Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Just Getting Started - Beginning to Spin
 No one does THAT anymore....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:42:34 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday to look for a book on spinning. When I didn't see any on the shelves, I went to the info desk and asked. The guy behind the counter said, "Oh, that's a lost art...no one does THAT anymore." They had nothing on the subject in the store although I know they have some on line.

Just thought you might like to know that you're a very special group!

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:26:39 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Whoever said that doesn't get around very much! Heck, Fiber Factory in Mesa has spinning wheels in their front window display...or did, anyway! They also have lots of books on spinning...

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
I had a friend who spun before I got so bitten by the fiber bug. I thought it was interesting...but thought she was a bit strange too...(hanging head in shame). Now I knit, weave, and spin and don't think it's a bit strange!

~KKnitter's Blog
Go to Top of Page

firymist
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:58:43 AM  Show Profile Send firymist a Private Message
Oh, how the mighty have fallen! LOL
firymist
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  11:03:45 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Judging by the reactions I get when I have the wheel out and about, the general public here think spinning is a dying art too. They all know what it is, of course, but have never seen it done...or rarely. I took my Louet to a Christmas Stitch `n beach at my local Ikea a few weeks back and the reaction was astounding. I could have sold tickets, trust me! I didn`t get much spinning done, but I talked myself hoarse.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  11:17:59 AM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
Oh my gosh! I feel like a celebrity. I guess I'll just have to tell all those annoying mailers that I actually don't exist. I wonder if this means I can go through walls?
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  12:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
LOL! Where is your local B & N? Perhaps we should stage a "Spin In" just to prove him wrong . . . and perhaps convince them to start stocking spinning books ;)

Now wouldn't that be fun?

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com
http://martheme.blogspot.com/ & the baby blog http://mimmot.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Oh Martheme, that would be such fun! I would love to do something like that :)

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  2:46:40 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
That would be fun! And I'm in Arizona so it could even be staged outside :)
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  5:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I've often had people tell their child when they see me spinning, "That's how people *used to* make yarn." I always say, "What do you mean, used to? See--I'm doing it NOW." Although the parent sometimes gets a little flustered, most of the time the child takes that as an invitation to get closer and ask questions.

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  5:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
alot of my friends spin...... they are farmers and they spin the fiber from their animals.
so around here it is pretty common

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  5:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Well, AZ isn't far from Vegas. We can certainly do the spin in (or out!). I would find some way there.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  7:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Oh... B&N is so horrible anyway (if I HAVE to go to a big superstore, I choose Borders, B&N consistantly has given me lousy service)

Borders, btw, has spinning books on their shelves..... I guess it's a history lesson since no one does that anymore....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  05:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
AMIE, you are RIGHT
and we are all prehistoric

hahahaha
vi
not awake yet
no fire in the stove yet
no coffee in the stomach
no brain in the head

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  07:04:22 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I'll have to visit Borders then. The wheel and fiber should be here later this week and I have to have some kind of instructions.
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  08:24:33 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Yes, Fiber Factory in Mesa does have spinning wheels in their window. I would have enlightened him! [**]

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes

Trina in AZ
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2396 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  1:35:44 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I tried, Trina, but he wasn't interested - nor was the lady standing behind the counter with him. After I had walked away (but only to the next table of books) I overhead them talking about the "lost art" and possibly my reaction to his comment. I should have waved the copy of "Spinning" (magazine -not sure that's the title, though) I had in my hand -- or better yet, hit him over the head with it.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  2:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by azblueskies

I tried, I should have waved the copy of "Spinning" (magazine -not sure that's the title, though) I had in my hand -- or better yet, hit him over the head with it.

much as I think he deserves it.....
honey did you have enough bail money on you????

that always stops me
I never have bail money

so I can't get arrested for killing a moron

(however if someone will help me hide the body.............)

vi

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  2:52:54 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Short of us all going to AZ (which I would love to do right now!), we could all bombard that B&N with emails asking for spinning books....

chris

quote:
Originally posted by Martheme

LOL! Where is your local B & N? Perhaps we should stage a "Spin In" just to prove him wrong . . . and perhaps convince them to start stocking spinning books ;)

Now wouldn't that be fun?

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com
http://martheme.blogspot.com/ & the baby blog http://mimmot.blogspot.com

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chris

Short of us all going to AZ (which I would love to do right now!), we could all bombard that B&N with emails asking for spinning books....
chris

[:00]...now that's a good idea!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Destiny
Warming Up

69 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  7:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Destiny's Homepage  Send Destiny a Yahoo! Message Send Destiny a Private Message
I too hang my head in shame. 4 months befor I started spinning I bought the book socks sock socks and in the book they make a refrince to spinning and i laughed at it

*goes sits in the corner in shame*
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.