Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 NYCO = New Year's Cast On
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

knitche
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  07:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitche's Homepage Send knitche a Private Message

Following the Holidays, after we've made things for just about 'everyone-else', New Year's Day is the time for us to cast-on a project for US, for OURSELVES!!

What's yours???

Mine is:

http://noreensknitche.com/home/index.php/2005/12/23/free_shawl_pattern

Noreen
aka The YarnWright

Knitting, Crocheting, Spinning, Tatting, BobbinLace and Designing are my NICHE in life!

http://noreensknitche.com/gathering

http://noreensknitche.com/cont_fans

http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  07:36:14 AM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message
That shawl is really pretty Noreen. What are you making it out of?

Joy
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
ooo...I haven't decided yet. I was thinking about getting back to a knitted halter that I started a while back, but now I have new yarn, and I want to make something drop dead gorgeous. Will have to search for THE PATTERN for a while, I think!

You know, my telepathy would work if I had something to READ!
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Corrina
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  12:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Corrina's Homepage  Send Corrina a Yahoo! Message Send Corrina a Private Message
I cast on last night for my Jaywalker socks (again). Here's hoping that the 27th time is the charm!
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  3:01:48 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I cast on for the flower petal shawl last week and it is knitting up beautifully; it's going to take me a while though because I am using alpaca and it is too hot to knit with it at the moment. [:((]

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2005 Stats: 2 WIPs, 27 FOs
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  4:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Uh oh, I cast on for a baby sweater gift last night. However, I finished the front in one sitting so I should be done before New Year's Day and then it's back to knitting for me. Oh, wait, I have to make another sweater for my dog......

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

elkymama
Seriously Hooked

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile Send elkymama a Private Message
I started a pair of socks for me a week before Christmas, then got sidetracked with a couple of Irish Hiking scarves and an illusion scarf. I want to finish the two hiking scarves within the next two weeks as they are parting gifts for the folks I worked for for the past 6 years. Then I want to make another pair of socks for my son who fell in love with the wool socks I knit him for Christmas.

After that, it's back to the socks for me. When I finish them, I'd like to make the HeartStrings Swirling Lace socks in pink cashmere.

"There's a thin line between hobby & mental illness."
Go to Top of Page

knitche
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  10:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitche's Homepage Send knitche a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by joym624

That shawl is really pretty Noreen. What are you making it out of?

Joy

Hi, Joy!
I'll be using Jamieson&Smith's cobweb for the offwhite one for my sister, the teal will be my handspun/handdyed, the rusty/wine something from my stash... I beleive its a KnitPicks yarn....
Noreen

Knitting, Crocheting, Spinning, Tatting, BobbinLace and Designing are my NICHE in life!

http://noreensknitche.com/gathering

http://noreensknitche.com/cont_fans

http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  12:02:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
I cast on my Wild Stuff for a poncho. After f-ing up my little hood for the baby and ripping it all the way back.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

NaNoWriMo 2005 username: KDCROWLEY
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:01:18 PM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
Last night I started Glimmer by Kim Hargreaves (from a kit I ordered from her website here:http://www.kimhargreaves.co.uk/acatalog/Glimmer.html

I want to start Ene's shawl too- need more than one thing on the needles at all times

Cindy
http://cpaknit.typepad.com/can_a_cpa_be_a_knitter_ca/
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  07:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I cast on a pair of socks for ME from some Regia - the 6-color, really bright primaries - on Christmas Day just to have something to keep my hands busy while visiting with the family. Just a simple K2P2 rib down the ankle and top of the foot - mindless knitting as a relief from the Christmas knitting marathon. I've already gone past the heel and almost to the toe decreases on the first sock! Hopefully I can finish the pair over the New Year's long weekend.

Then it will be on to swatching and planning for a lace Pi shawl knit along on the EZasPi list. I really want to make use of several of the Shetland lace patterns I've run across recently, and I'm ready for a winter challenge. The knit along starts January 22, but there's no way I'll wait until then to cast on. The alpaca/silk is already ordered (Knit Picks) and my pattern books were pulled from the shelf last night. I love planning a new project!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:43:27 AM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
Because I want them yesterday for this cold clime, I just started these fingerless mitts for myself using some pretty Manos del Uruguay.

