Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 problems with Inox knitting mill
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

khughes
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  4:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit khughes's Homepage Send khughes a Private Message
Hello,

Has anyone else tried the Inox knitting mill, and do you have any tips? I'm finding it extremely difficult to get the yarn to go down the middle of the tube and create I-cord, instead of tangling up round the sides. The handle slips constantly, and the little flanges don't always open and shut as they should. I read the instructions carefully, and I did manage to get i-cord a couple of times, but not reliably. And it was *way* too difficult.

I'd be grateful for any suggetions from anyone who has more experience with the gadget.

tx,
k.

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  12:20:40 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Although the mill makes I cord much faster than we can knit it, it does not work well when used at any other speed than slow. Here are a few suggestions. Drop a long cord down when you start so you can grab it and place tension on the cord as it moves through the machine. Start achingly slowly and pick up speed very gradually. Smoothness is the key here. Here are a few hints.

>instead of tangling up round the sides.This is caused by the failure of only one of the latch hooks to fail to open. Then the yarn piles up but the cause is the failure of just one The handle slips constantly, This indicates working too fast or a jammed machineand the little flanges don't always open and shut as they should.<This is a little touchy. All I can do is relate my experience. First make sure that the latch hooks are clean. It doesn't take much to make them grab. I clean mine with an alcohol swab, then rub a little vaseline on the hinge and then wipe them until the vaseline is gone so it doesn't get on the yarn. Now run it a few times without yarn in it to distribute the vaseline. Thread it with a long cord so you can put a mild tension on it and as you slowly turn the handle watch so each latch hook opens and closes. If one doesn't, stop. I use a fine gauge crochet hook or my yarn needle to open and close the hooks that don't cooperate. If you don't go too fast and can stop before it passes the uncooperative hook, you can correct it and keep on going. Once you have made enough I cord to hold on to and put tension on, it gets easier because the tension helps the hooks to open and close. You still have to watch every one of them, but you can gradually pick up speed. Did yours come with clip on weights? They help, but I find that even more tension than they provide helps. I use the weights so there is no "snap back" when I release my tension on the cord.

Like most things, it takes longer to explain than it does to do it.
The whole key is to watch the opening and closing of the latch hooks, first to become acquainted as to how the machine works and then to be sure they are working. Remember, all of your problems were caused by one little latch hook, then the problem got larger and larger and larger.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  1:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message
What kind of yarn are you using? I don't have the Inox but I have something similar and they recommend not using anything heavier than sport weight.

Felicia in NYC

"This is mohair." "Mohair", he said and placed the furry ball on his head. "Mohair for me?" - from a very funny moment with my boyfriend in a LYS.
Go to Top of Page

khughes
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  6:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit khughes's Homepage Send khughes a Private Message
Many thanks for the detailed and helpful comments!

Fingering weight yarn worked okay (when I could get the machine to work), but the laceweight I wanted it for was too light.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe