Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Things we do Besides Knitting
 Recipe Swap
 ISO Polish Pepper cookie
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  07:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
DH remembers his uncle doing these at Xmas -- they called them (totally phoenically here ) FaFa New Hee --- believe me that is as close as I can get to what it sound like.

It definitely had pepper in it and wasn't too sweet as he remembers. The dough was rolled out like a snake and cut into little pieces and baked and it was white in color.

If there is anyone who has any ideas on this I would be the most grateful person alive - I have searched for this for 25 years.

rho

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  07:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I think he means pfeffernusse..

( which I adore btw, mmmmmmmm)

they are german pepper cookies...
little nuggest of amazing holiday goodness covered in powdered sugar.
I dunk them in coffee

vi

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pfeffernusse+pepper+cookie&spell=1

and stella dora makes the very bestest ones

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Sorry Vi, but my mother makes the bestest ones!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
ok jane.....then a box will be sent to vi's house
for test purposes of course

about three dozen is a fair test right????

vi

Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
actually it isn't pfeffernusse -- oh how I wish it were - I can make them they don't have powdered sugar or anything on them and they are just little bits of white dough (about the size of a fingernail) with pepper in them that are baked and somewhat between chewy and crunchy.

Thanks though - someday I will figure this out.

rho
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  11:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
hon, they are also called peppernuts
so google that?

cause there are a TON of recipes for pepper cookies

vi

Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
Well I have spent the last 2 hours going thru Google of peppernuts and Nope not there -- LOL I found some recipes I thought in the past were it - and tried but they weren't it ....
Of course MIL never made them it was her brothers job for some reason - and she has dementia now anyway -- but I was thinking if I could find it it would be a nice treat for her and for DH.

Oh well I will keep searching

thanks

rho
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
honey...it is never going to be exactly the same
my auntie ann made a bannana date nut bread to DIE for...
I have tried everything.....
but only SHE can make it that way....
and she died with the recipe..
sniff....

( and she was a really NICE aunt too....)

vi~still looking for THAT recipe....

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:20:22 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Did your mum's brother have any offspring or a spouse? I'd contact them for starters. Also check Martha Stewart - she has had quite a few Polish foods on her show.

Instead of searching for the name I would do my search something like "Polish pepper cookie" or "Poland recipe pepper"

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:33:11 PM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
http://www.kulinaria.pl/potrawy.asp?id=557

Free pattern maniac

http://purl-drops.blog-city.com

Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:36:13 PM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/413.asp

Free pattern maniac

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  4:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=151
try here
see what you find here

vi

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  8:41:41 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Rho, I checked my Polish cookbook, but no pepper cookies. The Polish Art Center (www.polartcenter.com) has a bunch of cookbooks...not much help as to what's in them, tho. It's frustrating when you can't find the recipes for the foods you remember from childhood! If you ever find it, let me know...I'd love to try some!

Since I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, I was unable to see if any of the ones on this site http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m092802.htm#3 were what you're looking for. This is an excellent resource for "lost" recipes! I'm very glad you asked this question, or I'd never have found it!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:10:45 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Remember that part of the world was very turbulent. What is now in Poland may have once been Russia, Ukraine, Germany. Depending on the part of Poland it could well have originally been a recipe from far away.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  10:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
Thanks everyone -- I found one recipe that I will try - they roll it out and cut with cookie cutters but I will try it the way DH remembers it. It seems to have the basic stuff in it without lots of extra stuff.

I found lots of great recipes on all the different sites everyone recommended - so an additional thanks for those

Mokey -- all of MIL's siblings are deceased now - so no one to ask - and MIL never made it as it was her brothers thing to do each year. Maybe it was something their father did and was passed down father to a son? Since the grandfather played the game with the kids.

If we try the one recipe out today I will let you know how it turns out and if DH thinks it is close.

rho
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  05:03:08 AM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mokey

Remember that part of the world was very turbulent. What is now in Poland may have once been Russia, Ukraine, Germany. Depending on the part of Poland it could well have originally been a recipe from far away.

I was just thinking last night exactly the SAME thing .
My mother is a Polish Catholic .She emigrated from poverty stricken , communist Poland the year before I was born to marry my dad who was in England.
( I was born in England & have never been to Poland as England is my home )
She was in Eastern Poland .She told me half of her village was catholic , half of it was Jewish .She also said they were only 10 miles from the Ukrainian border so amny Poles intermarried with Ukrainains at one point so many Ukranain & Russian recipes were in the area .
Also as her village was half Jewish a lot of their food deemed to be Polish was actually Jewish .
Also she said a lot of recipes thought Polish were actually German as part of Poland was actually German territory for a while ( I am talking of a place called Prussia which was INSIDE Poland ( surrounded by Poland on all sides but completley Germanised & under complete German rule .
So maybe your ''Polish '' recipe comes under -
German ,
Ukrainian
Russian
or Jewish
recipe books !

Just a thought !

Free pattern maniac

Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  06:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
Didn't get to it yesterday (fibro flaring big time) and today have to do some shopping for presents and Xmas Eve and Xmas day dinners. But here is the recipe I am going to try - it seems to be the plainest one....

GRAMA LOLLIS' CHRISTMAS BLACK PEPPER COOKIES

Ingredients :
1 c. butter (soft)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 egg (beaten)
2 tbsp. light corn syrup
1 tsp. each cloves, ginger, cinnamon
Black pepper

Preparation :
Cream butter, sugar with eggs and corn syrup. Sift flour with
spices and soda. Combine. Chill. Roll on floured surface. Cut
with fancy cutters. Bake until golden, 350 degrees, 5-10 minutes.
Ice if desired

But instead of cutting out into shapes I am going to try to chill it and roll it out like a thin snake and cut the pieces like DH remembers. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I mentioned to DH it may not taste like he remembers because our memory of things make them better than they were often when we try it again -- but I don't think he bought it.

rho
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:02:23 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Even if he didn't buy it, Rho, you are absolutely right about how time enhances our taste memories! Many of the things I loved as a child, I now dislike, mostly because they are too sweet.

Did your husband's family do the oplatek thing on Christmas eve?

chris

Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chris

Did your husband's family do the oplatek thing on Christmas eve?

chris

They still do it -- and it should be really interesting this year as BIL and nephew aren't talking to DH. Are all Polish families like this -- I come from a family where we yelled and screamed and jumped up and down and when that was done the arguement was done -- his family hold on to grudges forever [**] Makes me nuts.... Thank God DH isn't like that -- I keep saying that they got the wrong baby at the hospital

I can't wait till Monday

rho
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  4:50:24 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Well, my Dad's side of the family had the screaming yelling jumping up and down arguments, then didn't speak to each other for years afterwards. The arguments usually started at either a wedding, a funeral or a family reunion. To the day they died, some of his brothers and sisters weren't talking and hadn't for many, many years. So sad. I think some of it was the diffcult changes from the old country to the new (Dad was first generation American and spoke fluent Polish) and it was hard for everyone to adapt to new ways. Either that or our generation is just more mellow. We've not experienced any of those problems...so far anyway!

It's not just the Poles, though! Have you ever heard the song "The St. Stephen's Day Murders"? It's an Irish song (relatively new) about how everyone is so happy till St. Stephen's day, then they were all ready to murder each other. I figured St. Stephen's day was a couple days after Christmas, but it's not...it's the day after!

(hristinac, I wonder if Christine has Polish roots? I know about 5 Christines and they're all of Polish extraction!

chris

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  10:28:40 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rho1640

Are all Polish families like this -- I come from a family where we yelled and screamed and jumped up and down and when that was done the arguement was done -- his family hold on to grudges forever [**]

LMAO! I'm not Polish but am part of the great big lovable dysfunctional Slav family as my parents are Slovak. Every Slavic family I know is the same - yell, scream, curse, cry, throw things if you must, slam down the phone. Call tomorrow and everything is fine. My husband's family and most of the WASPs I know are the opposite - perfect manners, no raised voices, yet they can't forgive someone bringing the wring colour flowers to dinner 40 years ago!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.