Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Anny Blatt/ Buton D'or - where and is it worth it?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vitusya
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  8:38:13 PM  Show Profile Send vitusya a Private Message
I have been admiring beautiful outfits in Anny Blatt/Buton D'Or catalogues and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these yarns.

Also, what is the recommended resource to purchase them (obviously online, as the local stores do not carry them)? I am in Canada. I found a website or two with Canadian prices, but their quotes would make the prospective outfit hugely expensive.

Is it possible to find close substitutions for these yarns, and if so what alternatives are recommended?

I will appreciate any info. Thanks!

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  11:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
I think these yarns are fab - we carry them in our shop and they are the highest quality. Wonderful colors and great design team for somewhat fancy stuff. Not for beginning knitters.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

vitusya
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:27:48 AM  Show Profile Send vitusya a Private Message
Umbaba, thank you for the feedback. I would not call myself a beginner knitter as I have been knitting since the age of 10 :) I am also originally from Europe and appreciate a little bit of a dressy touch in an outfit, even if it is meant for everyday wear. Hence my admiration for AB\BD patterns :)

Did you or anyone you know actually knit anything using these yarns? I am asking this because I've encountered a few negative pieces of feedback on selected AB yarns, specifically that the yarn was not worth the money and that if not secured with a little knot in the end the yarn would actually fall apart ...

I already started a jacket from the recent AB collection and already 1) discovered a mistake in the instructions 2)noticed that the discrepancies between the recommended sizes and one's measurements are huge - if I followed AB's size table (which is based on one's measurements), I could wrap the item in that size twice around my body ...

Other than that, I still look forward to creating a number of AB outfits and will appreciate more feedback from other fellow knitters :)
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  08:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
Going slightly off-topic here, my mom bought me a bag of a discontinued Amy Blatt yarn at a thrift store--a wool/angora blend in a heathery gray with touches of rose. Gorgeous stuff. I'm thinking that when I'm more experienced with Fair Isle, I'm going to make myself a cardigan using the Amy Blatt yarn extensively. (There's not enough for an entire sweater, sadly.)

Go to Top of Page

jennybensmom
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:28:54 PM  Show Profile Send jennybensmom a Private Message
The few small items I've knit with Anny Blatt yarns came out beautifully with no problems: a scarf and hat made out of Albatros, the drop stitch scarf from Angora and ribbon yarn and wristwarmers from a discontinued ball of alpaca. The yarns handled well, only one knot out of 4 balls of Albatros. I don't have any exerience with their patterns, though.

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  02:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I used Angora Supreme for my wedding capelet - it is beautiful my only concern is the cost which is high!

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  04:53:44 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Did you see that there's an Anny Blatt pattern book called The Best of... or something like that? A hardcover book. It came out a year or two ago. You might want to check it out - I'll bet you could take a look on Amazon.com.
Carol S.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?