Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Knitpicks Andean Silk
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KristaVA
Warming Up

56 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  6:02:34 PM  Show Profile Send KristaVA a Private Message
Anyone use the Andean Silk from Knitpicks? The review didn't sound too favorable, but I want to make the "Hourglass Sweater" with it from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. It seemed like a great yarn to use. Thanks, Krista

MoonKnitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  6:22:47 PM  Show Profile Send MoonKnitter a Private Message
I've used the Andean Silk on two sweaters -- a sweater for my mom and a shrug for my daughter. Neither of these have been worn yet, so I can't say how it holds up, but both sweaters are VERY soft and have the prettiest sheen to them. I used this in place of DB Alpaca Silk and it worked very nicely. I did not find any of the little "flecks of noil" that Clara refers to -- perhaps they ironed out this kink. I would highly recommend. For the price, it makes a very soft, drapey garment. (I have a color card if you need some color advice.)Hope this helps.
Kelli
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  9:06:14 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
I used it to make Tempting from knitty. It is beautiful, and soft on the skein. However, I have one caveat: I may just be sensitive, but I would choose a different yarn for that particular sweater. It is sort of a next-to-the skin wear, at least on your arms, and I frankly thought it was a bit itchy and uncomfortable for n-t-s wear. Again, YMMV-- I am, as I said, a bit sensitive.
Go to Top of Page

GJohnson39
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:10:27 AM  Show Profile Send GJohnson39 a Private Message
I designed and knit a hooded pullover outer sweater using Andean Silk in Bluebell and Cream. It is VERY warm and windproof, so I am wondering if the yarn wouldn't just be too heavy for next to skin, indoor wear. I wear this sweater to walk the dog in the park and to garden in the fall.
Go to Top of Page

KristaVA
Warming Up

56 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  4:23:03 PM  Show Profile Send KristaVA a Private Message
Thank you everyone for your advice. I think I may just buy a ball of it first and try it out. Krista
Go to Top of Page

desi_knitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  9:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit desi_knitter's Homepage Send desi_knitter a Private Message
I have been knitting with Andean Silk for the past week or so, and cannot stop raving about it. I am trying to make a balaclava cap with it, and about the only good thing about this project is the yarn. It is wonderful to work with and holds up very very well even after numerous frogging sessions - ask me how I know! Only one knot in two skeins, and no flecks, hardly any loose fibres, even. It has excellent stitch definition and it's very soft. I am using the colour "barn red" and it's luminous, the shade. You can see some photos of the ongoing project on my blog, linked below. I am definitely ordering more for a sweater next time.

Visit my new blog:
http://desiknitter.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  05:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I've been using Andean Silk for making gloves and hats and mittens for the holidays. I also used it for a baby cap and booties. All the finished projects are soft, with lovely stitch definition and that beautiful silk sheen. It's lovely to knit, too - feels great as it slips through your fingers and onto the needles!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by