Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Software
 Sweater Wizard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

obismom
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  05:54:52 AM  Show Profile Send obismom a Private Message
There is a program called Sweater Wizard that I've heard about. You can plug in your measurements and specs for sweaters, vests, etc. Then it prints out a pattern. I'm returning to knitting after many years; I've made a sweater, some felted things, scarves and shawls. I'm wondering if this would be a good purchase. How easy is it to use? Do you need to be really advanced in knitting and/or computer skills or is it user friendly?

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  06:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
I bought it ages ago and use it for every sweater I knit! Say you see a picture of a sweater you like . . no problem. All you do is, like you said, plug in your swatched gauges, measurements, type of sweater, sleeves etc. and away you go! A very versitile program that I love.

The program is simple to use. I always save a copy in Word so that I can insert notes as I knit. You do not have to be an advanced knitter or computer geek.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  09:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I bought the program about a year ago and love it. The support Carole gives is great, and if you sign up for the yahoo list (sweaterwizard) you can search the archives for past topics as well. The program is trememdously flexible, and I've really enjoyed it. Like Sharon, I save copies of the patterns in Word and add my own notes both before and after printing out.

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  11:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Ditto what everyone has said.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  1:24:39 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I love it, too, and would point out that KnitPicks usually has it for $69 as opposed to the list price of $89. And free shipping. NAYY.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

obismom
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  06:46:29 AM  Show Profile Send obismom a Private Message
Thanks for the info. Think I'll buy it. I'm planning on taking a class where you knit the sleeves and back of a jacket and quilt the front. Apparently you can adapt both knitting and sewing patterns. This program would help, I think.
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  10:27:58 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
I'm playing with the demo version of Knitware Sweater Design

http://www.knitware.ca/desc.htm

and so far, I like it. Some of the features of the full version are disabled in the demo but there's still enough functionality to design and print out patterns and schematics as well as saving them to your hard drive. It's also a little less expensive than Sweater Wizard. Has anyone used it? I'd be interested to see how it compares to Sweater Wizard.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  12:00:53 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
I also love SW and just got Knitting Math Wizard which calculates where to place buttonholes, placement of increases and deccreases, and placement of patterns. It is so handy and I can't wait to do something with buttonholes and use it.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

pamulla@earthlink.net
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit pamulla@earthlink.net's Homepage Send pamulla@earthlink.net a Private Message
I use the Math Wizard all the time esp for placing decreases evenly. I use the Sweater Wizard often, too but sometimes I have trouble replicating a pattern that I want to change the gauge on.
Has anyone used Needletrax/ I used it for cataloguing all my needles, yarns, and books and patterns. My laptop blew up before I could save everything and now I cannot import all my Excel info back in. Has anyone used this one and had success?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe