Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Shawls, Scarves, Ponchos
 Hey Malabrigo lovers - pattern ideas?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I am looking for a couple of patterns for my mom. She's been knitting off and on for most of her life, but she'd never call herself a knitter. She picked it up again after a long hiatus a couple of years ago, and likes to do "simple but not boring." When I was a tiny tot in the mid 1960's she made complicated Mary Maxim colorwork coats for my dad, brother, and me, and she's done lots of different things, but she definitely is not invested in knitting - for her it's something useful to do while watching television. Since she took it up again, she's made lots of mittens, a felted bag, and a hat. Her current project is a purse from a Rowan kit that I gave her. She got stuck on the pattern and it took me a while to convince her that if she didn't like fussing with the complicated eyelet stitch insert, she could just do something simpler that she was comfortable with.

For Christmas, I have two skeins of worsted Malabrigo in a beautiful blue that I know she will love, but if I don't also have a pattern for her she probably won't go ahead and do anything with it, or she will worry about finding the right pattern, etc. etc.

I'm thinking scarf, given the amount of yarn that I have (or maybe scarf + hat) but I haven't seen the perfect pattern yet, after much surfing. I printed off the Steam scarf pattern that ChristinaC posted in this section - it might be just the right thing - but I'd love a couple of other ideas. I have not yet knit anything with Malabrigo, though I bought several skeins of it for myself. It's so beautiful and so soft...

Anyway - I'd love any suggestions you might have. Thanks!
Luann

Knit and let knit!

grammyknits
Chatty Knitter

108 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  4:56:30 PM  Show Profile Send grammyknits a Private Message
would the mistake rib fit your requirements? i have made several of them and love the look it gives. the pattern is very simple but interesting and with the beautiful blue yarn that you have, it will look just gorgeous! by the way what is that other pattern that you mentioned that christinc posted?
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  5:07:46 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
what's the mistake rib?
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  7:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
The Steam scarf thread is here:
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48137

It's a 2x2 rib with occasional cables.

I've seen pictures of a couple of mistake rib scarves on various blogs and I love the look, but I admit I don't actually know that stitch pattern. Do you have a favorite, Grammyknits? If not I'm sure one of my pattern books can set me on the path.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  7:51:16 PM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
I'm doing a simple purl ridge mobius scarf (actually wide enough for a shoulder wrap)with some Malabrigo and it's turning out wonderful.

~KKnitter's Blog
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  06:58:39 AM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
This one is on my list - I haven't done it yet, so I can't say whether it's well written or not. I think that variegated yarns look especially nice when worked on diagonals or in several directions. http://www.magknits.com/warm05/patterns/rib.htm
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
I'm making the "my so called scarf" with worsted Malabrigo on size 10.5 needles. And it is turning out great.
http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html

-Amber

Current Projects and what not:
http://yarnjunkie.blogspot.com/
Finished Projects:
http://yarnjunkie2.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  11:08:36 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
Amber! That So Called Scarf pic on your blog is so cute. I love the way that is working up.

~KKnitter's Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.57 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?