Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Is 600 yards enough?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erinplus3
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile Send Erinplus3 a Private Message
I wasn't planning on making anything for my Aunt, but she's been so helpful to my family lately and I was thinking about a last minute scarf for her. The problem is that I've never just "winged" it before without a pattern so I'm not sure if I have enough yarn.

I have a little over 600 yards of handpainted merino that I thought would make a nice scarf, but I wasn't sure how much yarn it would take, how many stitches to cast on, that sort of thing. Can anyone help me out with the specifics and tell me if this is doable? I was thinking about doubling it, otherwise I won't have a chance of finishing it in time.

I appreciate any responses, thanks!

SpinDiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

552 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  5:07:08 PM  Show Profile Send SpinDiva a Private Message
Seems like 600 yds should be more than enough for most scarfs... Most of the scarf patterns I am looking at take 2 skeins.. and most skeins are under 150 yds...

Andrea
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  08:31:28 AM  Show Profile
It might even be enough for a mini-shawl (if it's fingering weight) but, for sure it's enough for a scarf.
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  08:31:58 AM  Show Profile
(Hmmm, typing too fast and "gabbing too much....)
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2209 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  08:39:51 AM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
Weight of the yarn? Lace? How big a scarf are you thinking of?

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:30:22 AM  Show Profile
One pattern that works for many yarn weights is the stitch pattern used in Blue Sky Alpaca's Opera scarf pattern.
http://www.blueskyalpacas.com/freepatterns/operascarf.html

It goes very fast and really looks nice - a nice, simple, easy lace pattern. What yarn weight is your yarn?
Go to Top of Page

rather be knitting
Seriously Hooked

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  12:01:36 PM  Show Profile Send rather be knitting a Private Message
Agree with knittinaway that the stitch pattern can be used with lots of different yarn. But be warned -- it will only look ike the picture if you use a light weight yarn and size needles as specified in the pattern. I've also done it in sport and DK weigh yarns. The stitch makes a nice "ribby" fabric (that i usually block lightly). If you are thinking of doing this pattern (and it does go quickly!), you might want to check out some of the recent threads on the Opera Scarf for some ideas on what yarn and how many stitches some people are using.
Happy holiday knitting!
claire
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  1:28:03 PM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
I've made the opera scarf out of a worsted weight yarn (Classic Elite Inca Alpaca in moss green) and a lace weight yarn (Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud in Iris-a purplish color). Both can be seen on my webshots page--link is in my signature below. It's a great pattern, easy to do, and comes out lovely whichever type of yarn you choose. I would recommend swatching first with different needle sizes until you achieve the effect you like.

*~*Lori*~*

My finished projects: http://community.webshots.com/album/308469463umpbHG

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe