Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Regia cotton/wool yarn for socks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2002 :  4:07:36 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I'm about to start a pair of socks with this yarn...I just got two different colors for two pairs of socks...and I would like to hear from you about your favorite patterns for Regia so that you preserve the pattern made by the yarn.

I love the way the yarn looks, but do I really have to knit it on a size 1 needle?

I'd love any help and suggestions you have about the Regia yarn.

Shirley

sks
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2002 :  5:30:10 PM  Show Profile Send sks a Private Message
Shirley,
I'm working on my first pair with Regia. I'm using a size 3 DPN and got 7 stitches to the inch. I did a circular swatch on DPNs with a size 2, 3, and 4 to see which fabric I liked better. The striped pattern is maintained with all three sizes. It looks so cool!
Enjoy!
sks

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2002 :  10:44:56 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Hi sks...thanks for the info...#3's are much better than #1's. <G> I'll do a swatch and see how it goes. Thanks.

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

cast-on
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  1:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cast-on's Homepage Send cast-on a Private Message
I showed off my completed pair of socks knit with multi-patterned Regia to a friend who stopped knitting 3 years ago after a disappointing experience and she couldn't wait to go to my favorite yarn store (knitters are always ready to check out a new store). She picked out some Regia yarn to get started along with needles and while I was there, I purchased more as well in another color pattern; this time I am doing the striped version. I am getting ready for a vacation to Hawaii and I hope to smuggle it on in my carry-on bag. I was successful in Oct. by putting other pencils, etc. next to the #2 DPN needles in the bottom of my bag. I will sit next to the window, not next to the aisle where folks will be scrutinizing me. Of course, I will have another project in my suitcase as well.

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  2:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I've knitted a few pairs of socks with Regia. I've always cast on 60 stitches on #2 needles for adult socks and 40 stitches for kid socks. I've been very happy with my results. I also do the traditional heel flap and it turns out really cute.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  6:22:59 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Cast-on. I will be interested to hear how you fare on smuggling in your needles. I'm afraid that I'm chicken...afraid to loose my needles and my project. <G>

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  6:55:52 PM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
My last flight, I was chicken too. I mailed my knitting project ahead and took a small spindle and roving on the plane. Two other passengers tried the spindle during a lay over between planes.

Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2002 :  1:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
Hi all,
Someone told me that you are allowed to pack your knitting in your bags that are checked and put in the cargo area -is this right? I would HATE not knitting on the plane, but not having it with me at ALL when I land makes me cringe!! Thoughts?
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2002 :  4:47:43 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Yes, it's ok to have the knitting in your packed luggage. But...the whole reason I started knitting socks and using bamboo needles was so I could knit on the airplane! <G> Oh well..

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Cedar
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  5:47:52 PM  Show Profile Send Cedar a Private Message
A tip on knitting with the Regia jaquard pattern:

Maybe most of you are clever enough not to need this warning. But I just finished my first sock using the Regia yarn. I'm using a great pattern called twinkle-toes (I can't remember the designer off-hand) and this nifty yarn. But the patterned ribbing on the sock does NOT show off the Regia to the best advantage. The really nifty jaquard effect just disappears. It doesn't look bad, just not as nice as the the stockinette stitch on the bottom of the sock.

The moral of the post:
If you're going to spring for the Regia patterned yarn, use a nice smooth stitch pattern and a nice plain sock. Do the fancy patterns to embellish a plain yarn. Common sense, really, but I had to do it to figure it out...

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2002 :  9:47:08 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
This is good to know. I am good at complicating a good thing. This sounds much easier!

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2002 :  4:23:32 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi. I've knit several pair of socks with the Regia yarn. I rib for only about 1 inch and then I knit stockinette stitch for the rest of the foot. I got a little bored with the last pair and am just now finishing up the toe on the second sock. I put this pair aside to knit a couple of pairs of socks using a lacy pattern for variety. Now I need to finish the toe of that sock. It's actually snowing in Oklahoma today, I might need the socks in the morning! Anyway, (Lissa close your eyes now ), but I found a book at Walmart last night by the makers of the Lion brand Woolease yarn. It is for their sport weight yarn and has a sock pattern in it. I'm going to try the socks just for the fun of seeing how fast they knit up! If the yarn doesn't wear well, they will still probably make a good pair of socks to wear around the house. I'll let you know later.....the pattern calls for size 3 needles, believe it or not I don't have that size, so I'm adjusting the pattern to use a size US 2.5! I'll probably like the tighter knit anyway.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  04:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I was at my favorite lys last week and they had some regia socks knitted with two strands of the yarn. mmmm. very nice .... oh. a senior moment here - i remember that I liked how they look but I can't remember if the striped effect held while doubled. I think not but isn't that dreadful!

She also had the clear plastic boots.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  04:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I was at my favorite lys last week and they had some regia socks knitted with two strands of the yarn. mmmm. very nice .... oh. a senior moment here - i remember that I liked how they look but I can't remember if the striped effect held while doubled. I think not but isn't that dreadful! But it looked like they were knit with 4's or perhaps even 5's. felt wonderful too

She also had the clear plastic boots.

Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  05:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
quote:

I am getting ready for a vacation to Hawaii and I hope to smuggle it on in my carry-on bag. I was successful in Oct. by putting other pencils, etc. next to the #2 DPN needles in the bottom of my bag. I will sit next to the window, not next to the aisle where folks will be scrutinizing me. Of course, I will have another project in my suitcase as well.

Speaking of knittin' and flyin'... Last October on a flight from Atlanta to Denmark through Washington, D.C., I got randomly selected to have a complete search of my luggage. I didn't happen to have any knitting needles in my carry on bag, but I did ask the lady doing the search and she said that they were not on the list of things that weren't allowed. I happen to think that circular needles could be a serious weapon for strangling somebody, but I can't imagine that much harm could come from little #2 DPN's, especially if they're wooden or bamboo.

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

tyrone
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  8:53:43 PM  Show Profile Send tyrone a Private Message
Hello, I just knit my very first pair of socks using the Regia sock yarn. I used #2 needles, and cast on 60 stitches, for my medium sized foot. They came out really really nice!!! I have shocked myself!!!! "Norweger ringel" is the style of yarn. I am so enthused that I went out and bought three more colors, this time I am going to try the "jacquard" styles. I knit 24 rows of K1 P1 ribbing, then continued onto stockinette. Happy Knitting to all !

Go to Top of Page

tighniamh
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  1:33:11 PM  Show Profile Send tighniamh a Private Message
Hi
I recently finished my first pair of socks. I used Regia clown and a pattern from Lornas Laces, Slipped Stitch Rib. The colors came out great and the slip stitch pattern adds a lot of detail. My daughter picked out the yarn and pattern when we were at the Denver Creative Show a few weeks back and she's going to be suprised when I give her the finished socks for Valentines day! The socks were so much fun to knit that I have started another pair. This time I'm using a free pattern I got from http://www.theknitter.com, called Summer Garden Socks. This is also where I purchased the yarn.

Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  08:47:51 AM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
Help! Help! I gave in and bought the Regia yarn and now can't find the directions to start the socks. What size needle and how many stitches do I need. And I really want to start this pair at the toe. I need to adapt a toe up pattern to this fine a yarn when I know a bit more. Somewhere in the forum I saw reference to a Regia pattern. Where is it I have looked for an hour and still can't find it. Help!
Angel (if simple dirctions are inside the Regia label I will feel like a fool but please help.

Angel

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?