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  12:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I started socks for me a while back. I am at the heel, so I had to put it aside for a while (they were my walking project, and I am not ready to walk and turn a heel). I will be working on those. I am going to make a lace scarf. I don't wear shawls, though I may start after I get accustomed to lace. The scarf is my practice. I am thinking of making the lace tam from Gathering of Lace with the same yarn. Should make a very pretty combination.
I still have stuff for others I will be finishing. I have my son's mittens (won't take long. Just gotta get past my fear of the thumb), my husband's Linux scarf (will take quite a while, I think, but that is ok. It is a fun project to knit, so as much for me as for him), and I have promised some felted slippers for my MIL. I love felting, and need a simple project for when my lace gets me flustered, so that is also kinda for me.
If I get past all these and get really ambitious, and probably a bit crazy, I would love to make an Aran sweater. I would have to be crazy because I live in the desert. I don't know when I would possibly get to wear it. Any suggestions on how to manage this?

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  12:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
I just cast on for a pair of fingerless mitts. One of the ladies in my knitting group gave me the pattern last night. I even used stash yarn and didn't have to buy anything! They are going to be black llama/wool blend with pale pink wool ribbing and I plan to live in them when they are done.

Brandy...go ahead and make that Aran sweater!! It will be a great reason to take a ski trip vacation! Or maybe a winter cruise to Alaska...?

Jo

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
Go to Top of Page

woolwoman
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  1:25:58 PM  Show Profile Send woolwoman a Private Message
I am just setting up a gansey from Melanie Falicks book - I think it is Forest something - what attracted me was the fact that it called for Cascade 220 - Made a shawl out of 220 while I was in Texas in Sept on a rug hooking escapade and got stuck riding out Hurricane Rita. Fell in love with the 220 - great yarn for a great price. I am using one from the heather collection in a earthy rich green. Also on my wish list to start is a shawl out of Lorna's Lace Heaven that I picked up while in Texas. I have a stash of yarn from that trip that you would not believe. Forget the rug hooking it was a yarn addict's dream come true. Some of the BEST shops I have ever visited on that trip. HUMMM that reminds me I need to find that pattern and get it cast on!
Go to Top of Page

thatgirlnamedsuz
New Pal

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  10:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Send thatgirlnamedsuz a Yahoo! Message Send thatgirlnamedsuz a Private Message
After knitting 6 or 7 hats for various Christmas gifts in the past two weeks I've started a dark blue tote-bag type thing for myself. I COULD have used a couple of skeins of old Red Heart acrylic from my mom's stash that I found. Instead I went to the store and bought myself some $2 acrylic yarn instead. There is logic there, right?
Go to Top of Page

knittyref
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  4:24:35 PM  Show Profile Send knittyref a Private Message
I originally had planned on picking up my Spirit of the Southwest Shawl that I started before Xmas. But Christmas Day, I found myself looking for something simpler. So I am now working on the Fern Lace Wrap from the Little Box of Scarves in Misti Alpaca, color 7300 (pea green). After making 15 Xmas gifts, this scarf is all for me!

Di
www.knittyref.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  10:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
I'm going to make a pair of mittens from the Lorna's Laces yarn that my gift elf gave me. I'm also going to make myself a cardigan from a Knitting Pure and Simple pattern with my new Boye needlemaster set!

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  12:16:09 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blwinteler
. . .If I get past all these and get really ambitious, and probably a bit crazy, I would love to make an Aran sweater. I would have to be crazy because I live in the desert. I don't know when I would possibly get to wear it. Any suggestions on how to manage this?

How about a compromise with an Aran-type sweater made out of lighter yarn? I live in a moderate climate and get a lot of wear out of an Aran that I made out of sport yarn. I've made several traditional Arans as well but I've given most of them away since they're too warm to wear here.

Liz
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  04:46:11 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
Starting tomorrow, New Year's Eve, I'm casting on the Marsupial Tote from SnB Handbook. The bag will be made from Manos in the red variagated colorway. Expensive, I know, but I'm frogging a scarf so the yarn is already in my stash.
Go to Top of Page

Sadierose
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  07:55:27 AM  Show Profile Send Sadierose a Private Message
I'm starting the Lady Eleanor entrelac shawl; need to get this on the needles before January 6, so that I'll have something to knit while I'm stuck in various airports (this means learning entrelac before then!) There's also a fairly challenging triangular lace shawl in Scarf Style that I started casting on. Just the knitted cast-on alone has been a frustrating bear -- it's done with a double strand of yarn & is about four million stitches. I'm finding it really difficult so it keeps going back into the UFO pile. I think once I get it cast on it won't be so painful.

I'm playing around with some Victorian baby bootees (though in crochet, not knitting) and would like to finish those before the baby goes off to college ... !

Happy New Year, everyone.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.