Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Wierd Knitting Supersti(ch)ions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bellaknit
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  4:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit bellaknit's Homepage Send bellaknit a Private Message
Ok, anyone have any wierd superstitions about their knitting like not knitting for a baby until its born or always casting off a certain way?

bellaknit
Inch by Inch, Knitting is a Cinch!
www.knitandspin.com
www.bellawebdesign.com

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  4:39:10 PM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
I did buy a bunch of yarn to knit a prayer shawl for someone who died very suddenly and unexpectedly before it was done. Initially, I was going to finish the project and give it to a surviving family member, but I ended up giving them another knitted item.

To this day, I am completely paranoid about using this yarn for anyone else, even though there is a ton of it, I like it, and it is perfect for nieces, nephews and elderly people I know. I guess I think these are vunerable people, so they should get yarn that does not have a death attached to it.

Also, I am big on only doing happy frame of mind knitting for any baby not yet born.
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  5:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
If I remember correctly (and sometimes I suffer from CRS) there was a lengthy thread on this a little while ago. Lot's of great superstitions.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  5:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
There's actually a sound basis for the Jewish tradition of not knitting/preparing material goods for a baby before it's born - the family doesn't have to go through the agony of divesting of the items if tragedy occurs. And when the tradition started, infant mortality was almost the norm, not the exception.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  6:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
Besides the infamous love sweater superstition I've heard of never stabbing your needles through your yarn ball/skein because it is like stabbing the person the piece is intended for. I have also heard that if you knit a single strand of hair into a gift it binds the recipient to you for life.

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco
Go to Top of Page

mom4GJ
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  9:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit mom4GJ's Homepage Send mom4GJ a Private Message
Emelia said, "I have also heard that if you knit a single strand of hair into a gift it binds the recipient to you for life."

If this is true, then all of my gift recipient will love my dog forever. And the thing about stabbing the ball of yarn is just scary -- I always stab my yarn.

Kim in WV
http://mom4gj.blogspot.com

By laughing, you do not use up your laughter, but increase your store of it. (Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz)
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  10:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
There are some really interesting knitting superstitions here. However, I have knit in the wings of a theater and had no problems.

I don't smoke, I knit. It relieves stress and tension, smells better, I don't have to go outside to do it, and it won't give me cancer.
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Kadidly - This one isn't a superstition - it's a fact of life!
"The ease of the knitting reflects the personality of the recipient. The more troublesome and picky the recepient, the more difficulties there will be in knitting."

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  09:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
I should not be reading these... I try so hard not to be but I am very superstitious!

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe