Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Yarn "retail" Therapy...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  11:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
My mom and I discovered the value of shopping after my grandpa died - there was no distraction on earth like the mall, and since then any time we drowned our sorrows about anything in shopping it has been known as "retail therapy" (don't know where we picked up the phrase, but it certainly fit).

Well, I have been super stressed out about work lately. The recently cut my staff in half to, well just me, right at the same time the workload is doubling. (literally. I run a newletter and magazine which is going weekly at the newyear) And Boy of Boy I have I rediscovered the joys of retail therapy via online yarn shops this week!

I just placed a not-so-small order at kpixie for

lornas laces, 3 x Shepherd Worsted

southwest trading co. 2 x Karaoke

southwest trading co 2 x Bamboo

And yesterday I ordered 5 skeins of another yarn...

and a few days before that I ordered 13 various skines from knitpicks...

and last weekend my darling boyfriend (who knew I was depressed) took me to a chic lys by his house and let me splurge where I bought 2 hanks of malbrigo and some rowan biggie print....

and none of this takes into account the dozen or so skiens I have picked up randomly while at joann's over the last week or so while doing last minute xmas shopping....

Houston, I think we have a problem.... perhaps I figure if I get myself into enough yarn debt I will be forced to not walk out on my job...[crazy]

hugs-
Samantha

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Samantha -- you are definitely not alone with this problem! In some ways, things get worse once you're used to online shopping because you don't *physically* realize how much yarn you're purchasing.

After reading several "stash management" techniques on KR, I think that the best way to prevent excessive shopping is to keep an accurate list of your stash. Mine is on Excel and I can see how much skeins I have for each category. Once the running total goes above a certain number or my baskets are overflowing, I know that I have to adjust so I post on the "stash reduction" thread / force myself to complete WIPs / give away stuff to charity.
Another thing that is helpful is: do not buy any yarn that is not at least N% on sale (set N>0) or set a monthly yarn budget.

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3466 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Samantha -- you are definitely not alone with this problem! In some ways, things get worse once you're used to online shopping because you don't *physically* realize how much yarn you're purchasing.

After reading several "stash management" techniques on KR, I think that the best way to prevent excessive shopping is to keep an accurate list of your stash. Mine is on Excel and I can see how much skeins I have for each category. Once the running total goes above a certain number or my baskets are overflowing, I know that I have to adjust so I post on the "stash reduction" thread / force myself to complete WIPs / give away stuff to charity.
Another thing that is helpful is: do not buy any yarn that is not at least N% on sale (set N>0) or set a monthly yarn budget.

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
And I just bought your book Minh! And two new magazines... But I think a stash inventory is a great idea. My BF is coming over this weekend, maybe I can convince him to help me with it.

When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
And I just bought your book Minh! And two new magazines... But I think a stash inventory is a great idea. My BF is coming over this weekend, maybe I can convince him to help me with it.

Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:57:00 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
I call it, "reverting to our primitive ancestors' hunting-gathering mode". Or sometimes I just say that I have to go look at something pretty. Whatever, sometimes you just gotta.

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:57:00 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
I call it, "reverting to our primitive ancestors' hunting-gathering mode". Or sometimes I just say that I have to go look at something pretty. Whatever, sometimes you just gotta.

"We all have our strengths and our weaknesses."
Go to Top of Page

imamamaof2
Chatty Knitter

178 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:47:36 PM  Show Profile Send imamamaof2 a Private Message
Retail therapy... there is definite value here. The stress of the approaching holidays and my husband's kidney stone had driven me right over the edge. So I took off today, drove myself to a cute little shop and shopped for me... all alone... by myself... with no one talking to me or calling my name. It was quite relaxing. I took time to enjoy all the colors and textures of the yarns in the shop. Bought a pattern for a felted bag and some wool to knit it up; and also a skein of really fluffy mohair- just because I liked it.
Yea me!
Go to Top of Page

imamamaof2
Chatty Knitter

178 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:47:36 PM  Show Profile Send imamamaof2 a Private Message
Retail therapy... there is definite value here. The stress of the approaching holidays and my husband's kidney stone had driven me right over the edge. So I took off today, drove myself to a cute little shop and shopped for me... all alone... by myself... with no one talking to me or calling my name. It was quite relaxing. I took time to enjoy all the colors and textures of the yarns in the shop. Bought a pattern for a felted bag and some wool to knit it up; and also a skein of really fluffy mohair- just because I liked it.
Yea me!
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Right on Mama! I am happy to see I am not alone! Us hunters and gatherers have to stick together right sallyjo?

Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Right on Mama! I am happy to see I am not alone! Us hunters and gatherers have to stick together right sallyjo?

Go to Top of Page

beh2g
Chatty Knitter

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  10:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit beh2g's Homepage Send beh2g a Private Message
ugh, I can really identify with this right now. I just graduated from college, but my job has not offered more hours (working at LYS), just because it's not the season. I love my job and don't want to change, but being at home 6 days a week is driving me insane. So, retail therapy it is... I've been driving to the LYS and knitting there and of course, shopping online because I've been knitting so much.

I think I finally may have found a solution though, I got a gym membership (to take yoga back up) and signed up for a spinning (as in wool) class at said LYS. I just need to get OUT more, but so often getting out means spending money... *sigh*

Bronwyn, who'd like more ideas of how to get outside without spending any/much money!
Go to Top of Page

beh2g
Chatty Knitter

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  10:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit beh2g's Homepage Send beh2g a Private Message
ugh, I can really identify with this right now. I just graduated from college, but my job has not offered more hours (working at LYS), just because it's not the season. I love my job and don't want to change, but being at home 6 days a week is driving me insane. So, retail therapy it is... I've been driving to the LYS and knitting there and of course, shopping online because I've been knitting so much.

I think I finally may have found a solution though, I got a gym membership (to take yoga back up) and signed up for a spinning (as in wool) class at said LYS. I just need to get OUT more, but so often getting out means spending money... *sigh*

Bronwyn, who'd like more ideas of how to get outside without spending any/much money!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe