Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Help with LYS name
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mbodven13@yahoo.com

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  4:43:55 PM  Show Profile Send mbodven13@yahoo.com a Private Message
Greetings!
I need some creative help. I have narrowed my new shop's name down to The Yarn Nest or The Wool Mitten.
Anyone have a preference or something even better?
TIA
Mindy

Mom 2-4
Chatty Knitter

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile Send Mom 2-4 a Private Message
Just my 2 cents worth-
The yarn nest makes me picture the nest that birds make from scrap yarn left out side by children -
The wool mitten -makes me think that knitting is just for winter time-

How about something with lamb or ewe

Wool for Ewe
Black Sheep, Black Sheep

Connie
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  6:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
I think I would leave off the word "The" since some phone books and organizations you might join would alphabetize it under "The Yarn Nest", where others would do it "Yarn Nest, The" so it gets confusing where to look for you in the book or on the list. Yarn Nest or Wool Mitten says it without need for "the".
Go to Top of Page

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  7:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message
I agree that the wool mitten makes it sound as if knitting is only for winter. Also just my 2 cents.
I do like The Yarn Nest, espeically if you want it to be a place where people can come and hang out and knit. I think you could leave off "The" and just go with Yarn Nest.

-Erin

I wear fur - My cats leave it all over my clothes for me to wear.
http://musicknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pixiepurls
Gabber Extraordinaire

373 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  9:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit pixiepurls's Homepage Send pixiepurls a Private Message
Yarn Nest is cute!! I like it :)

http://www.pixiepurls.com
Go to Top of Page

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  9:49:59 PM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message
I like Yarn Nest.

It sounds like a place where I could browse for ages... Not sure why :)

--
Check out what I'm up to at my blog - HookStars
Go to Top of Page

saashka
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit saashka's Homepage  Send saashka a Yahoo! Message Send saashka a Private Message
I vote for Yarn Nest.

http://saashka.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carollovesyarn
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  01:07:50 AM  Show Profile Send carollovesyarn a Private Message
Yarn Nest!

Carol
Go to Top of Page

calicokitty6
Seriously Hooked

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  04:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit calicokitty6's Homepage Send calicokitty6 a Private Message
Another vote for Yarn Nest here.

=^..^= Debbie http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  06:39:58 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
also a quick yarnnest whois search shows that domain name available. Even if you aren't selling online, you could have a website with hours, directions, yarnlines you carry, class schedules, etc. Go grab the domain name if you're going with that name...

~KKnitter's Blog
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  08:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
Another vote for The Yarn Nest, I think it needs the "the". It sounds kind of like a local pub/hangout place where people could hang out and knit and chat as well as buy yarn, which I assume is what you want. I like The Wool Mitten, too, but Yarn Nest is just so cute!

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco
Go to Top of Page

CrazyforEwe
Chatty Knitter

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  8:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit CrazyforEwe's Homepage Send CrazyforEwe a Private Message
Hi there! I have a LYS, and I put lots of thought into the name, much as you are doing. However, every single customer refers to my store as "the yarn shop"! So, in retrospect, I shoulp probably have named it just that!

Good luck with your endeavors.

Ellen

A bad day at the yarn shop is better than a great day at the office!
www.crazyforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I also vote for The Yarn Nest. To me it sounds cozy. It makes me think of someplace where I could nestle down, get comfy, and knit happily for hours. Just out of curiosity (okay, and desperation, as the town I am moving to in the next couple months has one LYS and I don't like it much), you're not going to be in California, are you?

I don't smoke, I knit. It relieves stress and tension, smells better, I don't have to go outside to do it, and it won't give me cancer.
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

firymist
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:13:46 PM  Show Profile Send firymist a Private Message
Another vote for Yarn Nest, with or without the "The".
firymsit
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:44:30 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
I vote for Yarn Nest as well. I can think of great graphics to go with it too.
Go to Top of Page

mcmircle
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:03:37 PM  Show Profile Send mcmircle a Private Message
the Yarn Nest is OK. In the Chicago area there are "have ewe any wool?" and "3 bags full". There has been more than one "common thread".

How about "just for ewe"?

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

mcmircle
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:04:46 PM  Show Profile Send mcmircle a Private Message
or "it's all about ewe"?

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:31:13 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
The ewe names are cute, but I really believe that it is better to be a little more obvious about what the store sells. Around here, we have Hilltop Yarn, Yarn Gallery, So Much Yarn, Hilltop Yarn East, Weaving Works, Acorn Street Yarn, and several others, all with Yarn or something yarn related in the name. Of course a ewe is yarn related, but it's not quite as obvious. Just my opinion of course, and you know what they say about opinions:)
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  08:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
I like the Yarn Nest too.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

LuvYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  08:35:02 AM  Show Profile Send LuvYarn a Private Message
Here's another vote for The Yarn Nest
Go to Top of Page

Paris2005
Chatty Knitter

280 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  10:23:19 PM  Show Profile Send Paris2005 a Private Message
I like Yarn Nest too...it's kind of a play on the word "earnest" which some of us certainly are about our knitting. I agree with having "yarn" somewhere in the name. This is especially important for phone/directory listings as it is useful/essential for visitors/knitters to your city who immediately look up yarn stores in the local phone book!

Best wishes for much success,
Ramona
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by