Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Switching to Continental
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beadsnyarn
Chatty Knitter

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  9:30:35 PM  Show Profile Send beadsnyarn a Private Message
It seems there's been a lot of talk lately about switching to continental to do fair isle. I'm doing just that too...but...I have another problem! I taught myself to knit and since I'm left handed, I've always knit left handed. Soooo...after reading many posts about how left handed knitters should try continental, and then seeing how it's easier to do fair isle knitting continental, I decided to give it a try! But...in order to do the two handed method of fair isle, I also have to learn to knit English style with my right hand! It all feels soooo awkward. I am very left handed so holding a needle in my right hand is so clumsy. Trying to learn TWO new methods has been a trying task.

The continental knitting is getting a little easier though, so I think I'll be okay. I've got a BIG box of merino style from Knitpicks all ready for my fair isle sweater ("Erin" from Hot Knits). I can't wait to start it, but I don't want my gauge to be all funky so I'm waiting until I'm a little more comfortable with it.

I posted just to get it all out. I love my husband to pieces, but when I start talking about knitting in too much detail his eyes glaze over. It's nice to have a place where people can understand you!

Tell me it gets easier and my right hand can be trained to do this?

Beverly

KristiMetz
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  9:41:09 PM  Show Profile Send KristiMetz a Private Message
Hi there! I'm new to this board and am going through something similar. I have only been knitting since this summer, but I always used my left hand to throw the yarn. Now I'm trying to switch to regular continental, where you pick the yarn instead of throwing it.

I guess the only tip I have is, in order to get this down, I started knitting a square for "Warm Up America"... I figure it won't matter if my tension isn't even it will at least keep someone warm. :) It seemed like a good way to practice, and hopefully by the end of the square my hands will have learned the motion.

I think your hands just have to memorize the motions and since you're not used to using your right hand this way, it might take longer but if you stick with it, you can do it! :)

Good luck and at least you're not alone... lol.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe