Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Just Getting Started - Beginning to Spin
 Evaluation please
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  09:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
OK (deep breath). I just posted pictures of my first plied yarn on my blog.
Considering I have been spinning since November, I suppose it is OK. It certainly is usable, and I want to make myself a hat from it. I DO see where variations in the widths of the singles came together. I also spent a lot of time evaluating every 5 inches or so for a balanced yarn, and you can see from the picture that the skein is not twisting, so maybe that went OK.
I would LOVE some feedback on things to watch for next time. Thanks!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/

firymist
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  11:45:17 AM  Show Profile Send firymist a Private Message
I love the colorway and it actually is not too thick and thin. Evenness comes with time and then you will eventually want a nice thick and thin yarn and it will be tremendously difficult. Treasure your yarn. It's beautiful.
firymist
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  12:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Knit up a swatch - I'll bet it'll be scrumptious.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Destiny
Warming Up

69 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  1:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Destiny's Homepage  Send Destiny a Yahoo! Message Send Destiny a Private Message
I love your yarn it is soo pretty. I am also fairly new to spinning your skien seems very large what type of wheel do you use I have an ashland and I can only make very little skiens.
Go to Top of Page

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  3:30:17 PM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message
That yarn is gorgeous!

I've just learned to spin too, and I think that's a top effort :)

--
Check out what I'm up to at my blog - HookStars
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  4:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Your yarn is really lovely! I am certain you will be pleased with it when you knit it up. Plying, then knitting, helps to even out any uneven tendencies that anyone's handspun has. With practice you will get more and more even but you yarn at the moment is fine.

Yes, some people do get rather obsessive about wanting their handspun to be perfectly even but, IMO, if it is even yarn you want to work with then buy machine spun yarn! Enjoy the journey spinning will take you on - every bump and every turn on the way!

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

caitlynknits
Chatty Knitter

275 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  4:43:22 PM  Show Profile Send caitlynknits a Private Message
It looks really pretty!

http://www.knotwithoutmyknitting.com
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  7:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Thanks everyone. Once I got some emotional distance from that close up photo, I am back to loving it. I remind myself that I don't want my sweaters looking machine knit either! As for the size of the skein, my spinning wheel has HUGE bobbins, which is just great! I have a Columbine, which you can see at http://www.ncidata.com/~columbine/. In design I suppose it is a lot like the Ashford Country Spinner. The friend who sold it to me told me she really misses those large bobbins for plying, and I think, if I had anything else, I would already have a Woollee Winder. I was careful to remember to switch bobbins half way through the fiber I had (a half pound of combed top), so those bobbins were only about half full. The skein you see in the picture was held by just one bobbin for plying. I have been working on my spindling too, and am at a bit of a loss at getting these little bitty amounts of yarn wound around a toilet paper roll! Not sure how to handle a lot of that.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  9:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Rob, you did wonderful work! Your skein is hanging nice & straight, so you've got it balanced. The colors are lovely, too. That is yarn to be proud of! It looks like you've got a lot of it, too; I bet you could get a hat & scarf out of it.

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by