Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 projects that are too nice to start?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  6:31:08 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
I saw the subject heading 'yarn that is too nnice to knit' and it made me think of 2 sweater patterns I have. They are so beautiful, that I am afraid that if they don't fit properly or don't flatter me when I am finished, the disappointment will be too much. Does anybody else feel that way?

What would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way?

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  6:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Yup. My husband's anniversary sweater has been started over and over (at least three times) and I'm just afraid he won't like it.

I also have a vest that I can see in my mind so clearly but I can't get the pattern design on paper (or yarn)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

careynev
Chatty Knitter

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  1:59:38 PM  Show Profile Send careynev a Private Message
I have an expensive Ron Schweitzer kit for a vest that I've had sitting in a prominent place in my office because I love the design and the colors so much, but I'm terrified of doing the work. I haven't done any fair isle work other than one little band around a baby sweater, and I've never steeked...eek!

Someday...maybe even soon...I think I'm working up the courage...

--Judy

Judy, the Nerdy Knitter
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  10:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
I'm starting to feel this way about a sweater I've been plotting for a few months.. This certian sweater has had a hold on me like no other.. and I'm really really wanting it.. but I've got a small (Ever growing, as it becomes more of a reality.) fear that if I do try to knit it and it ends up terrible that I'll completely lose it and be a puddle of my former self.

...Suddenly all this sounds very dramatic.. but.. I'm sure you understand.

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  12:17:39 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by careynev
and I've never steeked...eek!

Someday...maybe even soon...I think I'm working up the courage...

--Judy

Judy, the Nerdy Knitter

I've never steeked either but I feel qualified to give advice here. My sister recently did a beautiful Dale of Norway baby sweater that is steeked and she called me for courage before cutting. My husband suggested that before she cut the actual sweater, she knit up a test swatch and practice steeking on that first. She was happy that she listened to him because she found that her machine stitches were too loose and she might have really messed up the sweater.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  05:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Good thoughts here - I don't usually think something is too nice for me to knit, but I do fear something being either so complicated or having so many stitches that I grow bored with it and just quit half way through.

And there is always the fear that it will be a beautiful garment that looks like heck on this body. What if I look like a marshmallow? What if it makes me look pregnant. What if I don't look like Catherine Zeta Jones - ooops. Yeah. I already don't look like her.

But that's a self image thing, isn't it? Not a knitting one.[:00]

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  05:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
I think I suffer from a touch of completion anxiety. I'll have a go at most things but towards the end of a project I feel myself slowing down as if I'm subconsciously worried that it won't look as good when it's finished as the picture I have of it in my head.

It's getting better - I hope that means my standards of work are getting higher rather than my expectations lower!

Jane

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

JannyW
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  10:12:27 AM  Show Profile Send JannyW a Private Message
Oh yeah, it goes something like this:
me: Isn't this yarn just the yummiest? (said while holding, carressing, sniffing etc said yummy yarn)
B: What would you make from it?
me: I don't know, but I must have it!

Eventually a project does present itself, but some yarns are just meant to be savored

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
~~ John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  10:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
I have that savoring experience JannyW talks about. And Jane, I can totally relate to your comment too. I tend to have such high expectations in my mind that the finished result can never come close. Mind you, not much of this is rooted in reality - it's a mental thing. Yet another trait to work on this year. (And I'm confident your standards are simply keeping pace with your ever-improving abilities! Not the other way around.)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  11:38:32 AM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
Yup. I've been coveting the infamous Rogue for MONTHS now... I know that I have the skills to do it, but if it isn't perfect or if it doesn't look good on me, I'd probably cry. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and knit it as part of Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics... that way I'll be too busy trying to get the bloody thing done to actually worry about it... of course by the end of it I'll probably be completely batty (assuming I even get it done in time...)

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  1:10:27 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
For me it is the Rose Garland Shawl in a lace weight yarn that I kool aid dyed.I have the needles. This is my lace year and I want to practice, practice and practice some more than I will start it very slowly and carefully. It is a georgeous shawl and I am looking forward to working on it.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  1:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
>>>surreptitiously hiding 5 gorgeous skeins of KPPPM and the Charlotte's Web shawl pattern I bought 800 years ago<<<

No, I have no idea what you are all talking about. Just because I've never knit a lace shawl before doesn't mean I'm scared to try it or anything.

Jo >innocentlook<

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
Go to Top of Page

jkbailey1@msn.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  3:43:43 PM  Show Profile Send jkbailey1@msn.com a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ditzy Girl

For me it is the Rose Garland Shawl in a lace weight yarn that I kool aid dyed.I have the needles. This is my lace year and I want to practice, practice and practice some more than I will start it very slowly and carefully. It is a georgeous shawl and I am looking forward to working on it.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Where could I find the pattern for the Rose Garland shawl? It sounds lovely.
Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  8:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
I have more than a few like that. and I'm definitely one of those, "it's almost done but I'm afraid it won't look right so I put it away" types.

StephanieR
Cats really aren't all that clean; they're just covered in cat spit.
Go to Top of Page

katitude1
New Pal

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  11:26:12 PM  Show Profile Send katitude1 a Private Message
I have experienced both the "too beautiful to knit" and the "yarn savoring" dilemmas - neurotic little thing, aren't I?
I need to be in the proper frame of mind to start some projects, especially those that are gifts or use new skills, because I want them to be perfect. Which makes me wonder if those of us with TBTK (Too Beautiful to Knit) Syndrome are more perfectionistic people in general? Hmmm...

kat
an American knitter in Australia
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  10:12:08 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Yarn, yes. Pattern, no.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

Debbie Mo
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  11:09:34 AM  Show Profile Send Debbie Mo a Private Message
I have two fair isle sweater kits which require steeking. But this is the year. I'm currently in the process of building my courage to start by learning all I can about steeking. But I keep getting distracted by other, seemingly easier, projects.

Debbie Mo
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  08:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
I have this problem with sweaters, period. I buy yarn for them and then put them off ... and put them off ... and put them off. Stupid anxiety. Sometimes I just want to shake myself and say "You've done sweaters before, just do the next one before the socks take over the house!" They're ALL too nice to start, because they're big, cool projects.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  12:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
Well.. I've bitten the bullet and ordered the yarn and pattern of the sweater I was talking about... The magical and wonderful Traveling Cables Cardigan.. I'm even more nervous now..

Not only is that pattern great in my mind/vision... but it's also much more difficult than anything else I've ever attempted.. and to add on more pressure.. it's my first time to self-fund a huge knitting project.. so my husband will have a watchful eye over all that yarn/money I spent.. and I will feel SO GUILTY if it doesn't work out..

But then I remind myself.. just one stitch at a time.. frogging is ok.. and if it comes down to it.. Kpixie has a 60 day return policy.

-Kim-

Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  2:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
Oh, I LOVE that sweater! It's on my list but I so seldom knit for myself that who knows when I'll ever get to it! Good luck with it, Kim, I'm sure you can do it! I love the deep blue you chose, don't you think the color they show the finished sweater in is, umm, weird?? I hope you track your progress on your blog, I'd love to watch it grow. Maybe someone here has already made it and can help you along if you need it...

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  2:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sticks and String

Oh, I LOVE that sweater! It's on my list but I so seldom knit for myself that who knows when I'll ever get to it! Good luck with it, Kim, I'm sure you can do it! I love the deep blue you chose, don't you think the color they show the finished sweater in is, umm, weird?? I hope you track your progress on your blog, I'd love to watch it grow. Maybe someone here has already made it and can help you along if you need it...

Jo

Thank you! Yes.. I think the color they made it in is weird.. so.. army drab if you ask me.. but I think it'll be much better in the dark teal ; ) I was hoping to run across a KAL for this pattern but I guess it's not popular enough... Maybe I should start one... I've been thinking about it anyway! I will definitely be blogging about this one.. it's too big a project not to!

Thanks for the encouragement!!

-Kim-

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth