Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 My Embarrassing Habit When Admiring Yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  9:11:09 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Inside a store, I tend to grab a couple of skeins of something that catches my eye, and then see something else and grab another couple of skeins of that, and then another and then another...and then I cannot decide which ones I want so I go back and forth within the store, putting skeins back, grabbing more skeins...etc. So basically I have an armful of random skeins that I sometimes drop all over the floor...

Rae
Chatty Knitter

131 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  11:24:56 PM  Show Profile Send Rae a Private Message
I do the same thing, and the staff at my LYS see's me fumbling with the yarn, and always offer to hold it at the register for me. Since I don't know what I want, or how many, or what color, I have to tell them no, and continue to walk around with sometimes over-burdened arms.
Go to Top of Page

Rae
Chatty Knitter

131 Posts

I do the same thing, and the staff at my LYS see's me fumbling with the yarn, and always offer to hold it at the register for me. Since I don't know what I want, or how many, or what color, I have to tell them no, and continue to walk around with sometimes over-burdened arms.
Go to Top of Page

Rae
Chatty Knitter

131 Posts

Go to Top of Page

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  08:31:50 AM  Show Profile Send JudyM a Private Message
Oh, thank you both - I thought I was the only one! Maybe our LYS's could get us a set of shopping baskets. They'd have to be flat and wide, so we could keep re-arranging the skeins to see the various color combinations.

Actually, mine in Minneapolis is extra good, because they have a large table at the front (plenty of daylight) to display new books and yarn swatches, and when they're not too busy they allow customers to pile up their "possibles" for consideration there. I wonder what the average time of a shopping visit to a good yarn store is? Pretty close to an hour, I bet!

Go to Top of Page

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  08:31:50 AM  Show Profile Send JudyM a Private Message
Oh, thank you both - I thought I was the only one! Maybe our LYS's could get us a set of shopping baskets. They'd have to be flat and wide, so we could keep re-arranging the skeins to see the various color combinations.

Actually, mine in Minneapolis is extra good, because they have a large table at the front (plenty of daylight) to display new books and yarn swatches, and when they're not too busy they allow customers to pile up their "possibles" for consideration there. I wonder what the average time of a shopping visit to a good yarn store is? Pretty close to an hour, I bet!

Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  08:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
I do this, too. I also feel like I bother my LYS employees a lot because they don't price their items. So, I end up with 20 different colors/types of yarn in my hands and ask them to tell me the prices of each one several times because I get them all mixed up!
-sarah

Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  08:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
I do this, too. I also feel like I bother my LYS employees a lot because they don't price their items. So, I end up with 20 different colors/types of yarn in my hands and ask them to tell me the prices of each one several times because I get them all mixed up!
-sarah

Go to Top of Page

trixie2020
Chatty Knitter

206 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  08:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit trixie2020's Homepage Send trixie2020 a Private Message
sarah-

That's their fault, not yours! my not so "L" LYS (read: 5 hours away) has a wonderful setup. Each yarn is on its own shelf arranged by colors, they are *all* swatched on several needle sizes and they all have their own index card with things like suggested needle size, gauge, content, care, and PRICE. It's very, very helpful. The LYS in my parents' town has shopping baskets, but they're too small (of course! ).

I am also the kind of yarn shopper who looks like a chicken with no head. I carry a few skeins around for a while, see something else, start doing math in my head, put a few back, say, "Oh, what the heck," and grab them all back and get them all anyways! Even the ones I've already put back! And I bet my average visit is about an hour... maybe more! But that's partly because I can only get there every few months.

Jen M

"Me, ambivalent? Well, yes and no..."

www.monkeyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

trixie2020
Chatty Knitter

206 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  08:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit trixie2020's Homepage Send trixie2020 a Private Message
sarah-

That's their fault, not yours! my not so "L" LYS (read: 5 hours away) has a wonderful setup. Each yarn is on its own shelf arranged by colors, they are *all* swatched on several needle sizes and they all have their own index card with things like suggested needle size, gauge, content, care, and PRICE. It's very, very helpful. The LYS in my parents' town has shopping baskets, but they're too small (of course! ).

I am also the kind of yarn shopper who looks like a chicken with no head. I carry a few skeins around for a while, see something else, start doing math in my head, put a few back, say, "Oh, what the heck," and grab them all back and get them all anyways! Even the ones I've already put back! And I bet my average visit is about an hour... maybe more! But that's partly because I can only get there every few months.

Jen M

"Me, ambivalent? Well, yes and no..."

www.monkeyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  08:46:32 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Gee whillikers, I've done this too! Oooooh! Look at this! No! NO! Gotta have this! and so on and so on, till I'm dropping skeins everywhere. Sigh!

