Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Sub for Naturally Merino and Fur
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  06:54:28 AM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
I'd like to find a worsted or aran wt yarn that I could use instead of the recommended Naturally Merino and Fur . I haven't been able to find much info about the yarn on the internet, but I think that it knits closer to aran wt. The yarn is referenced in Wrap Style for a few projects. I'd like to make the Lace Cardi Capelet as a gift for my niece. I think that since it is for someone young (14 yrs) I want to stay away from a luxury yarn.

Thanks for your help,
Carrie

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  1:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message
I have never heard of this yarn before, but did a google search and came up with this site:
http://www.wool.ca/english/docs/0/1342/1386/1389.asp
30% possum fur! I have never heard of yarn with possum fur before. How does one obtain this fur?
I have no idea how close this would be, but could you find something with 70% wool and 30% alpaca? Unfortunatly, I can not think of anything off the top of my head to suggest.
Don't know if this helps at all. I'm mainly just curious about the possum fur...
-Erin

I wear fur - My cats leave it all over my clothes for me to wear.
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  2:13:12 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
The idea of possum fur is a real turn-off for me. I'd rather not think about how the possum fur is obtained but I have a pretty good idea! I heard that possum are a real scourge in NZ, which,I think, is where this yarn originates. I know that I would have a hard time using it. Hopefully this thread won't open up any unhappy fiber discussions.

Thanks for the link, I tried it for gauge comparison. The Nat. Merino Fur is 20st. on size 4mm to 5mm needles. I'm not great at remebering my conversions, but I think that's about a 6 to 8 US. Someone please correct me if that's off.

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  4:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Naturally Merino & Fur is a very soft 10ply/aran weight yarn. If you can get an aran weight alpaca that would be a reasonable substitute.

BTW Carrie I think you are correct with your needle conversion.

Possums are a pest in NZ - they were imported from Aus and have no natural predators in NZ. As Carrie said if you want to use animal friendly yarns do not use this one.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  6:17:05 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
Thanks for the help Wen. I'll look around for an aran wt. alpaca. My only concern, will alpaca hold its shape as a lace capelet? I'm thinking about using it to make the Lace Cardi Capelet in Wrap Style.

Carrie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?