Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Best yarns and fibers for felting
 fun fur
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

bartlett
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  05:05:38 AM  Show Profile Send bartlett a Private Message
it seem that every time i felt using a stand of wool and one one fun fur held together that part of the bag just doesn't felt as well as the rest the stitches are still visible and it is kind of mushy the plain part felts nicely thanks for any suggestions laura

wabi sabi

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  07:34:30 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I've never used it for felted bags before, but I guess I'd add the fun fur after felting.
Go to Top of Page

bartlett
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  08:54:19 AM  Show Profile Send bartlett a Private Message
i thought of that but how would you do it

wabi sabi
Go to Top of Page

JayhawkKnitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  09:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit JayhawkKnitter's Homepage Send JayhawkKnitter a Private Message
I've felted some with a fun fur carry along and have had good success. You do need to make sure that you're knitting at a loose enough gauge so that the section with the fun fur can mat down easily.

Check out my blog!

http://www.knittinhoney.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

bartlett
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  10:24:47 AM  Show Profile Send bartlett a Private Message
i kind of thought it might be too tight ill try a bigger needle thanks

wabi sabi
Go to Top of Page

Felted-Bag
Seriously Hooked

640 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  1:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Felted-Bag's Homepage Send Felted-Bag a Private Message
I have used Fun Fur and Crystal Palace's Fizz and I like the Fizz better. But I haven't had trouble with either. I try to pull as much of the fizzy stuff through as possible so it won't be matted into the stitches (a thin letter opener works well for this).

Felted-Bag
www.felted-bag.com
www.heritagerecipe.com
webmaster: www.glasspens.com and www.the-knittery.com
Go to Top of Page

beejayeles
Chatty Knitter

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  07:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit beejayeles's Homepage Send beejayeles a Private Message
i've had great luck with the fun fur or any of those fuzzy furry novelty yarns. i do make sure to purl the fun fur rows....seems to pull more of the fur to the front of the work and you can't tell knit from purl after felting. also...i cut the fur out from the inside of the bag after felting to give the inside a smoother finish.

good luck
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1752 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I've used fun fur for felting too and have never had a problem with it not felting at the same rate as the rest of the item - until yesterday. I felted mittens with a few rows of fun fur around the cuff and that area definitely did not felt at the same rate. This is the first time I've used Paton's merino for felting, usually use my hand-spun, or other brands like galway or aracuania (sp?). I was surprised at the outcome, though the mittens are certainly useable. The other pair I felted at the same time, from my handspun, no fun fur, the cuff felted just fine. I wonder if it was my knitting or the yarn.

I too try to bring as much of the furry stuff to the front as possible, and thanks for the tip on purling these rows.

See My Stuff: Here

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?