Ours does provide baskets...not bright yellow plastic, but woven baskets. They are not as Judy described though! I can see the perfect basket right now...it's in my mom's house in SC. I think it was called a flower gathering basket. It's a wide, flat oval with a tall handle made for carring over your elbow. If it had a one inch lip all around, it would be perfect! Of course, we'd all be bumping into each other and each other's baskets!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Gee whillikers, I've done this too! Oooooh! Look at this! No! NO! Gotta have this! and so on and so on, till I'm dropping skeins everywhere. Sigh!

Ours does provide baskets...not bright yellow plastic, but woven baskets. They are not as Judy described though! I can see the perfect basket right now...it's in my mom's house in SC. I think it was called a flower gathering basket. It's a wide, flat oval with a tall handle made for carring over your elbow. If it had a one inch lip all around, it would be perfect! Of course, we'd all be bumping into each other and each other's baskets!

chris

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

chris

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  11:14:22 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Thank you for all your funny posts. I wish the LYS that I go to most often has baskets, but they don't (in fact I have not been to one store around here that has baskets). They only have about 2-3 skeins of each kind of yarn on display and if you want more you'll have to get them out of a plastic bag at the back of the shelf. Sometimes I fumble with that a lot since I'm holding other skeins already.

Luckily though, each skein there is marked with the price and other important info, which is a great plus. There were other stores I went to that did not have this, and it's REALLY annoying to have to find out the price for each when you have various skeins in your arms. Once I had so many skeins that I just told the lady to add it up on the counter and it turned out to be over $200! I was shocked...I'm not planning on buying anything without finding out the price of each again!!

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  11:14:22 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Thank you for all your funny posts. I wish the LYS that I go to most often has baskets, but they don't (in fact I have not been to one store around here that has baskets). They only have about 2-3 skeins of each kind of yarn on display and if you want more you'll have to get them out of a plastic bag at the back of the shelf. Sometimes I fumble with that a lot since I'm holding other skeins already.

Luckily though, each skein there is marked with the price and other important info, which is a great plus. There were other stores I went to that did not have this, and it's REALLY annoying to have to find out the price for each when you have various skeins in your arms. Once I had so many skeins that I just told the lady to add it up on the counter and it turned out to be over $200! I was shocked...I'm not planning on buying anything without finding out the price of each again!!

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  4:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
My favourite yarn store is 2 hours away so I don't get there very often. I actually don't buy yarn very often as I don't have a lot of money spare and I spin most of mine, anyway. But when I do get there I often forget what I came for as there is just so much yarn there!

The store is downstairs, almost like a basement, with no windows. It seems to meander around with lots of little bays dedicated to different types of yarn. I just wander around with a rather dazed look on my face drinking in all the colours.

But the most embarrassing part is when I leave. I seem to be directionally challenged at times, and when I try to get out of the place I always turn the wrong way and end up wandering back in! Maybe I don't really want to leave.

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  4:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
My favourite yarn store is 2 hours away so I don't get there very often. I actually don't buy yarn very often as I don't have a lot of money spare and I spin most of mine, anyway. But when I do get there I often forget what I came for as there is just so much yarn there!

The store is downstairs, almost like a basement, with no windows. It seems to meander around with lots of little bays dedicated to different types of yarn. I just wander around with a rather dazed look on my face drinking in all the colours.

But the most embarrassing part is when I leave. I seem to be directionally challenged at times, and when I try to get out of the place I always turn the wrong way and end up wandering back in! Maybe I don't really want to leave.

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I'm like this with both yarn and fabric! I pick up a bundle of fat quarters (quilters will know what I mean) or a coupla skeins in a colourway, and lie them on the nearest counter...stand back to get a sense or feel for how it might make up or what I might do with it...

Fortunately, the women who work in the LYS/LFS all have the same addiction, so it's only embarrassing to non-crafters!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2003 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I'm like this with both yarn and fabric! I pick up a bundle of fat quarters (quilters will know what I mean) or a coupla skeins in a colourway, and lie them on the nearest counter...stand back to get a sense or feel for how it might make up or what I might do with it...

Fortunately, the women who work in the LYS/LFS all have the same addiction, so it's only embarrassing to non-crafters!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

ottergrrl

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  09:27:53 AM  Show Profile Send ottergrrl a Private Message
Not only do i carry all sortsa yarns in different colorways around with me; I have been known to make various squealing noises upon discovering a great yarn for the first time. forturnately linda the owner of my only, fave LYS is very, very patient with me. She has been known to talk me down from buying way too much of something really way too expensive for the project i intended to use it for.
Go to Top of Page

ottergrrl

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  09:27:53 AM  Show Profile Send ottergrrl a Private Message
Not only do i carry all sortsa yarns in different colorways around with me; I have been known to make various squealing noises upon discovering a great yarn for the first time. forturnately linda the owner of my only, fave LYS is very, very patient with me. She has been known to talk me down from buying way too much of something really way too expensive for the project i intended to use it for.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?