Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 hand injury!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  11:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
Okay, knitting is therpeutic, but I've developed an RSI in my left hand and arm and have been in pain for several weeks. Imagine my dismay when an evening knitting the heel flap on a sock left me in such pain that I didn't sleep that night.

I'm beginning physical therapy again tomorrow. But the worry about what I can and cannot do, what will make my arm hurt, how much I can knit, type, what to do about WORK, lifting, carrying, shopping, all the ins and outs of life that require a working appendage is kind of stressing me out.

Has anyone had to deal with this? Any hugs out there? Massage gift certificates gratefully accepted.

-susi

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Well, I have carpal tunnel, 6 types of arthritis and a history of paralysis in my right arm so I think I know where you are coming from. Reread your note. That is a list of the things you will need to learn, but don't let them stress you out, just learn them one after the other. Once you stop harming yourself since you don't know your limits and start taking care of yourself since you do know your limits, life gets better.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  12:12:12 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Well, I have carpal tunnel, 6 types of arthritis and a history of paralysis in my right arm so I think I know where you are coming from. Reread your note. That is a list of the things you will need to learn, but don't let them stress you out, just learn them one after the other. Once you stop harming yourself since you don't know your limits and start taking care of yourself since you do know your limits, life gets better.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  1:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
>>>>>>hug<<<<<<

Jo

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  1:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
>>>>>>hug<<<<<<

Jo

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
Go to Top of Page

Pink Dandelion
Chatty Knitter

136 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  1:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pink Dandelion's Homepage Send Pink Dandelion a Private Message
I haven't dealt with that before personally, but I'm good for some hugs!

((((HUGS)))) Hang in there

[img]http://pinkdandelion.com/images/PDgifsmall.gif[/img]
My Blog:www.pinkdandelion.com
Go to Top of Page

Pink Dandelion
Chatty Knitter

136 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  1:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pink Dandelion's Homepage Send Pink Dandelion a Private Message
I haven't dealt with that before personally, but I'm good for some hugs!

((((HUGS)))) Hang in there

[img]http://pinkdandelion.com/images/PDgifsmall.gif[/img]
My Blog:www.pinkdandelion.com
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  1:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
Not exactly the same but I broke my shoulder in three places a few years ago and have had a couple of surgeries because of it and have some limits to what the blasted arm will do now so I understand a bit where you are coming from. First when you are at PT ask about icing and maybe using heat packs at night as they help with different things for me. Also on knitting you may have to take some breaks and do some exercise that PT might tell you and maybe switch off on projects - for instance to something using a larger needle than a sock needle (I seem to remember they are pretty small)

On daily stuff -- don't sweat it too much -- if there are things you can't do you will adjust. I can't get anything from high shelves anymore so I rearranged things so I don't have to use them as much. Can't carry a lot in my right hand so my poor left one is getting all the weight (gonna have one heck of a muscle there lol) You will be surprised at how fast you adjust. I couldn't believe how fast I could type left handed and one handed when I had to for months when I couldn't use my right arm at all. Not a speed demon but pretty darn fast

Lots of nights I end up getting up because of arm pain - I will do an ice pack or hot pack, get on the computer, read, or knit for awhile - sometimes I can go back to bed sometimes I can't. Add that to menopause insomnia and you have lots of fun (ugh)

PT will help - do everything they tell you - do your home exercises - ask questions.

***HUGS***

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  1:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
Not exactly the same but I broke my shoulder in three places a few years ago and have had a couple of surgeries because of it and have some limits to what the blasted arm will do now so I understand a bit where you are coming from. First when you are at PT ask about icing and maybe using heat packs at night as they help with different things for me. Also on knitting you may have to take some breaks and do some exercise that PT might tell you and maybe switch off on projects - for instance to something using a larger needle than a sock needle (I seem to remember they are pretty small)

On daily stuff -- don't sweat it too much -- if there are things you can't do you will adjust. I can't get anything from high shelves anymore so I rearranged things so I don't have to use them as much. Can't carry a lot in my right hand so my poor left one is getting all the weight (gonna have one heck of a muscle there lol) You will be surprised at how fast you adjust. I couldn't believe how fast I could type left handed and one handed when I had to for months when I couldn't use my right arm at all. Not a speed demon but pretty darn fast

Lots of nights I end up getting up because of arm pain - I will do an ice pack or hot pack, get on the computer, read, or knit for awhile - sometimes I can go back to bed sometimes I can't. Add that to menopause insomnia and you have lots of fun (ugh)

PT will help - do everything they tell you - do your home exercises - ask questions.

***HUGS***

rho

Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  08:46:35 AM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
ASk about ice, and believe them when they tell you what to do! I didn't believe them until I tried it. In an emergency, you can use a refrigerated drinking fountain. Just wash your hands first.

