Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Patons Twister
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  7:07:01 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
YUCK! I'm taking apart a garter stitch scarf that used 4 balls. It worked up fine...and it's coming apart ok. The problem? A yarn like "Boa" is twisted with a chenille yarn. The problem is one yarn is over-twisted around the other yarn, making one strand much longer than the other strand. With a size 15 needle, it made a nice long scarf, but over time, the chenille yarn worked it's way out of the twist and left long loops all over the scarf (a typical problem with chenille).

The scarf quickly turned into a loopy mess, so I'm taking it apart, and undoing the twist so I can do it again MINUS the over-twist problem with the balls.
GRRRRR!

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  7:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I had the same thing happen. But it didn't happen right away. At first everything was great. I gave one scarf to a little girl then I noticed that the other scard did that. Her dad told me how everyone was admiring her's and I was really embarassed after I saw how they did later. Good idea to untwist. I just poked the other scarf in a box!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  7:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Yup. It does that.

But I made some FABULOUS crocheted flip-flops with it. Get Tons of compliments, and the extra twist from crocheting helps things.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

firymist
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  11:16:50 AM  Show Profile Send firymist a Private Message
So, like many chenilles it may be better crocheted?
firymist
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  1:06:18 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
Crocheted stitches are usually hard to pull out, so I'd assume chenille would be less loopy when crocheted. I just started reknitting my scarf, and now that the yarns are untwisted from each other, when I pull JUST a chenille stitch, I can stretch the scarf and it goes right back into place. The chenille strands were a good 3' longer than the eyelash it was twisted with! No wonder it got so loopy.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe