Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting through a child's death
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

imamshua
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  3:26:46 PM  Show Profile Send imamshua a Private Message
Tabbico

My deepest sympathy, I am so sorry for your loss and cannot imagine your pain. It sounds like you are surrounded by loving family and friends and that is something to be very grateful for.

Sally

If you think you're too small to be effective you have never been in bed with a mosquito - Bette Reese
Go to Top of Page

imamshua
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  3:26:46 PM  Show Profile Send imamshua a Private Message
Tabbico

My deepest sympathy, I am so sorry for your loss and cannot imagine your pain. It sounds like you are surrounded by loving family and friends and that is something to be very grateful for.

Sally

If you think you're too small to be effective you have never been in bed with a mosquito - Bette Reese
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
So sorry for your loss. But thank you so much for the sacrifice your family has made. Your son was a true hero. The memory afghan sounds like a wonderful idea to honor his memory.

There are many other families in your situation. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all contribute a square to make memory afghans for those familiies as well?
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
So sorry for your loss. But thank you so much for the sacrifice your family has made. Your son was a true hero. The memory afghan sounds like a wonderful idea to honor his memory.

There are many other families in your situation. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all contribute a square to make memory afghans for those familiies as well?
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  5:33:54 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
While I wouldn't wish that anyone had to make such a terrible sacrifice, I'd like to say thank you for giving the world a son who was willing to help others by serving in the military.

He made a very real contribution that can never be discounted.

I hope your heart heals enough to enjoy your family and the rest of your life.

Trish

P.S. I totally understand that you wanted to knit that "urn cozy". I see it as a way to stay connected and to comfort the memory of your son in a way no one else can.
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  5:33:54 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
While I wouldn't wish that anyone had to make such a terrible sacrifice, I'd like to say thank you for giving the world a son who was willing to help others by serving in the military.

He made a very real contribution that can never be discounted.

I hope your heart heals enough to enjoy your family and the rest of your life.

Trish

P.S. I totally understand that you wanted to knit that "urn cozy". I see it as a way to stay connected and to comfort the memory of your son in a way no one else can.
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  6:17:10 PM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
Tabicco, today is the 15th anniversary of the death of my daughter. The circumstances of our losses are different, but we are the same, you and I.

I'm really pleased that you perservered and did what you needed to do, in spite of the fact that your family thought you were crazy. What they didn't understand is that you were doing what you needed to do to try to get back a little sanity. Over the years I have taken a line from one of John Lennon's songs as my mantra: "Whatever gets you through the night, 'salright, 'salright."

I have found it comforting in a strange way to be in contact with others who have been on this sad road for a longer time than I have. It has helped me both to know that they are making it through the nights and that the grief is still a part of their lives.

I've found for myself that the quality of the grief hasn't changed at all. It's just that I've learned more coping mechanisms to get me from one day to the next.

I hope that my posting has given you a little comfort, too.

{{Hugs}} to you.
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Chatty Knitter

198 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  6:17:10 PM  Show Profile Send Deni a Private Message
Tabicco, today is the 15th anniversary of the death of my daughter. The circumstances of our losses are different, but we are the same, you and I.

I'm really pleased that you perservered and did what you needed to do, in spite of the fact that your family thought you were crazy. What they didn't understand is that you were doing what you needed to do to try to get back a little sanity. Over the years I have taken a line from one of John Lennon's songs as my mantra: "Whatever gets you through the night, 'salright, 'salright."

I have found it comforting in a strange way to be in contact with others who have been on this sad road for a longer time than I have. It has helped me both to know that they are making it through the nights and that the grief is still a part of their lives.

I've found for myself that the quality of the grief hasn't changed at all. It's just that I've learned more coping mechanisms to get me from one day to the next.

I hope that my posting has given you a little comfort, too.

{{Hugs}} to you.
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:15:56 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
When I became an American citizen, the judge who performed the ceremony said that each of us has someone to thank for helping us get our citizenship. He went on to say that while thanking a family member or a friend was important, we should really be thanking a veteran. I owe my citizenship to your son and your family for making the ultimate sacrifice. You are forever in my prayers.

Mari
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:15:56 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
When I became an American citizen, the judge who performed the ceremony said that each of us has someone to thank for helping us get our citizenship. He went on to say that while thanking a family member or a friend was important, we should really be thanking a veteran. I owe my citizenship to your son and your family for making the ultimate sacrifice. You are forever in my prayers.

Mari
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:58:31 PM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
I admireand applaud you and anyone who has continued to live their lives after the death of a child. My brother died 10 years ago (not a vet but under difficult circumstances) and watching my mom try to cope with it made me realize that parents should never have to outlive their children. Now that I'm a mom with a 5 y/o DS, I can't even imagine how I would get through each day if he were taken from me. Your loss touches my very soul and you have my heart and prayers for your continued healing.

*~*Lori*~*

My finished projects: http://community.webshots.com/album/308469463umpbHG

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:58:31 PM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
I admireand applaud you and anyone who has continued to live their lives after the death of a child. My brother died 10 years ago (not a vet but under difficult circumstances) and watching my mom try to cope with it made me realize that parents should never have to outlive their children. Now that I'm a mom with a 5 y/o DS, I can't even imagine how I would get through each day if he were taken from me. Your loss touches my very soul and you have my heart and prayers for your continued healing.

*~*Lori*~*

My finished projects: http://community.webshots.com/album/308469463umpbHG

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  8:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
Your afgan is a wonderful concept - knitting thorough grief seems like the perfect thing to me.
I am so very sorry for your loss - my heart goes out to you.

May no other children die in war.

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  8:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
Your afgan is a wonderful concept - knitting thorough grief seems like the perfect thing to me.
I am so very sorry for your loss - my heart goes out to you.

May no other children die in war.

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  3:45:40 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
I thank you all for your kind words. Of all the weird things, yesterday I came home and found my DH on the sofa holding a Christmas card and crying. It was from our son's unit wishing us a Merry Christmas and remembering Donald. They all signed it.

Take my word for it, no one should outlive their children. I am a Civil War reenactor, and during those times, women might have 12-14 children and only a few of them would live past the age of 5. I have no idea how those women handled that.

Polly

www.tabbico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  3:45:40 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
I thank you all for your kind words. Of all the weird things, yesterday I came home and found my DH on the sofa holding a Christmas card and crying. It was from our son's unit wishing us a Merry Christmas and remembering Donald. They all signed it.

Take my word for it, no one should outlive their children. I am a Civil War reenactor, and during those times, women might have 12-14 children and only a few of them would live past the age of 5. I have no idea how those women handled that.

Polly

www.tabbico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  8:15:40 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Polly,

I am so very sorry for your loss, I too lost a child.

You must have been and still are very proud of your brave son.

I'm so glad the afghan helped you to heal.

My prayers are with you.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  8:15:40 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Polly,

I am so very sorry for your loss, I too lost a child.

You must have been and still are very proud of your brave son.

I'm so glad the afghan helped you to heal.

My prayers are with you.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia
Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  1:29:21 PM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message
*hugs*

I'm so sorry.
Go to Top of Page

2trees