Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 Okay, I can't figure this out, I tried: Handplagg
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
Does someone own Heidi Fossnes' Handplagg book besides myself? I have tried all manner of dictionaries/translations online, and I can't figure a couple of things out for sure:

1. How do I get the embroidery pattern printed in the book onto the wool mitten? Do I just freehand it? Is there an easier way?

2. How do I make the fringe listed on page 16 (I think)? Looks like a miniature, hand-held loom set up with 3 threads, the crewel wool, a cardboard template, and a dowel.

I've Googled. I've Dogpiled. I've gone to the bookstore for dictionaries (they didn't have a Norwegian/English dictionary).
Now, I'm getting frustrated. I knew the book was not in English, but I've wanted the book for months and finally ordered it and LOVE it. I want to just transfer the embroidery patterns to mittens I've already done, but can't figure out the best way to go about it.

Thanks for help in advance. It will be greatly appreciated.

Hyacint
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:18:32 AM  Show Profile Send Hyacint a Private Message
I haven't seen this book, but I do understand Norwegian. I could help you translate the directions if you'd like.

Lydia
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:43:41 AM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
Here's a link to the Nordic Fiber Arts description of the book, too, for what it is worth...

http://www.nordicfiberarts.com/books_handplagg.html
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  12:53:32 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
You can place a special cross stitch canvas called something like "breakaway" or "waste" canvas (sorry, got sometimers today)over the design and then trace the design on it. Place the canvas over the glove and do your embroidery. you can do any type of embroidery, you are not limited to cross stitch. When the embroidery is finished pull out the canvas strand by strand leaving the embroidery on the glove. The canvas is made to fall apart and do this. You can substitute any embroidery canvas but first make sure it tears apart easily. I have also embroidered over a paper pattern but then you will need several copies as the pattern shreds the more stitches you make but it is workable. I do use a tiny hoop but not to stretch the knit fabric, just to be sure I don't stretch it too much when I embroider. It gives me a guideline as to how much knit fabric fits in how large of a space.

For counted cross stitch, you can treat each stitch as a square and make a cross stitch in each one. If your knit stitches are larger than your cross stitches, use the waste canvas method.

If the embroidery is in duplicate stitch, you just treat your knitting like a canvas and make the stitches one by one matching the colors. One square on the design equals one stitch on the glove.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  12:59:10 PM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fmarrs

You can place a special cross stitch canvas called something like "breakaway" or "waste" canvas (sorry, got sometimers today)over the design and then trace the design on it. Place the canvas over the glove and do your embroidery. you can do any type of embroidery, you are not limited to cross stitch. When the embroidery is finished pull out the canvas strand by strand leaving the embroidery on the glove.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/

GASP. Really, Fran? Can I get this sort of thing from Hobby Lobby, Michael's or Joann's????
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe