Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 dog sweater
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

dogloverx2
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  4:06:15 PM  Show Profile Send dogloverx2 a Private Message
I want to make a dog sweater. I need suggestions on what kind of yarn to use. I would like something soft for a small dog, rather than something too outdoorsy.

I do need something that will wear well and is not too expensive.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

SweetKat
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  5:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit SweetKat's Homepage Send SweetKat a Private Message
I made one for my SIL's s**tzu with Cascade 220. It turned out real cute.
Go to Top of Page

dogloverx2
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  6:47:10 PM  Show Profile Send dogloverx2 a Private Message
Wow, it comes in a lot of colors! Thanks for the suggestion.

Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  08:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Don't forget to post a pic.......I love dog sweaters but have been forbidden by my hubby from making my pooch one.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  09:10:40 AM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I would choose some of the "dreaded" acrylic for a dog sweater. I have found that Red Heart softens after it has been washed and dryed with a dryer sheet. I loved my dog (when I had one) but would not spend the money for Cascade 220 for him. He was prone to roll in questionable things when let out. Therefore, the more washable the better.
Go to Top of Page

angelsmom
Chatty Knitter

206 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  09:40:58 AM  Show Profile Send angelsmom a Private Message
I made 3 dog sweaters...two from acrylic trimmed in fun fur around the neck, legs and back and then another from wool for my prissy girl who does not make a mess of her coat.
When I make another one, it will be with Dale of Norway Hauk...a teflon coated yarn that repels water. They used in a sweater found in one of my dog sweater books.
Mary
Go to Top of Page

mrssuem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
457 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  09:52:36 AM  Show Profile Send mrssuem a Private Message
I offered to make a sweater for my daughter's dog, he's a Golden Retriever and shouldn't need one, but she keeps him shaved (and he looks like a greyhound when he is first done). Why is beyond me because his coat is not too bad at all, unlike his big hairy brother that I have. Oops go carried away. She just kind of looked at me funny when I suggested it, but I think I will any way. I do have a couple of patterns and will probably just surprise her with it. Sue
Go to Top of Page

firymist
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile Send firymist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by angelsmom

When I make another one, it will be with Dale of Norway Hauk...a teflon coated yarn that repels water. They used in a sweater found in one of my dog sweater books.
Mary

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. I've been very intrigued with this yarn, especially for a dog sweater. My spoiled dog has three Noro sweaters, one from silk garden, but he loves his sweaters. He also has about four others, all handknit.

firymist[blush]
Go to Top of Page

dogloverx2
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  12:07:41 PM  Show Profile Send dogloverx2 a Private Message
Thanks everyone.

Will the natural fibers smell when they get wet? Also, I've been reading about Kool-Aid dyeing. Would the teflon on the Dale of Norway Hauk prevent the dye from being soaked up?

Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  5:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I like using Cleckheaton's Country 8 Ply for kids' sweaters and hats, or, if I were inclined to knit for the dog, for his sweaters too. Washable wool, very soft, DK weight. It's a Plymouth yarn and pretty widely available. I would DEFINITELY use something machine washable for the dog.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

rogueknitter
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:25:17 PM  Show Profile Send rogueknitter a Private Message
Wool/nylon blend sock yarns make warm, durable, and machine washable handknits for dogs. I use double stranded solid colors to do textured, fairly quick-to-knit sweaters (size 6 or 7 needles). The self striping sock yarns would also make cute dog sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

eae1969@yahoo.com

USA
Posted - 01/03/2006 :  12:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send eae1969@yahoo.com a Private Message
I just made the "Spoilt Rotten" sweater for my aunt's Pekinese for Christmas, along with a little hat. http://www.patonsyarns.com/patternbook.php?PBS=500939 I used Lion Brand Wool Ease worsted--2 skeins of navy, and 1 skein of light gray. It turned out really cute, and only cost me about $6 to make (the yarn was on sale for $1.77/skein at Joann just before Christmas).

Happy Knitting!
Ericka
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  12:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
I have two Bichon Frishes and made them both a cable "aran" sweater which was modeled by a Westie in an old Family Circle Easy Knitting. I used a wool/acrylic Darlaine yarn which is no longer produced but is similar to Wool Ease. They have held up very well. (I think I made them about 5-6 years ago.) I just throw them in the washer and dryer and they come out well.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe