Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting through a child's death
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:11:43 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
Well, it's been a year and a half, and I finally am writing about this. We lost our oldest son in Iraq two summers ago, and the military gave him a lovely funeral. He had wanted to be cremated, so I knit a red, white and blue "cremation urn cozy", for lack of a better term for it. My family thought I was crazy, but I wanted/needed to do it. After the funeral, I held on to it for a while, and then got the idea of using it as a first piece of a memory afghan. I made other squares and my knitting family members and friends contributed pieces. I just finished getting it together, and it is wonderful. At this point, it is a drape over the table where we have his flag case and medals. Where it goes next, I don't know, but it was great therapy and the whole effort of making it has been healing and helpful for the family.

www.tabbico.blogspot.com

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
God bless you and your family in your loss. Your memory afhgan sounds truly lovely. I am glad that it brings comfort to you and your family.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
God bless you and your family in your loss. Your memory afhgan sounds truly lovely. I am glad that it brings comfort to you and your family.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Tabbico, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that knitting is giving you some comfort. Please take care.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Tabbico, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that knitting is giving you some comfort. Please take care.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for your sacrifice for us all! Your knitting project sounds like a lovely way to honor your precious son's memory. Thank you for sharing your story.
Go to Top of Page

Sher
Permanent Resident

1292 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  1:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Sher a Yahoo! Message Send Sher a Private Message
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thank you for your sacrifice for us all! Your knitting project sounds like a lovely way to honor your precious son's memory. Thank you for sharing your story.
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  2:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Time heals all wounds - but the pain of the death of a loved one, especially a son/daughter, only dulls. I don;t think it ever completely goes away. What a lovely way of coping with this situation. My thoughts and prayers, also, are with you and your family.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  2:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Time heals all wounds - but the pain of the death of a loved one, especially a son/daughter, only dulls. I don;t think it ever completely goes away. What a lovely way of coping with this situation. My thoughts and prayers, also, are with you and your family.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  6:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
My heart goes out to you.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  6:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
My heart goes out to you.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

fuzzywuzzy
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:43:29 PM  Show Profile Send fuzzywuzzy a Private Message
I am so very sorry for your loss. Your son was a hero.

I taught my friend to knit when she was grieving the loss of her 16 year old son in a car accident. It has really helped her. We are taking some scarves we knit to an inner city mission to give as Christmas gifts in her son's memory. Knitting helped when there were no words...

I know this Christmas will be difficult...prayers are with you.

Kristin

Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

fuzzywuzzy
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:43:29 PM  Show Profile Send fuzzywuzzy a Private Message
I am so very sorry for your loss. Your son was a hero.

I taught my friend to knit when she was grieving the loss of her 16 year old son in a car accident. It has really helped her. We are taking some scarves we knit to an inner city mission to give as Christmas gifts in her son's memory. Knitting helped when there were no words...

I know this Christmas will be difficult...prayers are with you.

Kristin

Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  02:32:03 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
May God bless you and your family always!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  02:32:03 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
May God bless you and your family always!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

Diane
Gabber Extraordinaire

366 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  09:33:23 AM  Show Profile Send Diane a Private Message
Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of your son. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Go to Top of Page

Diane
Gabber Extraordinaire

366 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  09:33:23 AM  Show Profile Send Diane a Private Message
Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of your son. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Tabbico-

Someone who has lost a spouse is a widow or widower,
A child that lost their parents is called an orphan,

But we have no name for someone who has lost a child,
Because that loss cannot be contained in one word, or in many.

My condolences and sincerest sympathy over your loss and prayers for your young man in his new better place.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

NaNoWriMo 2005 username: KDCROWLEY
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Tabbico-

Someone who has lost a spouse is a widow or widower,
A child that lost their parents is called an orphan,

But we have no name for someone who has lost a child,
Because that loss cannot be contained in one word, or in many.

My condolences and sincerest sympathy over your loss and prayers for your young man in his new better place.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

NaNoWriMo 2005 username: KDCROWLEY
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Tabbico - I am so very sorry for your loss. The memory afghan sounds lovely and it sounds like a loving tribute.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Tabbico - I am so very sorry for your loss. The memory afghan sounds lovely and it sounds like a loving tribute.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth