Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Brittany Sock Needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zari
Chatty Knitter

133 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  6:40:42 PM  Show Profile Send Zari a Private Message
Okay, so recently I made my first pair of socks, using 5 brittany 2.5mm DPNs, and while turning the heel one of them snapped, it was really surprising. Anyway, I contacted the company, but as of yet haven't heard back (it's the holidays, I probably wouldn't have responded yet either XD). Anyway, so I got a set of the 2.0mm needles to bide me over until the replacement's sent, cast on for some Jaywalkers in Magic Stripes, and at the first sl2-k1-p2sso the tip of the needle snapped! Is this something a lot of other people have experienced with their needles, or some kind of fluke? Are the 2.0mm ones just not suited to more stressfull stitches? I hadn't thought I was knitting especially tight, I was getting between 7 and 8 stitches to the inch. Is it just bad luck?

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  7:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I had a needle snap the other day doing a sl2-k1-psso also. You have to sort of stretch out each stitch if the needle is resisting. Try not to put stress on the tip - get the needle in there. Breaking needles shouldn't happen every time you knit but it will happen every so often. I try to have a least 2 sets of each size dpn even if they are not the same brand or material so I can keep going.

Brittany will replace the needle for you. Meanwhile if the break is clean and slanted you can use Crazy Glue to put the needle together. If it gets gunky use a fine nail emery (the little pink square ones are good) to smooth it down. When you get the new needle from Brittany keep the repaired one for emergencies. If the break can't be fixed then take the bigger piece and run the broken end in an electric pencil sharpener and use it for a cable needle.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  9:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I had one of my Brittany's break shortly after getting them (my son decided to walk on my bed, and stepped on it) and they replaced it pretty quickly. It took a couple weeks to get it, but they do respond fast. And they sent me 2 replacements. Because of the great service, I bought more last October and one got broken the same day. I wrote them, and they sent out another. Again, about 2 weeks. And again, 2 needles. I wouldn't have bothered to get a replacement, as I had the extra from the first time, but these were longer so I wanted to have a matched replacement. They are really great. Oh, mine were US 2, or 2.75mm. I haven't had any break since.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  04:02:35 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Use metal needles? More difficult to snap them.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  09:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
My favorite sock needles are Brittany's. I've had them for 10 years. I've never had one snap, but my dog found them tasty!

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting
Ithaca S'n B Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lace Lunatic
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  11:42:47 AM  Show Profile Send Lace Lunatic a Private Message
I had a No 2 Brittany break, mentioned it to the owner of the LYS where I had purchased it, and she simply handed me a new one. I didn't have to deal with Brittany at all.

Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  06:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I've also contacted Brittany for replacement needles. They can be a little slow to respond to the initial email, but they sent three needles to replace one broken US1, so I had no complaints. I've recently switched to metal needles for 1s and smaller, though, because I want to be able to really crank down on the needles when necessary and not worry about breaking anything. I break the shorter wooden sock needles most frequently (I've broken three now) because they don't seem to have the right leverage for me.

Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  07:46:27 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
My experience with Brittany sock-sized DPNs was the same. I'm happier with Clovers.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

Corrina
Warming Up

72 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  08:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Corrina's Homepage  Send Corrina a Yahoo! Message Send Corrina a Private Message
My Brittany's kept breaking and breaking. Finally I gave up on them and moved to Crystal Palaces, which I like. But I use addi turbos and magic loop instead now. Break-proof and harder to lose!
Go to Top of Page

socknitter
Chatty Knitter

156 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  09:43:07 AM  Show Profile Send socknitter a Private Message
I love Brittany needles, but my 0s and 1s nearly all snapped during use, also. I asked for replacements one time (I wrote after the 2nd needle snapped in use) but after that I just asked DH to sand the long bits down for cable needles.

I now use Crystal Palace bamboos and haven't had one snap or bend. Clover & Plymouth bamboo warp and bend dreadfully when I use them, so I've stuck with Crystal Palace for the 0s and 1s. I use Brittany's or Pony Pearls for the larger sizes. (US2 & up that is.)

Lauri B.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8mnnp/

Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  09:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
I've snapped a few Brittany's as well - but my LYS always replaced for me.

I like the clovers (they're pretty flexible at the size 0) but my cats like them too....[:00] I was 3/4 of the way thru the second sock of a pair, when my kitties decided to nibble along on the end of my needles. gack! Good thing they're so darned cute (the kittens).

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  11:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I've used my short (5-inch) Brittany needles a lot this year making gloves and socks. I tend to use fine yarns, so my size 0, 1 and 2 needles get quite a work-out. I knit continental fashion, rather loosely, and have had no real problems with breakage. The few times I have snapped a Brittany (3 times in the last decade), I've contacted the company and they've sent a replacement quite quickly (within less than two weeks). I've also tried Pony Pearls, and like them, but find them a bit long for the gloves and smaller socks.

I tend to break the Crystal Palace bamboos, though. I'm presently using a set of size 1 dpns (my Brittanys are in another project) and had to go buy another set yesterday - two snapped within a day on simple ribbed socks! I don't have an answer...except that every knitter is different!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by