Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Cascade 220 Afghan - a washing nightmare?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  10:37:21 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I first thought that making a full-sized afghan with Cascade 220 would be perfect because I like the feel of the wool, its colors, and the way it looks knitted up. Also, it is relatively cheap. Now I'm wondering if I'm nuts not to do it in something like Encore or even an all-acrylic yarn like Canadiana, because of the awkwardness of safely washing the finished product. I have seven of 25 12" squares done, and need advice - should I forget the idea of making the entire Great American Afghan in wool and make large pillowcases instead with the squares? I'm getting cold feet at the thought of handwashing such a big thing. Am I just being a wimp about it?

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  11:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message
WOW -- won't you have to handwash in the bath tub? I'd probably end up sending it to the dry cleaners.

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipe.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com and www.the-knittery.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  11:12:49 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
True, but how often does one have to launder an afghan? Once a year, at the end of afghan season, maybe? If your budget allows for the dry cleaning, I think a Cascade 220 afghan would be wonderful.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  11:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Why not use Cascade 220 superwash?

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  11:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message
My cats think that my afgans are the perfect place to leave hair balls! Most of mine are machine washable. The all wool ones go to the cleaners.

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bags.com
www.heritagerecipe.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com and www.the-knittery.com
Go to Top of Page

SaintJay
Chatty Knitter

113 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  07:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit SaintJay's Homepage Send SaintJay a Private Message
I've been thinking about this very thing! I want to make an afghan for my home. I'm not fond of acrylic for various reasons and would prefer to make it out of wool.

I wonder if the delicate cycle of a front loading washing machine would wash it w/o felting?
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  07:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I wash woolens in the washer. Fill with hot/warm water and soap - DO NOT LET THE MACHINE AGITATE - I swish it around a bit and let it soak for 15 minutes or so. Drain. Fill with cool water (not letting it get on the woolen item) Drain and spin. The woolens are half dry because most of the water is spun out - they only take half a day to completely dry when laid flat.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

Aseneth
Chatty Knitter

158 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  08:28:22 AM  Show Profile Send Aseneth a Private Message
I wash mine just like Boogie! Yes, over time I get some pilling/fuzzing, but I hate taking things to the dry cleaner. And, since I spin it on the most vigorous spin cycle they are almost dry when the come out! I spread them on my largest bed with a sheet under them (I don't know why I do that, I just do!) and turn my ceiling fan on, shut the door to keep out the cats, and they are dry in a matter of hours. Don't hesitate to use wool, it is the warmest you can get. I have made them from Encore, but they fuzzed even more than the wool (and a lot quicker I might add. Don't get me wrong, I like Encore and use it for kids things, but love my wool for afghans.)

Anyone else making or had made an afghan from Barbara Walker's Learn to Knit Afghan book?

[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  09:10:37 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Thanks for your replies!
Felted-Bag and Anderknit, Clara says on her yarn washing page that dry-cleaning "can significantly damage natural fibers," so I want to avoid that. I already bought all the yarn, so I COULD not finish the afghan and make a couple of dozen felted bags or a sweater with it instead. BUT.......Amy and Aseneth, if you swear on a stack of Barbara Walker Treasuries that my afghan is treatable in the manner you describe, I might go ahead with it. Our washer does have a "handwash" cycle, which soaks and occasionally moves the clothes around, then spins. I could skip using even that little agitation, just to be safe.

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  09:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Yup, I swear on my knitting books I've not felted anything in that manner. That's similar to how I wash fleece right off the sheep (which is usually even easier to felt than yarn)

I think you could use the delicate cycle and cold water (maybe putting the afghan in a pillowcase so it won't snag on anything in the washer).

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  3:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
This is also how Green Mountain Spinnery washes ALL their yarns - it works! If you need the practice, grab an old wool sweater, measure it all over, wash it as posted above, and compare.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

spindyerella
Seriously Hooked

601 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  09:24:42 AM  Show Profile Send spindyerella a Private Message
I'm thinking of doing one in superwash. I just think wool would be so much nicer than acrylic or even acrylic blend.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  11:34:50 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
I wash woolens in the washing machine, too, but in COLD water, delicate cycle, gentle spin. I let it go the full cycle. Works fine. as long as the afghan's not too big to go in the washer, it should be fine.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe