koigu yarns--just beanie type hats, but around the house, who cares as long as your head is warm?!! When I went out, I had a denim bucket hat, but my favorite was a baseball cap I bought from American Cancer Society. Even though it was summer, I still was cold without a hat. It's true you lose a lot of heat through your head!! Good luck!!
Go to Top of Page

bsharp2
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  6:32:48 PM  Show Profile Send bsharp2 a Private Message
As another person who has gone through chemo, I also recommend the Chinchilla. I hand washed my Chinchilla caps and just loved how soft they were. I also made myself a couple of caps from Koigu yarns--just beanie type hats, but around the house, who cares as long as your head is warm?!! When I went out, I had a denim bucket hat, but my favorite was a baseball cap I bought from American Cancer Society. Even though it was summer, I still was cold without a hat. It's true you lose a lot of heat through your head!! Good luck!!
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  7:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
My Mum, in her mid 70s is currently undergoing chemo. She called and asked specifically for a beret. I made it seamless from Alpaca in one of her favourite colours and she loves it.

Wen

2006 stats: 1 FO, too many WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  7:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
My Mum, in her mid 70s is currently undergoing chemo. She called and asked specifically for a beret. I made it seamless from Alpaca in one of her favourite colours and she loves it.

Wen

2006 stats: 1 FO, too many WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

knitpicker
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile Send knitpicker a Private Message
Cindy, I used Berrocco Softy for a batch of chemo caps and got very good feedback on them. Very soft and fluffy. A similar yarn, actually almost identical, is Skacel's Drama.

I am also making a bunch in Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece, which is 80 percent cotton and 20 percent wool and comes in lots of lovely bright colors.

I try to do some in subdued colors and others in bright colors because people like different things. Some in hair-like colors of browns also.

Be sure to use fewer stitches than for a normal cap. I figure on a head circumference of 20 inches to allow for the hair being absent.

I had chemo myself and enjoyed the chemo hats others made so I find it a very rewarding way to pass it on.

Go to Top of Page

knitpicker
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile Send knitpicker a Private Message
Cindy, I used Berrocco Softy for a batch of chemo caps and got very good feedback on them. Very soft and fluffy. A similar yarn, actually almost identical, is Skacel's Drama.

I am also making a bunch in Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece, which is 80 percent cotton and 20 percent wool and comes in lots of lovely bright colors.

I try to do some in subdued colors and others in bright colors because people like different things. Some in hair-like colors of browns also.

Be sure to use fewer stitches than for a normal cap. I figure on a head circumference of 20 inches to allow for the hair being absent.

I had chemo myself and enjoyed the chemo hats others made so I find it a very rewarding way to pass it on.

Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  11:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
Carter, you bring back bittersweet memories. I knitted a beret for my mom when she was undergoing chemotherapy. We went to the yarn store together while I was visiting, picked out a pattern and yarn together and I knitted it up and sent it to her. Do you know, it was the cap she preferred above all others, and wore it constantly (except she cut the pompom off!). I didn't keep it when she passed away, but the memory that I helped make her comfortable means a lot to me.

If you'd like me to find the pattern and copy it for you, I'd be more than happy.

-susi
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  11:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
Carter, you bring back bittersweet memories. I knitted a beret for my mom when she was undergoing chemotherapy. We went to the yarn store together while I was visiting, picked out a pattern and yarn together and I knitted it up and sent it to her. Do you know, it was the cap she preferred above all others, and wore it constantly (except she cut the pompom off!). I didn't keep it when she passed away, but the memory that I helped make her comfortable means a lot to me.

If you'd like me to find the pattern and copy it for you, I'd be more than happy.

-susi
Go to Top of Page

jamesedwinsneed
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  06:02:50 AM  Show Profile Send jamesedwinsneed a Private Message
When my mom in law was being treated for breast cancer, she liked to wear soft terry cloth turbans. They fit close and were comfortable.
Knitpicks has had a chemo cap pattern they showed in their "Shine" (cotton,modal) yarn.
Gayle

"If, of thy mortal goods, though art bereft,
and from thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left,
Sell one, and from the dole,
buy hyacinths to feed the soul."
M. Sadi
Go to Top of Page

jamesedwinsneed
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  06:02:50 AM  Show Profile Send jamesedwinsneed a Private Message
When my mom in law was being treated for breast cancer, she liked to wear soft terry cloth turbans. They fit close and were comfortable.
Knitpicks has had a chemo cap pattern they showed in their "Shine" (cotton,modal) yarn.
Gayle

"If, of thy mortal goods, though art bereft,
and from thy slender store two loaves alone to thee are left,
Sell one, and from the dole,
buy hyacinths to feed the soul."
M. Sadi
Go to Top of Page

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  7:59:08 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
Has anyone tried any of the new yarns made of bamboo or soy? And there's always silk, that, while seemingly slippery as fabric, may have more cling when knitted, yet soft. I have heard from some knitters who are allergic to wool, but don't like the stiffness and eventual relaxation of stitches in cotton, and they were discussing these newer substances...
Go to Top of Page

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  7:59:08 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
Has anyone tried any of the new yarns made of bamboo or soy? And there's always silk, that, while seemingly slippery as fabric, may have more cling when knitted, yet soft. I have heard from some knitters who are allergic to wool, but don't like the stiffness and eventual relaxation of stitches in cotton, and they were discussing these newer substances...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?