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  08:46:35 AM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
ASk about ice, and believe them when they tell you what to do! I didn't believe them until I tried it. In an emergency, you can use a refrigerated drinking fountain. Just wash your hands first.

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
((((HUGS AND MORE HUGS)))

and a suggestion: think about what positions are worst. A lady I know has shoulder injuries which make it difficult to knit or crochet for any length of time because of the angle of her arms but she is able to spin for much longer periods. Can you modify some of your hand/arm positions to decrease the pain? Perhaps learn a new gripe on items you must carry?
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
((((HUGS AND MORE HUGS)))

and a suggestion: think about what positions are worst. A lady I know has shoulder injuries which make it difficult to knit or crochet for any length of time because of the angle of her arms but she is able to spin for much longer periods. Can you modify some of your hand/arm positions to decrease the pain? Perhaps learn a new gripe on items you must carry?
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  07:01:07 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
I, too, suffer from arm pain and was told that knitting would not be good for me. But would I listen? Absolutely not! Here's what I've found...I take frequent breaks and stretch alot. Also, I never knit just socks on itty bitty dpn's as they always produce lots of pain. I have a few projects going at once so if I'm having a bad arm day, I can still knit something else. And as my therapist always tells me "Ice is your friend!". I have discovered that frozen peas make a great ice pack. The bag conforms well to my arm/elbow and is quite comfy.
And here's a great big e-hug!!
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  07:01:07 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
I, too, suffer from arm pain and was told that knitting would not be good for me. But would I listen? Absolutely not! Here's what I've found...I take frequent breaks and stretch alot. Also, I never knit just socks on itty bitty dpn's as they always produce lots of pain. I have a few projects going at once so if I'm having a bad arm day, I can still knit something else. And as my therapist always tells me "Ice is your friend!". I have discovered that frozen peas make a great ice pack. The bag conforms well to my arm/elbow and is quite comfy.
And here's a great big e-hug!!
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  4:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
thanks all for your suugestions and hugs! I have follow PT's instructions for stretching -- she thinks it's a reactivation of a whiplash injury from 12 years ago. This, by the way,is my FIFTH trip to PT, but I was fooled this time because the problem started in my hands, not my neck!

With two massages, copious drugs (now stopped) and lots of hot packs, the pain is mostly gone, but resurfaces quickly. I'm a librarian and have spent two years in a very awkward working position, because of my need to supervise the library (HS of 900 boys) and a particularly dimwitted redesign of the library 4 years ago -- which paid all the attention to design and none to the librarian's health!

The workspace has been rearranged and is truly comfortable for the very first time. It's ugly as hell, but it is just right.

I'll end this before my hands hurt.... thank you all again, so, so much!!!

-susi
Go to Top of Page

susiknits
Permanent Resident

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  4:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit susiknits's Homepage  Send susiknits a Yahoo! Message Send susiknits a Private Message
thanks all for your suugestions and hugs! I have follow PT's instructions for stretching -- she thinks it's a reactivation of a whiplash injury from 12 years ago. This, by the way,is my FIFTH trip to PT, but I was fooled this time because the problem started in my hands, not my neck!

With two massages, copious drugs (now stopped) and lots of hot packs, the pain is mostly gone, but resurfaces quickly. I'm a librarian and have spent two years in a very awkward working position, because of my need to supervise the library (HS of 900 boys) and a particularly dimwitted redesign of the library 4 years ago -- which paid all the attention to design and none to the librarian's health!

The workspace has been rearranged and is truly comfortable for the very first time. It's ugly as hell, but it is just right.

I'll end this before my hands hurt.... thank you all again, so, so much!!!

-susi
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  5:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
Glad you are feeling better -- I can relate to the whiplash thing totally. I know that when my pinky and the finger next to it start to numb up it is from my neck and I need and adjustment. Took me a long time to make the connection of my finger to my neck though.

rho

Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  5:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
Glad you are feeling better -- I can relate to the whiplash thing totally. I know that when my pinky and the finger next to it start to numb up it is from my neck and I need and adjustment. Took me a long time to make the connection of my finger to my neck though.

rho

Go to Top of Page

CMajor5963
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  7:29:03 PM  Show Profile Send CMajor5963 a Private Message
Any ideas to help my arthritic thumbs so I can keep knitting. I will be lost with out knitting, besides I have several projects to finish ;-) I am in PT for my thumbs, but it hurts my left one especially. Any suggestions or solutions?
Go to Top of Page

CMajor5963
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  7:29:03 PM  Show Profile Send CMajor5963 a Private Message
Any ideas to help my arthritic thumbs so I can keep knitting. I will be lost with out knitting, besides I have several projects to finish ;-) I am in PT for my thumbs, but it hurts my left one especially. Any suggestions or solutions?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?